PDA

View Full Version : Happy National Grammar Day!

aspiecat
03-05-2015, 08:59 AM
To celebrate National Grammar Day, let's look at this part of LA.

How important is a solid grounding in grammar? Is society's knowledge of grammar lessening over the years and, if so, why is that happening? I personally think kids - especially those in regular school - are not being taught grammar as they once were, and that it's a huge dumbing-down of children's academics.

Another question to ask is: Do homeschooled children tend to have a better grasp on grammar than regular-schooled children? I think they do in general, especially if we send our kids to school and expect their only academic education to be covered by said school. Considering many of us are constantly looking at grammar curricula, I'd say we homeschooling parents are at the very least actively thinking about it.

alexsmom
03-05-2015, 07:34 PM
After seeing the same work in grades K-3 workbooks, Im quitting the grammar instruction for a while. For us, they were lots of tears, and not a lot of learning. (Subject-Verb/predicate agreement worksheets get a bit monotonous.) As much as I would love to do sentence diagramming with DS (no sarcasm), I think it will wait til he is in middle school ages before revisiting it. Or when he learns foreign language grammar. For now, our grammar consists of Mad Libs and whatever topics are brought up in our BraveWriter copywork discussions. I think the BW author commented that kids will learn grammar better when they take foreign language than they do from years of having it taught to them in elementary school.
But my kid isnt writing-oriented.

ikslo
03-05-2015, 07:46 PM

Yup. That about sums it up.

fastweedpuller
03-06-2015, 11:16 AM
I figure it was a fine skill to develop for MadLibs, but otherwise I don't stress it much.

She's only 5th grade though. When she gets older and has to produce more writing, I will probably become a bit more of a nag. But for now, meh. I've got bigger homeschool fish to fry.

KittyP
03-07-2015, 12:52 AM
I try really REALLY hard not to stress it with Kiddo. I mean he's just getting to the point where he can write coherently as it is, no need to go throwing oxford commas and semicolons in the mix just yet. I assuage my need to teach grammar by watching School House Rock with him now and then and making corrections when his lack of punctuation becomes too much for me. (I do believe in comma, I do, I do...)

Starkspack
03-07-2015, 06:57 AM
Be still my heart. National Grammar Day? Sign me up!!

I agree that age appropriateness is the way to go, but I can't see the wisdom in letting children persist with incorrect grammar until they are older. The longer habits are ingrained, the harder it is to change them. For example, I hear kids that are my daughter's age consistently making the mistake of proper use of subject versus object pronouns. "Me and her want to go!" "Me and Mary have our books already." That sort of thing. Every time I hear DD say things like this incorrectly, I correct her. As a result, she has VERY good grammar for her age (6.5) compared to her peers. To me, spoken mistakes like this are an assault on the ear, and I cannot for the life of me understand why parents don't correct their children. I guess I've assumed that these parents assume that school will straighten them out? Who knows.

In contrast, my DD is a very new writer, and therefore I am much more lenient about her written grammar at this point. I will point out the egregious things, like lack of capitalization at the beginning of a sentence or a missing period at the end. If she were to write something like the examples above, I would ask her to read it out loud and see if she thought it was correct. But at this stage, I agree with KittyP - it is too soon for the finer points of grammar. Again, age-appropriateness should be maintained, lest we squash all the joy out of writing before they even really get going.

As a disclaimer, I should say that DD actually loves grammar study. We did Growing with Grammar a bit, but that was boring and repetitive to DD, so I launched her into MCT's first level books, and we are really enjoying those. Am I raising a fellow grammar nerd? I certainly hope so!!!