PDA

View Full Version : Project based Homeschooling with a group

Elly
02-23-2015, 11:00 PM
Has anyone every tried this? I'm re-reading the Lori Pickert book, as DS seems to be gravitating towards PBH at the moment. I'd also been thinking that I'd like him to do some collaborative work next school year, and it seemed that the two might be a good combination. She talks about group projects in the book, but I'm not sure how it would work if not in a classroom environment.

Any experiences or suggestions?
Elly

Elly
02-24-2015, 06:28 PM
I wonder whether it would work in practice. We're moving slowly to doing some PBL at home, and one of the nice things is doing a bit every day. I wonder about the reality of finding a group of kids interested in the same thing, meeting regularly, supplying what they want. Anyway. I'm going to keep looking and try and have a go!

Reverie
03-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Ellycp, I've been looking into PBH for my daughter and exploring Lori Pickert's website and blog. She seems to answer questions regularly on her blog- perhaps the blog might be of help to you.

Elly
03-02-2015, 10:46 PM
I did find an article there. I was really hoping for different experiences, but maybe it's just not something that many people have done! I'm not sure it would work well, perhaps PBH is better as an individual thing and we should find other ways to do more collaborative work

Elly

Solong
03-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Elly, have you tried changing your search terminology to 'problem-based'? You might come up with more ideas/resources that way.

A local mum just set up a presentation day for kids doing project-based. They can give speeches, bring educational displays... anything that facilitates them sharing their passions with the other kiddos. It's a great way for independent project-based kids to get together with their 'tribe', despite wildly varying interests.

Crystal830
03-03-2015, 06:41 PM
I've hosted project groups at my home before, but with the kids never working on the same project, except for once. One summer I hosted continuous meetings with the same people every week, but what the kids worked on varied greatly from week to week and even separately during the group meeting. Another time we got a group of kids together with the express purpose of creating houses and/or buildings, which resulted in them putting them together to create a community that they named, appointed a Mayor, etc.

I think Project Groups are really great for experimenting, but not so much for in-depth project studies. They give the kids the chance to toy around with ideas, be inspired by the work of others, work collaboratively if they choose, etc.

fedelm
03-04-2015, 02:01 PM
We're primarily doing PBH with my 5 year old (and almost 3 year old) and it's going really well. In particular I like how PBH gives parents tools to support their child's interests and help them deepen an exploration. It also works really well with my daughter's personality and learning style, since she tends to obsess about a topic for months on end, drop it for a few months, and then come back with a deeper understanding than she had before.

I have several friends in the area who are also doing PBH, but we haven't been able to figure out how do to a full Project with a group. As a disclaimer, Lori Pickert lives in my area, but I haven't met her. She doesn't do local workshops. The school she started is still around and thriving, and a fairly popular option for those who want a less-structured private school experience.

Elly
03-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Hi,
Thanks for all the extra posts and ideas, I will have a think about those things. What is Lori Pickert's school called? I got the impression from what she wrote that it folded, so I'm curious!

Elly

fedelm
03-05-2015, 06:26 PM
I don't know the history of the school, but to my knowledge it was originally a Reggio Emilio preschool, and then stepped away slightly from the Reggio model and came under the umbrella of the local university. This is the first year that it had a 5th grade class (my next door neighbor and a friend's kid is part of it).

RachelC
03-05-2015, 09:42 PM
See if there is an Odyssey of the Mind or Destination Imagination team near you, or start one!

Elly
03-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Oh thanks, I'll look into that! I feel too lazy and overwhelmed at the moment to start anything up, but maybe I need to get myself in gear and do it