PDA

View Full Version : YouTube for kids app

Mariam
02-20-2015, 03:52 PM
I found this article and it looks promising:

YouTube unveils new app for kids (http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/02/19/youtube-for-kids-new-android-app-out-feb-23/23707819/)

But it is for Android OS only. :( (sad iOS user)

alexsmom
02-20-2015, 06:09 PM
I like the idea, but then wonder.... how do *they* decide what is appropriate? Does it prevent the use of typing in youtube.com in a web browser and having uncensored access?

Is Stampy (Minecraft) approved? What about Minecraft personalities who cuss?

The article didnt say whether parents could add channels to the kids app? I know Ive searched for things *John Deere Tractors* and gotten some pretty mixed results - including where the preview pic was a set of boobs.

Im curious to see how it will turn out. And Ill have to wait til they have an IOS app.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Even appropriate videos have trolls who leave nasty comments. I mean, really vulgar and cruel comments. YouTube is something my kids are never allowed without supervision.

Mariam
02-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Actually I use Video Monster app for the iPad and it works great. I have full control over what we watch.

alexsmom
02-21-2015, 12:43 AM
Actually I use Video Monster app for the iPad and it works great. I have full control over what we watch.

Videomonster (http://videomonsterapp.com)

Thats cool! Thanks for sharing!

Does it have to have the archaic looking television set, which kids using will never have seen irl?

Riceball_Mommy
02-21-2015, 08:55 AM
I like that the youtube kids apps says it will eliminate user comments in the app. It won't be for ios right away which I thought apple was still really popular or did it start it's decline shortly after I got one. I always seem to get on board with things when they stop being in.
Anyway I'm going to check out Video Monsters that sounds neat.

CrazyMom
02-21-2015, 09:54 AM
iOS folk....I've recently come to the conclusion that Android is likely the future.

If you look at the global consumption of these two products...Android is killing iOS.

In the US, Apple is alive and well....but not so in the global market. Due to Andoid's open source code, it's more attractive to private developers, schools and universities.

Elle's college apps are all Android based. While there are iOS options offered, they're not maintained as well, and there is much less support available. This has become problematic to the degree she switched her iphone for a Samsung Galaxy...simply because the apps are more regularly updated and better supported. (definitely an issue if you want to check dining menus, bus schedules, laundry availability, check your financial aid, grades, and turn things into professors who are at the mercy of an almost entirely Android devoted tech support system)

72 of the top 100 universities in the US use Google apps (Android).

Might be wrong about this...and I'm sure Apple, particularly in the States will do well for some time....but I can't help but see the writing on the wall a little.

Just my $.02

Mariam
02-21-2015, 02:57 PM
Videomonster (http://videomonsterapp.com)

Thats cool! Thanks for sharing!

Does it have to have the archaic looking television set, which kids using will never have seen irl?

Yup That is it. I couldn't find their website when I posted. I am glad that you found it.:) We really like it. No commercials, I have full control of the viewing. It is a little clunky to get create the lists of videos, but for me it is worth it.

pdpele
02-21-2015, 06:45 PM
youtube and lots of other sites like it have privacy/security settings where you can set comments to be disabled/not displayed
displayed

your internet browser can also be set for different 'profiles' with similar security/privacy bands

alexsmom
02-23-2015, 05:29 PM
This was launched and its on IOS too!
YouTube Kids launches on Android and iOS | VentureBeat | Media | by Emil Protalinski (http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/23/youtube-kids-launches-on-android-and-ios/)

deenamathew
02-24-2015, 04:23 AM
Thanks for sharing the video.

Mariam
02-24-2015, 12:43 PM
I downloaded this morning!

There are a couple of things I don't like. One, The I don't like is that I can't pick and choose which show/channels that I can set up to watch. We have to go with what YouTube set up. That won't work for us. 2) they will still show commercials. :(

I think I will stick with Video Monster. It takes more work on my end, but I have more control over the content.

alexsmom
02-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Uggg Im glad I didnt try it yet then! Thanks for the review! Knowing we cant decide whats appropriate is a big turn-off for my non-sheep mentalities!

alexsmom
03-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Alright, I broke down and tried the youtube app... and it was terrible. And not filtered very well. My almost 3 yr old discovered you tube as the place for all videos on demand.... so I thought at least the kids version would save me some trouble.
In the *train videos* group, mixed in with legitimate train videos (Not my thing, but Im not judging) were ones labeled train videos for kids which were toy trains being taken out of the box and played with. Like a long commercial! Baby loves these - me... not so much.

Video Monster, however... so awesome! I set up playlists for the baby, as well as some for DS9 on his ipad. I also love that I could download the youtube videos on the list for offline playing.

Excellent recommendation, thank you so much!

alexsmom
05-20-2015, 06:37 PM
VideoMonster is temporarily free!
It is a really nice app, unfortunately they are in the process of fixing it so that you can search youtube (so it doesnt really work).

We use it for making playlists by categories we select (Preschool & Nursery songs, thomas videos, real trains in action videos, etc). Its easy to quickly add / delete videos to / from each list. The 3 yr old has no problems navigating around the non- settings area to find which videos he wants to watch.
I made separate playlists for DS9 with crash course & other educational videos neatly lined up for us.
So Im very bummed that youtube changed how they work so video monster must update. :(

Youtube for kids is still free-for-all. Super easy to go from something Mother Approved to not-approved.

Mariam
05-20-2015, 06:53 PM
I have never used the search within VideoMonster so I never noticed that it wasn't working. I usually make the play list on the computer and then access it from the VM interface, which still works.

I never went back to the YouTube for Kids after that first trial. There are too many problems with it. I would prefer that it worked like VM. What I don't get are these companies that make app for video access that don't take parents wanting to provide some restrictions for kids and not the company. Netflix is another one that is a problem for me. I wish that for the kids, I could make a play list and DS could choose from the list. Ugh.