PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Menus

aspiecat
01-29-2015, 09:12 PM
I am not a fan of sports per se...I definitely do not watch any sport, aside from when I am lucky to watch a televised matched played by the All Blacks.

However, I decided we should pretend to watch the Superbowl this Sunday as I have some ideas for sliders, coleslaw and buffalo wings, and I need an excuse to make 'em.

I also want to try lamingtons this weekend and they'd be perfect as a sweet end to the aforementioned "game food".

Anyone else planning to make something special for the Superbowl? Or like me, might just use the game as an excuse to make stuff you've been meaning to make for a while?

Aspie

Mum2rc
01-29-2015, 10:31 PM
I was just discussing this last night with DH, neither of us is interested in watching the Superbowl especially from Canada where don't get to see the non-sport entertainment but a day of junk food was appealing to him, mozza sticks were mentioned.

CrazyMom
01-29-2015, 11:49 PM
We always go out to dinner on SuperBowl Sunday at an extra nice restaurant:)

Been eyeing a great place that you want to try, but you can't seem to get a reservation? Try Super Bowl Sunday. You can get a reservation at a GREAT table, and have a quiet gorgeous dinner. No lines. No waiting.

We do Valentine's Day early on SuperBowl Sunday for just this reason. (I HATE dining out on Valentine's...everyplace is so off-the-hook and stressful)

inmom
01-30-2015, 07:04 AM
Game? What game??

alexsmom
02-01-2015, 07:44 PM
For years, we would go to a usually crowded local restaurant at 5pm.... no waiting, no crowds!
We also bought a car on Superbowl Sunday a few years ago - nobody else was car shopping it seemed.

Its a great day to go do things without crowds! :)

Sorry, no special SuperBowl recipes to share.

BatDad
02-01-2015, 08:25 PM
I did not even realize the day arrived. My wife mentioned how she will be hearing about it tonight at work, and I thought it was a couple weeks away.

CrazyMom
02-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Poop! We were hoping to go to this awesome new Mediterranean restaurant, but instead....we got a foot of snow. Might be 14-16 inches by morning. Sheesh.

(we were supposed to get 1-3)

ejsmom
02-01-2015, 09:08 PM
We used to have a party every year, mainly to watch the commercials, half time show, and an excuse to have a party in the horrible part of winter. Because DH totally doesn't care about football, and neither do I. The past couple of years, it's just been the three of us, though. DS got into sports this past year, following his high school age cousin play high school football. He likes the statistics, history, and marketing/business end of sports, though. Anyway, I made buffalo chicken (just breast meat cut into bite sized chunks), and baked sweet potatoes, and salad, and had a beer. Normally I'd put out a huge spread for a party though - I bake potatoes ahead of time and keep them in the warmer, make a big pot of nacho cheese, put out tortilla chips, make a crockpot of taco seasoned ground beef, and another of buffalo chicken bits, pork BBQ, or chili, and then put out all kinds of chopped up veggies - lettuce, olives, onions, blue cheese crumbles, salsa, sour cream, celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, black beans, etc. Then people can top their baked potatoes, nacho chips, or make a salad, or just eat chili or pork BBQ, or graze all evening, or whatever. It suits everyone's diet - paleo, gluten-free, carb free, vegan, etc. I also usually put out 2 desserts - bars/cookies, and then a cake, pie, or cheesecake. I had a dinner party for DH's graduation last week, so I was happy to skip a Superbowl party this year.

BlueblinkC
02-01-2015, 09:31 PM
We're not huge football fans, but we pigged out today. For tonight, I made chicken tenders and rolled them in a honey barbecue sauce, garlic french fries for those that wanted them. I also made a guacamole dip that we ate with our tortilla chips, I made mini-cupcakes, I left a veggie tray with some spinach-artichoke dip in the fridge where the kids could snack all day.

ikslo
02-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Dh worked, DS watched Stampy videos, and I put together a Rainbow Resource order. No football food here. :)