PDA

View Full Version : Gluten-free popovers

Misha
01-26-2015, 11:25 PM
Please, someone, tell me they're not too bad. I want popovers in the worst way and a while back my doc told me to completely cut out gluten. I've been getting gluten-free flour from Trader Joe's since I'm not brave enough yet to make my own, and it's not bad at all, but I haven't baked yet with it - I've only made pizza dough.

If you or someone in your family is gf what kind of flour do you like best for baking savory items?

Thank you!

dragonfly
01-27-2015, 12:05 AM
I think GF Bisquick is brilliant. Mechanically leavened breads seem to work better with gf, at least for me. I've made biscuits, pancakes,pizza crust, and corn fritters with it, and they were all really good. I've heard that King Arthur's GF All-Purpose Baking Mix is at least as good, but I can't get it anywhere nearby, so I haven't had a chance to try it. I bet either would work well for you, in fact I found a popover recipe online specifically using the KA mix.

I found a recipe online for how to make your own GF Bisquick, and it was very easy. My one complaint about the boxed mixes is that they don't come in a large enough size, so making my own mix solved that problem.

ETA: Oh! I think I also made dumplings with this stuff once. They were good, but shrunk fairly quickly when they were out of the hot soup. Still tasty, but very dense.

amradiofairyland
01-27-2015, 06:20 AM
I've got no advice on the popover front (I'm allergic to eggs--so nothing quite so fluffy for me, I'm afraid), but as for GF, I have celiac and have tried most of the pre-made flour brands available. I like Better Batter very well for all-purpose. Namaste is also good, if a bit expensive.

I often just make my own mix. I find that, for taste/texture, the more different kinds of flour you use the more like non-GF your baked goods taste. I like this ratio:

1 cup sorghum
1 cup tapioca
cup almond meal or millet flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum

Also, the blog Gluten Free Goddess (http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/12/baking-cooking-substitutions-for-gluten.html) has a great page of info on GF baking tips and flour substitutions:

skrink
01-27-2015, 06:32 AM
Egg, dairy, and gluten allergies here. Baking is a challenge, I've found, but I've had success with Cybele Pascal's The Allergen=Free Baker's Handbook. I don't specifically remember popovers but the scones are wonderful. Her basic flour mix is: 4 c superfine brown rice flour, 1-1/3 c potato starch, 2/3 c tapioca flour. She also stressed measuring the flour by spooning it into the measuring cup (as opposed to using the cup to scoop it up) before leveling it off. That keeps it from compressing too much so you don't end up with more than you need.

Misha
01-29-2015, 02:33 AM
I found a vegan recipe for gf popovers and I'll give them a try - I've just been desperately craving popovers recently. :) Here's hoping they turn out well.