PDA

View Full Version : Books that keep you motivated... as a mom/woman

herstrangemind
01-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Hi! The school year is about half over and I need some inspirational reads to keep my fire going! Please pass along any recommendations for books that encourage you go the extra mile, inspire you to be focused and present in the moment, and help nurture yourself and your family. Thanks!

Karen

CrazyMom
01-19-2015, 01:03 PM
We have a few awesome guys among us who homeschool, too:)

Best inspiration I ever had....and truthfully, the only inspiration I ever really needed....was Elle's sweet little face, her awesome humor, hubby's hard work and support, and spending time with the two of them at the end of the day.

I know that sounds incredibly precious and sweet to the degree you want to gag on it....lol. But it's dead true.

Ain't no self help book that helped me go the extra mile... like making one of them smile. Nothing inspired me more than a hug and kiss or a thank you.

I'm fairly self indulgent naturally...lol...so self nurturing wasn't a problem. Family nurturing is something we all pitched in on.

I think it's easy to be focused and present....when you like your life. Sometimes I think when you have to try really hard to accomplish this, it means maybe some changes need to be made?

Accidental Homeschooler
01-20-2015, 04:31 PM
I also find books inspirational when I am in a slump. I like Flylady, though I understand why some people find her annoying. To me she is sort of like a grandmotherly figure who tells me to shut up and get busy, but with love and a hug lol. I like David Cain's website raptitude.com. There are books written about my dd's LD that I also find inspirational. I read Gretchen Rubin's book, The Happiness Project and liked it too, especially the research about happiness and the things that affect it...

My dds' sweet faces are definitely not enough some days. And I disagree that it is easy for anybody to stay focused on the present or be in the moment when they like their life. Temperament/personality/personal history all play roles too. Sometimes you need to make changes in your life. Sometimes you need to make changes in how you think about your life.

KiddyKat
01-21-2015, 07:55 PM
I do not usually like parenting books, but I LOVE this one..

http://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-Mothers-Approach-Yourself-Children/dp/1742373771/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421883956&sr=8-1&keywords=buddhism+for+mothers

There are three or four different books to cover each age range.

kadylaha
03-15-2015, 08:28 PM
Bootstrapper: FromBroke to Badass on a Northern Michigan Farm (by Mardi Jo Link; fantastic and just a touch creepy because she is living my life, I mean practically word for word).

Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living (massive, exhaustive, has EVERYTHING in it about canning, breadmaking, gardening, farm animals, and how to live on the cheap).

Stephen King's On Writing (beccause I'm trying to be one billionth as brilliant as he is).

The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise and Jessie Wise Bauer (because its the backbone of our classical learning style).

The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama (because we all need some Buddhist philosophy in our lives).