PDA

View Full Version : Favorite history videos

Mariam
01-11-2015, 08:38 PM
I am looking for favorite history videos for elementary-aged kids. I started creating a list, but I wondering if there were others that I am missing.

This is what I have on my list so far:
Time Warp Trio
Justin Time
Hysteria
Crash Course
Liberty Kids
and I found a great list at the BBC BBC - Schools Ages 4-11 - History Sites (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/websites/4_11/site/history.shtml)

Suggestions? Recommendations? Thanks!

Elly
01-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Horrible histories? I think it's more british focus, although i understand someone made a version with more us history.

Mariam
01-11-2015, 11:44 PM
Yes! I completely forgot about those. Thanks!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
01-12-2015, 08:21 AM
David Macaulay's series (Pyramid, Castle, Cathedral, etc)

What the Ancients Did for Us (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_Ancients_Did_for_Us) (nine-episode BBC series about the contributions of the Islamic, Chinese, Roman, and other civilizations)

How the States Got Their Shapes (First season only! The second season has a different format and deals with more PG-13 topics)

amradiofairyland
01-12-2015, 11:35 AM
I second the above. My daughter really liked Liberty's Kids and Horrible Histories videos found online.

Not exactly a history show, but set in the Qing Dynasty is Sagwa the Cat. Several episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation use the holo deck to recreate historical events (e.g the old west in "A Fistful of Datas"). I have no idea how much or little accuracy is presented, but when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s I loved the TV show Voyagers, about a man and a boy who trailed to different times.

amradiofairyland
01-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Also: The States is supposed to be good, and I think HBO did a Dear America series (based on the book series).

Mariam
01-12-2015, 01:19 PM
I second the above. My daughter really liked Liberty's Kids and Horrible Histories videos found online.

Not exactly a history show, but set in the Qing Dynasty is Sagwa the Cat. Several episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation use the holo deck to recreate historical events (e.g the old west in "A Fistful of Datas"). I have no idea how much or little accuracy is presented, but when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s I loved the TV show Voyagers, about a man and a boy who trailed to different times.

I was just thinking about Voyagers last night! I loved that show!

CrazyGooseLady
01-12-2015, 03:25 PM
My kids (yes, elementary) love(d) History Detectives, Secrets of the Dead, and most of the American Experience videos. And some of the Ken Burns....Lewis and Clark specifically. These might be great things for you and Dad to watch and invite the kids to come watch with you if you think they will balk at watching among themselves. If you are interested in them, the kids are liable to be as well. I don't worry about remembering facts for history in early grades, it is more getting a big picture idea. Of course, blood, gore and death are always fascinating to most kids, but those shows are generally rated G, so there is not much visual.

Mariam
01-12-2015, 04:00 PM
My kids (yes, elementary) love(d) History Detectives, Secrets of the Dead, and most of the American Experience videos. And some of the Ken Burns....Lewis and Clark specifically. These might be great things for you and Dad to watch and invite the kids to come watch with you if you think they will balk at watching among themselves. If you are interested in them, the kids are liable to be as well. I don't worry about remembering facts for history in early grades, it is more getting a big picture idea. Of course, blood, gore and death are always fascinating to most kids, but those shows are generally rated G, so there is not much visual.

And that reminds me that some NOVA programs cover history too. I need to sift through PBS' programming a little more. I watch quite a bit, but usually after bedtime!

I am with you, I am looking for big picture ideas. I will have to check some of these out.

Elly
01-13-2015, 10:10 AM
I was thinking that it would be great to have a way of making a more permanent resource of this kind of information (e.g. topic and grade/age level). Any ideas?!

Elly

saripants
01-13-2015, 01:34 PM
I was thinking that it would be great to have a way of making a more permanent resource of this kind of information (e.g. topic and grade/age level). Any ideas?!

Elly

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! For anyone really good at organization and stuff like that... :)

Mariam
01-13-2015, 01:59 PM

Elly

Currently I have a blog, which is less of a blog and more of a list of resources.

Here it is: Choosing Our Own Adventures (http://chooseourownadventures.blogspot.com)

It's pretty spotty, but I am listing everything I find here.

alexsmom
01-13-2015, 06:16 PM

Elly

Oooh yes, and lists of books useful per each topic both fiction and factual.
It seems once you get to the higher grades you can find more cohesive material, but especially the younger grades, if you dont choose Story of the World, you feel lost and disjointed. Well, I did.