PDA

View Full Version : Why Homeschoolers are Winning

IEF
01-05-2015, 08:41 PM
I thought I'd post this for anyone else who wanted to wash their eyes out with something more pleasant after reading the NYT article:

Why Homeschoolers Are Winning - Alternatives to School (http://alternativestoschool.com/2015/01/05/homeschoolers-winning/)

I tend to share the author's low opinion of the whole "there are two kinds of people in this world: winners and losers" culture, but I couldn't help but smile when this popped up in my Diaspora* newsfeed because a young, single, childless man in the tech industry thought it was worth sharing.

PoppinFresh
01-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Diaspora! You have Diaspora! I do, too, but I have never used it because I haven't been able to find anyone else who uses it! What do you think about it? I've had it since it was in beta but just haven't gotten into it.

Now I shall go read the article.

PoppinFresh
01-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Good article! :)

IEF
01-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Diaspora! You have Diaspora! I do, too, but I have never used it because I haven't been able to find anyone else who uses it! What do you think about it?

I'm going to sound like a spammer if I give you an honest answer to your question, lol.

The only downside had been that I haven't been able to find the strong, supportive parenting and homeschooling communities that I had on facepalm after MDC went sour, but that might well change by the time you read this because ThunderclapIt and all the outreach efforts are really paying off! I found my vegan tribe today. <3

hashtags are federated across pods but users aren't so I'd better figure out how to send you a PM here since I couldn't find you over there.

That and quit hijacking my own thread. ;)

aspiecat
01-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Great article. I even have a few standard sites about which I tell people when they doubt my saying homeschoolers generally do much, MUCH better academically than regular-schooled kids. So many people are pretty much brainwashed into thinking the education system, such as it is, actually EDUCATES a child.

Aspie

IEF
01-06-2015, 12:21 PM
I see the brainwashing too, Aspie. I get a lot of compliments about graduating from college on the Dean's list with Highest Honors when I "didn't even go to high school" and people just don't get that this is precisely WHY college was so easy and wonderful for me. I didn't take History of Western Civ because i wanted to punish myself with dry, boring classes, I took it because it was fascinating to me and I had absolutely no background in world history so i was completely clueless and ignorant about the fact that I was supposed to think it was dry and boring.

As more homeschool alumni reach adulthood, i'm sure they'll have much better stories about this than my illustrious self. :P

None of us are completely immune to this sort of brainwashing. I call myself an unschooler on social media to distinguish myself from the denim jumper/Duggar meme but a homeschooler here because I'm way too insecure to completely stop buying curriculum even though I know ds would be just fine if I did.

BatDad
01-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Now that is a much better article. It is still one-sided, albeit leaning toward us homeschoolers, but perhaps that is only fair.