PDA

View Full Version : Hello from PA

silvercufaoil
09-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi! I am homeschooling my two children (ages 3 and 5) in Bangor Area PA. We are new to Pennsylvania, and I would very much like to meet some people, and my kids could use some friends! So, if there is anyone out there that is near us, please drop me a line!

lol Barring that, I am glad there is a community of any type that I can turn to to help me do this! We are fairly new at it, and although we had been considering it for years, the homeschooling thing kind of just fell in our laps. The local school district refused to let our daughter into kindergarten because her birthday was 2 wks too late. She agreed to be tested, but still, the district was unresponsive (as in NONE of my calls were returned.) After that, we decided that there was no reason for us to have to deal with things of that nature any longer. It was kind of freeing to realize there would be no arguments with the teachers, no worries about absences and no joining the PTA! We have made an agreement as a family, that as long as we can meet their social needs and they continue moving forward academically, we will continue homeschooling. (Hence the desperate plea at the beginning!)

I am very glad that I was referred to this website. The tools and links that you guys share on here have been an amazing help to me already! I am sure that once I dive into the groups and forums more I will find a great community to be a part of.

Shoe
09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the site, silvercufaoil. This is a great place to come for support and information. Make sure to check out the "Groups" page and join the PA group there too.

Cheers.

Sarbare0704
09-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Welcome to the group! I hope you find some local support and friends for your kids but as you have already found out this site is also quite helpful!

Topsy
09-15-2010, 07:41 PM
So glad to have you here! I know you will find a definite virtual "community" around these parts! ;) We have LOTS of newbie homeschoolers AND lots of seasoned ones as well, so you will find the perfect mixture of camaraderie and mentoring, I think. Keep us up to date on how things are going for you....

pandahoneybee
09-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the site!~ Very exciting to be able to homeschool from the start! I wish I had the fore sight to do it. My youngest missed it by two days in OR, but he has made up for it since homeschooling. (actually in 3rd grade but doing alot of 4th grade) and I haven't even pushed him he just jumped into it himself! Can't wait to hear more about ya;)

InstinctiveMom
09-18-2010, 01:18 AM
Welcome to the forums! Like Michelle, I'm excited for you :) It's so neat to be on this path from day one.
Happy homeschooling!
~h