PDA

View Full Version : Castle Heights

mommykicksbutt
09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
:confused: Does anyone know about Castle Heights Curriculum? They are lab curriculum for the science class (supposed to go with any science curricula for the same subject). They also have the lab manuals and student notebooks.

I'm interested in only the high school chemistry and high school physics.

I wasn't able to find any "christian" wordings on their website but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are not teaching with a "christian worldview." (I hate that phrase now). I briefly checked out their blog and didn't find anything overly christian there either.

What do you know or have heard about Castle Heights? Are they secular?

Busygoddess
09-14-2010, 11:30 AM
They are not a completely Secular company. I bought Experiences in Biology lab manual & the Data Book that goes with it (for the student to record their labwork) for our labs this year. The description I read mentioned nothing about religion (purchased it from RR not from the publisher directly). However, when I opened it up, I found some Scripture quotes in the lab manual. It's not overwhelming or intrusive, but it's there. So far, I have noticed no faulty Science, no references to God in the lab instructions, nothing other than the occasional Scripture quote at the top of a page.

I have no personal experience with any of their other materials. I did visit the website and saw that they have a Jr high level Science textbook that is written from a "Christian Worldveiw." So, if you want completely Secular, you should probably look elsewhere.

mommykicksbutt
09-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks Brandi. I'll mark that one off my list. I'm just checking out materials for use next year and the following year. I don't want there to be any surprises.

Busygoddess
09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I totally understand not wanting surprises. I wasn't exactly thrilled when I opened the lab manual & found a scripture quote. I was already over budget for the year, though (plus, it's just a lab manual, not a text) so I had to make it work. Luckily, it's just the occasional quote at the top of the page (and not on all pages), so we can easily ignore it & it hasn't affected the labs we're doing at all.
I'm still searching for something for Physics, too. I think I've found what we're going to do for Chem, since we're just going to do an intro to Chem (the same year we do Physics) & then have her take Chem at the local community college to get the lab time. I'm not certain on the program for Chem, though. I want to dig a little deeper & make sure it's what we want. I have a little while, though. Next year we're going to do Anatomy & Physiology. So, we won't be doing Physics & intro to Chem until the year after that.

mommykicksbutt
09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
that's cool. Sounds like you have it well planned.

Sonny is doing biology (Plato Biology for lectures) this year with lab here at home. I'm conducting the microscope labs, we have the microscope (goes up to 1000x with oil immersion), a boat load of prepared slides, slide making materials, etc. Plus I have petri dishes, agar, a bacteria kit, etc. Hubby (an MD) will be conducting the dissection labs later in the year. Sonny plans on taking the Biology CLEP at the end of the school year.

Next year will be chemistry with lab (I'll teach that lab too). For the lecture part we will be using Plato again. Sonny really likes Plato so we'll roll with that. I triple majored for my BS many moons ago (Botany, Zoology, and Chemistry) and my graduate degrees are in the sciences so I feel very comfortable teaching these labs but it would be helpful to save time on the planning to have a prepared lab manual. The following year will be physics. I tested out of physics in high school and never took it in college and hubby says it was too long ago for him to remember. Not sure how we are going to be doing physics yet because Plato doesn't have the subject. Maybe Thinkwell Physics. I guess I'll be going the labs as well.

Hubby could easily teach sonny A&P but sonny isn't interested in the subject. He says (right now) he'll want more physics but specific to weapons, explosives, and rocketry. He's such a guy.

Busygoddess
09-14-2010, 05:39 PM
It's cool that you've got everything you need for Chem labs. We've got everything for Bio labs, so we're doing those at home this year. We don't have everything we would need for a full chem lab, though. So, we figure if we have her do it at the community college we don't have to worry about trying to afford all the lab stuff. With also needing to get materials for Jay, I have to make sure not to spend our whole budget on Dea's stuff (which I could easily do). The Bio lab stuff is just easier & cheaper to get. We already had a microscope (got it on sale a few years ago knowing we'd need it), slide making materials, and I've been buying prepared slides over the last few years. Petri dishes, agar, dissection specimens, and all the small stuff (including antibiotic tablets so we can test what will kill diff bacteria) are easy to find.
We do some Chem experiments, but only the ones with normal household stuff. I'd love to be able to do a full Chem lab with the kids. You're so lucky to have that opportunity.