PDA

View Full Version : Hi from upstate NY - soon to be Detroit, MI burbs!

brandytab
09-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi everyone!

Been lurking around here and figured it was high time to post an intro :)

I'm Brandy, and currently the kids are in public school. We've been very lucky, or choosy, and put ourselves in one of the few truly excellent districts in the area. The respect, behavior, teaching, etc, is top notch... elementary school, that is. We hear frequently that it changes greatly when the kids move to the upper school. I find our district to be "immature" in a way, the children tend to be children and the parents are involved to the top degree.

All of that said, we are moving, and even if we weren't - junior high is around the corner for my 5th grader.

We're still on the fence, and I just found out that I'm pregnant with #4 (yikes!). Given the move and all (sometime over the winter), I thought that I'd give homeschool a trial run for the remainder of the school year and see how we all adapt to it. My husband and I are educated, lovers of learning, and feel like we can and have given the kids and environment where they thrive at home.

What is our biggest issue with our public school experience so far? Time. My 5th grader comes home with hours of homework after spending the day in class. Where is there time to learn what she might just love? When can she volunteer, take music lessons, dance lessons, play basketball, whatever (we live 20 minutes from the school and any activities)??? At this point I put them in nothing because they spend the time that they have outside using their imaginations and playing their little bodies off. I'd hate to take that away from them... Let me add: The kids get on the bus at 7:55am, they get off the bus at 4pm. It's a long day, if you ask me. We have four hours a day, they are in bed by 8.

My youngest is in 1st grade and clearly could be in second. Kindergarten was punctuated with, "Bella, we don't write cursive in Kindergarten... most of the children need to learn their ABC's." :rolleyes: She's got to be bored. We'd tried to get her into "Universal" Pre-K even, and they turned us away because she scored too high. They said they wanted to keep the spots open to children who needed help. Um, why tell us all to come and apply then? Why get her excited and waste our time? I was furious!

I worry about the commitment, I worry about having the energy, I worry about screwing up great kids LOL. There seems to be some great schools in the detroit metro area, but our school district here seems almost so mellow (it's very small - 90 kids per grade) that the kids would have serious culture shock!

4 of my siblings were homeschooled, so I'm aware of the process - kind of. We share a father and they grew up with him, and they are/were uber-Christian (Dad and stepmom divorced recently, Dad quit believing and that was the end of it...) so that's the only type of HSing that I've witness. You know, the whole "100,000 year old Earth" idea. Horror to this previous Geology student :p

OK, I started with an intro and ended up telling a partial life story! This is a big decision and thank you to all who read this. I look forward to learning a TON from you all, and possibly to meeting some folks in Michigan - it's brand spankin' new territory for us!

Brandy :)

Shoe
09-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Welcome to the site, and thanks for the detailed introduction. Be sure to check out the "Groups" page if you haven't already.

Cheers.

Topsy
09-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Wow...great intro, Brandy. Lurkers sometimes make the best posters when you can finally get them motivated!! ;) It's awesome to "meet" you and learn about your big decision. I know the whole process can sound daunting, and I would imagine even more so with #4 on the way, but take heart...it can not only be done, but be FUN in the process! I hope you learn lots from this site. Be sure to go through the articles, the resource page, and the forum archives to learn all you can. And please keep us up to date with your progress!

brandytab
09-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the welcomes :)

Today was bummer - I had to send the kids out the door just as we were learning about the Mockingbird, the Lyre bird, and how Panda Bears can do headstands. Can't wait until we don't have to do that anymore :cool:

Sarbare0704
09-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the group! I think it sounds like you are a homeschooler trapped in a public schoolers body LOL What I mean is you will be great at it if you are already worried about them finding what they are interested in and teaching them on your own time! Glad you came to join us!

brandytab
09-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Thank you - awesome point! I never really thought of it that way LOL.

Today the girls got off of the bus and they came running to the door yelling, "OK, NOW can we go back to the Panda Bears?!?!" Kinda like school got in the way :D

I know I cannot do it right this moment, but as soon as we make the move (crossing fingers before Xmas!) that will be that!

Already enrolled my 6 yo in Time 4 Learning (thanks to learning about it here!). She LOVES it!

pandahoneybee
09-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the great into! I must say that mine was lame by comparison! Oh and we love our T4L in my house! talk to you soon~