PDA

View Full Version : What will your Holiday Cards say?

CrazyMom
12-08-2014, 07:15 AM
1. Merry Christmas
2. Happy Hanukah
3. Happy Holidays
4. Who the hell sends cards anymore?
5. May the FSM touch you with his noodly appendage
6. Season's Greetings
7. Joyous Kwanza
8. Ho! Ho! Ho!
9. Blank with a pic of your family in ugly sweaters
10. My Holiday email links to a web page with pictures, video and a family chat room!

Fairielover
12-08-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm not sending out cards this year. But in the past I would say something like, "Happy Winter Holiday of Your Choice."

Mariam
12-08-2014, 12:10 PM
I am sending out cards for the first time in a while. I used to love writing and sending letters and am using this time to do that.

As usual our cards usually state some version of the following sentiment: Peace & Joy

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-08-2014, 12:25 PM
I'd dearly love to do #5, but in reality it's #4.

I stopped sending out Christmas cards after I realized that about 80% of the people I sent cards to weren't sending one to us. I might send cards just to family this year, if I can find the time.

Marmalade
12-08-2014, 01:41 PM
I just ordered picture cards last night...one says "Merry Christmas" and "Wishing you Happy Holidays" and the other says "Merry Christmas" and some sentiment my 10yo son picked out that I can't quite recall ...maybe: "Peace and Joy with you this Holiday Season"....

I only send to family and we all celebrate Christmas.

MNDad
12-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Ours says: "Oh, joy. Happy Holidays" with pictures of DW, and I DD, DS and Dear Dog on front and back. Honestly I'd prefer to skip the tradition and opt for an email version; but some traditions die hard.

Aroura
12-08-2014, 02:53 PM
This year we made cards with Shutterfly as Christmas presents for the family, so a combination of 3 and 9. Not so many ugly sweaters, we actually got some pics of us out in a snowstorm playing and used those, and then did some collages of family visits and recent Christmases.

The last few years I've been terrible about sending cards. But I still love getting them so decided to start sending them again.

amradiofairyland
12-08-2014, 03:45 PM
We send out New Year's Cards, which my daughter usually illustrates and writes for us.

halfpint
12-08-2014, 08:26 PM
We do the photo-card thing every year. Last year it said "Merry Everything & Happy Always", and this year it says "May your new year be Merry & Bright". Of course they will go out around the 19th, so the pagans will get it and everyone else will just think we're real overachievers ;)

I'm not actively avoiding saying Merry Solstice, I just like something a little more original/interesting/witty/snide.

CrazyMom
12-08-2014, 08:27 PM
I send Halloween cards. LOL. Last time I did Christmas cards I did a watercolor of huskies pulling Santa on a dog sled and had it printed:)

IEF
12-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Mine just say "Joy" and are appropriate for all holidays or no particular reason.

I haven't done paper cards in years, but I think that's a nice way to avoid arguments about clueless family members plastering ds's face all over Facebook.

Avalon
12-09-2014, 12:13 AM
I can't say that I really send a lot of cards. Maybe a handful, and they're mostly hand-delivered to friends. They almost always say "Merry Christmas." I don't give Christmas cards to people who don't celebrate Christmas. That would just be weird.

Tanaqui
12-09-2014, 01:42 AM
My cards will most definitely say "Who the hell sends cards anymore?"

Then inside I won't sign my name. They can darn well keep guessing!

ksb427
12-09-2014, 07:06 AM
This year I'm sending cards again - about 15 or so. My teen drew a beautiful picture of an Appalachian Trail shelter in the snow in his high school art class, so we're using that on the front and then I'm writing individual notes on the inside.

PoppinFresh
12-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Nothing. I stopped sending them years ago for a few reasons. I realized some of the people I was sending them to were family members who I was going to see and why bother sending them a card, and the other people I was sending them to were people who I hadn't seen in ages and will probably never see again and we weren't even catching up on the cards, no handwritten notes, just our names.

alexsmom
12-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I stopped sending too, but regret it. It was a nice way to tell people you dont see anymore that you know they exist, and you hope they are doing well. After a bunch of years not sending, it feels weird to suddenly send again.

Two years ago just before xmas, Baby had made a huge mess on himself with blackberries. I sent it to family members on email with the caption *Berry Christmas*. For me, thats festive. ;)

dbsam
12-12-2014, 03:20 PM
This may be the first year we don't send cards. Im a bit of a grinch this year.. The kids want to make a card with them and the pets. Maybe I'll let them handle it. They did most of the decorating this year and they did a great job.

I really enjoy getting photo cards - whether it is the kids, pets, entire family, etc.

Last year our card said "laughing all the way..." over a photo of the kids cracking up laughing. Then in small print at the bottom was "happy holidays from the x family".

Misha
12-13-2014, 12:30 AM
We haven't sent cards in a couple of years, but the last time we did, half read "Happy Christmas" and the other half read "Happy Chanukah" since a good majority of my friends are Jewish.

ScienceGeek
12-19-2014, 11:39 AM
We write a 3-4 page newsletter with LOTs of photos each year - mostly of our one big international trip that we do each year, though this year it was road trip through the southwest. We're a bit behind and still working on it. I hate the cards that are just signed and no pictures or information, what's the point! I don't see extended family much but when I do they always comment how much they enjoy getting the newsletter and hearing about what the kids are doing - there is always a homeschool update in the letter so everyone can see how wonderful homeschooling is... :)
Speaking of which I need to get off here and work on that letter!

ScienceGeek
12-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Forgot, for the kids teachers - swim coach, etc we made cards with pictures for the kids on them, or pictures they took and said Happy Solstice

firefly77
12-19-2014, 07:02 PM
I haven't done paper cards in years, but I think that's a nice way to avoid arguments about clueless family members plastering ds's face all over Facebook.

Seriously. We try really hard to keep our kids' faces off of Facebook. But the struggle is real. And I think after Jan. 1 advertisers can start using your Facebook images for their ads without you knowing. Scary stuff.

My mom is really sick this year and cards were just too much for us. But I do like sitting down and writing personalized notes to go along with the image. I also like the newsletter approach, although we haven't done that yet. I wish more people would write notes on their cards (maybe they do but just not to me, haha) to go along with the image. It's cozy!