PDA

View Full Version : Information on Homeschooling

tenuta92
12-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the idea of homeschooling. I have a 9 year old son (4th grader in Oklahoma), who is a little slow on learning, but not noticeable to his teacher. She doesn't assist him with his work, but insists he is doing fine. If he is doing fine then why did he have a "F" on last nine weeks report card and currently an "F" on his second nine weeks progress report.

He has some medical issues and the kids and teacher pick on him, thus the principal nor superintendent will address the issue.

So I'm looking into the option of homeschooling, but not sure where to start and how to get the curriculum at free to little cost.

Please any and all ideas and help will be greatly appreciated.

alexsmom
12-04-2014, 12:19 AM
Welcome!
Geesh sure sounds like your sons class and environment isnt helping him any!
A recurring theme of advice for new and unexpected homeschoolers is *dont rush to buy expensive all in box curriculums!* If your kid fit in a box, he could stay in school.
There are tons of free, or nearly free educational resources especially for elementary grades. Luckily for us parents, it doesnt take advanced degrees to teach our kids arithmetic, basic science, and how to read and write.
Look around on the forum reviews, read recent threads from other *emergency homeschoolers* in the past couple months, ask questions and opinions here.
You'll see homeschooling takes a surprisingly little amount of time, that there are all sorts of added perks for the whole family, and many people homeschool on the frugal. ;)

MNDad
12-04-2014, 06:20 AM
Two of the best predictors of success in school is the degree to which the child enjoys learning and when there's a good match between skills and challenges. It certainly sounds like your son could get caught up in a vicious cycle of school performance and low self-regard in this sort classroom environment.

Where to start? @alexsmom's avatar says it all: "Don't panic." No homeschooler has it all figured out. It's a learning experience for all of us. And it takes a while to fall into the "groove." Someone could write up a paper on the stages of development of homeschool parents.

But you have to start somewhere. There are a few books where we drew most of our inspiration:

The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (http://www.amazon.com/Well-Trained-Mind-Guide-Classical-Education/dp/0393067084/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417691440&sr=1-1&keywords=the+well+trained+mind)
One-to-one: A Practical Guide to Learning at Home Age 0-11 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0952270560/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School (http://www.amazon.com/Home-Learning-Year-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/0609805851/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417691367&sr=1-1&keywords=Year+by+year+designing+homeschool+curricu lum)

I used our state public schools curriculum guides online as another resource.

We don't spend a lot on materials. The only packaged curricula that we purchase are for mathematics (We use Singapore math.) The library is our biggest resource. We're ending up in the library 2-3 times/week now.

Welcome, and best of luck. You won't regret the decision to HS. Just this week, DD said: "I'm so glad I'm homeschooled because I can do all these great things."

Accidental Homeschooler
12-04-2014, 09:22 AM
That sounds horrible, so sorry your son is having to deal with that everyday. We tried school first too. It is possible to hs without spending tons of money. Khan academy has math and science and is free. We are using a free chemistry curriculum for science right now. I just bookmarked the civics games someone ( sorry, forget exactly who) just posted. There is so much stuff it is hard to sift through it actually lol. The library, as a pp pointed out, is an excellent place to start. You might want to check and see if your state provides any online options for hsers. Some do. We could do K12 here, though I am not interested myself it might be reassuring at the beginning to have something like that.

dbmamaz
12-04-2014, 12:48 PM
There is a free downloadable math program you can print at home - its brittish and takes some figuring out, but totally free: Centre for Innovation in Mathematics Teaching - Mathematics Enhancement Programme (http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/)

You can also use Khan Academy totally free - if you give your child and yourself different accounts, then you can see his grades as reports, and you could also brush up on your own math. it has video instruction and online problems to do, and you earn badges by doing the work.

For science and history, you can do a lot in the library. You can also find a lot of free science activities if you just search for them. You might be able to find your states standards of learning, and then just google for subjects they mention.

and english i'd focus on reading and getting him to write about what he's reading.

anyways, thats a start thats all free!

The k12 she mentioned is a virtual charter school - most states offer this for free, but you are technically still a public school student. The pace is the same, you still have to take the state tests, its a lot of busywork.

Easy peasy is free, ambelside on line is free . . .lots of options

CrazyGooseLady
12-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Oh your poor son! If there was not the being picked on, and you wanted him to stay in school, I would say that you might want to pursue an IEP through special education. But that will not really help the being picked on.

MobyMax is a free program that you can use. You will need to put in his reading level. Before you pull him from school, get the teacher to do a DIBLES test on him (10 minutes) and tell you the grade and month level so you have a good idea of where to place him. If you can't do that, find a curriculum that does a placement test and give that to your son. (I think Sonlight has one.) Everything else on MobyMax starts with a placement test that will put him at the correct level. It is pretty quick, painless....and allows you to feel like he is doing something while you take some time to figure out what you want to do.

Lots of curricula is available on Ebay and Amazon for less that full price. Be sure to get a look at it first if you can, to be sure that it is what you want. The best way to do that is to join a local homeschool group that has playdates. The kids can play, and you can ask the other parents what they use and like or don't like - and ask them to bring it and show you. You can find local groups through Yahoo and Facebook.

Meanwhile, go to the library and read. "The First Year of Homeschooling" is a great book to learn about different style and what they are like. All of the books are great....I love each and every style!

Accidental Homeschooler
12-05-2014, 11:29 AM
I forgot to mention Progressive Phonics, a personal favorite of mine, if your son is struggling with reading it might be something to check out.