PDA

View Full Version : birthday party food ideas needed

skrink
11-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Dd's party is next weekend. We're holding it at a facility about an hour from here, so all food will need to be easily transportable. I am also limited to one crockpot, so I can't have a ton of hot food choices. There will be about 10 kids and approximately as many adults (some parents are staying, some aren't, most haven't decided yet). I am also working with a ton of food allergies, some on our end, some not. I've waited until almost the last moment to deal with this and am starting to freak out a wee bit. Any ideas?

aspiecat
11-09-2014, 09:56 AM
If you have a number of allergies in your family, cater to those but not to guests'. Considering you have a fair distance to go, you will have enough on your plate (pardon the pun!) without worrying about getting the right foods for everyone attending. Most people with allergies/intolerances are understanding and take this into account when going to a party of some sort.

Make lots of finger food. Things that will be easily put into plastic containers and simply piled up on plates. Little pastries, vege and fruit platters, tasty dips, home-made cupcakes/cookies, that sort of thing. It's also a lot cleaner and means less mess than if there are hot meals on offer. When DS turned four, we were in a similar situation, so EVERYthing was finger food. It was also all organic and vegetarian - and the carnivorous kiddos had no idea that there was no meat in any of the food. They still made wee little piggies of themselves. So we were able to have what DS wanted (he was into reading labels of all food products by then and if there was meat in the ingredients list, he'd not want it LOL), and the other kids were non the wiser.

I'd say make everything as easy and convenient for YOU and your family first, and worry about guests later.

Aspie

KiddyKat
11-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Order pizza and make a large garden salad.

dbsam
11-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Is there a Mexican restaurant near the party location? Most Mexican restaurants will put togeter a catering package.
We had Mexican food delivered for the kids' parties twice. We are vegetarian and we had guests that were GF and others that were vegan. So we ordered salsa, pico de gallo, gaucomole, chips, rice, cheese quesadillas, vegetarian beans and cheese enchiladas. I just brought the cake and drinks.

We did this once when the kids were four and again last year. Although this last year we added things like vegetable burritos. When the kids were four it was at a church with a giant indoor play area. So we had the kids eat in the party area, clean up thier hands and go play.

Another year, we had their party at a jumpy place and just ordered pizzas as KiddyKat suggested. I brought a salad and a bean/veggie salad. (But most of the kids ignored the salads.)

skrink
11-09-2014, 05:33 PM
I'd love to order pizza, but neither dd nor I can do dairy, and I can't do gluten. I'm looking at the finger foods but am kind of stumped due to the allergies and to dd's ick factor. She won't eat most raw veggies and has texture issues with lots of things. :/ I will see what kind of Mexican and other order in options are available. It would be wonderful to not have to plan and prep. :)

CrazyMom
11-09-2014, 06:09 PM
This is awful, but I bought a couple of 20 piece boxes of Chicken McNuggets for a birthday party, once. Most popular kid's party food ever. Every single one got eaten. Not great nutrition-wise, but it was easy and they loved it. If you wanted to be healthier, you could make your own and bake them instead of frying?

When ever my kid had a birthday party, I did web searches for Halloween recipes. Weird Halloween themed foods the kids would find fun and memorable....kinda got everyone talking and laughing. Your mom is so weird, it's not Halloween!

Doing a build your own taco bar might work out well...since allergies could be handled on an individual basis.

When Elle was 12, she wanted a more mature party...

She was into anime and all things Japanese....so we gave her an Oriental themed party.

Red table clothes, gold placemats, we bought each girl a little Japanese bowl and chopsticks to keep. I found Chinese lanterns at the Dollar Store.

Elle and I made a whole bunch of homemade egg rolls and spring rolls and crab rangoons. And then we made a crock pot of Miso soup. (very easy things to make)

I picked up the rest at a cheap Chinese restaurant. Fried rice is very popular with that age group....I got chicken and vegetarian. I got some mushu chicken, sweet and sour pork, and broccoli beef (something for everyone)..... and a platter of sushi. Only a few kids were brave enough to eat the sushi, but the adults ate it up.

We made huge paper dragons.

Finished up with black bean ice cream and fortune cookies.....and Jasmine blooming tea. The girls LOVED watching the flowers bloom in the clear glass pot.

Was a blast, pretty specialized, and wasn't terribly expensive. Would be easy to transport, too.

CrazyMom
11-09-2014, 06:17 PM
I think Whole Foods carries gluten free egg roll wrappers for the egg rolls, spring rolls and rangoons.

KiddyKat
11-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Hmmm...what time is the party? Are you just looking for a few snacks or an actual meal? I am not really good with gluten-free stuff.

KiddyKat
11-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Bacon Wrapped Dates

Bacon Wrapped Dates These little bites are like... (http://illhavethesame.tumblr.com/post/46894565299/bacon-wrapped-dates-these-little-bites-are-like)

CrazyMom
11-11-2014, 06:58 PM
I love those, Kiddy. Yum:)

KiddyKat
11-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Maybe a baked potato bar?

deenamathew
02-24-2015, 04:57 AM
This is one of the best site for party ideas

Birthday Party Center - Kraft Recipes (http://www.kraftrecipes.com/yourkids/birthdayparties/birthday-best.aspx)