PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes

Fairielover
11-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Help. It's almost Thanksgiving. I'm always looking for new recipes that my family will enjoy. What is your favorite Thanksgiving recipe? Please include pictures if you can. Some of your recipes will be featured on the home page for the rest of the month.

Come on now, rescue those of us who need something new.

Fairielover
11-07-2014, 02:00 PM
My favorite thing is corn casserole. It makes too much for every day use. So I usually make it for every holiday.

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/ar/spacer.gif (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Awesome-and-Easy-Creamy-Corn-Casserole/Detail.aspx?nextItemId=13742&position=-1&prop24=RD_RecipeArrow_Left)
http://images.media-allrecipes.com/ar/spacer.gif (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Corn-Casserole/Detail.aspx?nextItemId=13742&position=1&prop24=RD_RecipeArrow_Right)

Original recipe makes 8 to 10 servings

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn

1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 (8.5 ounce) package corn bread mix

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a mixing bowl, stir together the sour cream, butter, creamed corn, corn niblets and corn muffin mix.
Pour into a 1 quart casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes.

I usually bake it longer than this. I don't have a picture of my own so I stole a picture online.

Aroura
11-07-2014, 02:15 PM
I am nuts for pumpkin! I know some people hate it, but I go out to a local farm every year and buy a few pumpkins for my holiday baking. I buy cinderellas to bake with, they are the best tasting IMHO. I bake between two and 4 pumpkins, puree them, then freeze most of the puree and bake with some of it right away (usually fresh pumpkin soup is something I make for Halloween).

My favorite Pumpkin Pie Recipe, made with fresh pumpkin puree and maple syprup! But can also be made with canned pumpkin and brown sugar. It makes a very dense custard, which my whole family prefers. It is also not too sweet, but heavy on the spices (again, something we prefer).

Ingredients
• 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree OR 1-15 ounce can pumpkin puree
•1/2 cup real maple syrup OR 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
•¼ teaspoon salt
•¾ teaspoon cinnamon
•½ teaspoon ground ginger
•¼ teaspoon nutmeg
•¼ teaspoon ground cloves
•2 eggs
•1 egg yolk
•½ cup evaporated milk
•½ cup heavy cream
•1 -9 inch unbaked pie crust (or make your own, I'm not a crust fan so I don't care much)
•Lightly Sweetened Whipped Cream:
•1 cup heavy cream
•2 tsp powdered sugar
•1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions
1.Set a rimmed baking sheet on the center rack in the oven.
2.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3.In a medium bowl, mix pumpkin, maple syrup or brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves until well combined.
4.Add eggs, evaporated milk, and heavy cream.
5.Mix everything until completely smooth.
6.Pour pie filling into an unbaked deep dish pie shell.
7.Bake the pie for 15 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
8.Bake for an additional 50-55 minutes until the center of the pie does not jiggle (loosely).
9.In my opinion, it’s best to allow the pie to cool on the counter and then chill it in the refrigerator before serving.
10.Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
**The pie can be made up to 2 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator covered.
Whipped Cream:
1.Beat heavy cream until soft peaks form.
2.Add powdered sugar and vanilla and continue to whip until medium peaks form.
3.Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.

Enjoy! (ask if interested in the some of my other pumpkin recipes, like crockpot pumpkin butter or velvety pumpkin soup).

jenblackwell2
11-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Every year I try to come up with something new to try out... Most people love the same Thanksgving meal every year, me not so much.

Last year my experiments were a home run, and I think at least one of them will make return appearance. Both were from Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/Veganomicon-The-Ultimate-Vegan-Cookbook/dp/156924264X)

I highly reommend this cookbook, I try to eat vegitarian/ vegan most of the year. Of course when things get cold around here I can't help add a little comfort food to my diet, since I'm making it for the family anyhow.

Cornmeal-Masala Roasted Brussels Sprouts

8 Tbs Peanut Oil
1-1.5 Lbs Brussels sprouts
2/3c cornmeal
3 Tbs chickpea flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of cayenne

Preheat oven to 400. Prep large baking pan w/ 2 Tbs of peanut oil and spread it around on the bottom of the pan. Trim and was sprouts, cut large sprouts in half. Pat dry, place sprouts in large bowl, sprinkle with salt and dust with 1 Tbs of chickpea flour, toss.

In a small bowl mix cornmeal, remaining chickpea flour, salt, garam masala, coriander, cumin and cayenne. Pour in 6 Tbs of oil and mix with fingers to form crumbs. Add to sprouts, toss to coat and press as much of the crumb mixture on to them as you can.

Pour coated sprouts and crumbs onto previously preped pan. Bake for 25-30, until sprouts are tender. Turn every 10 minutes or so.

Pile high on a plate to serve.

Can substitute okra for Brussels Sprouts.

alexsmom
11-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Dear Jen,
Does it need to be chickpea flour or can AP flour be substituted?
Thanks! I love brussel sprouts and the flavors seem like a good combination.

I want to try the other recipes too!

aspiecat
11-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Roast potatoes and pumpkin are ALWAYS great.

And this:

Homemade Broccoli Casserole Recipe (From Scratch) | Brown Eyed Baker (http://www.browneyedbaker.com/broccoli-casserole-from-scratch/)

Aspie

lmanthony
11-07-2014, 09:19 PM
My mom and I do a sort of "baking event" starting the beginning of November. This is when we try out new recipes and see if they are good enough to bring on thanksgiving..lol. About 3 years ago my mom and I made homemade cinnamon rolls, my whole family went nuts, they loved it so much that we are now required (lol) to make it. Also I have a Double Peanut butter cookie recipe that everyone seems to like. Btw, these cinn. rolls are the most unhealthy food ever..lol so worth it.

Cinnamon Rolls

1 cup water
1 egg
1/8 cup (2tblsp) of veggie oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tblsp salt
3ish cups of Bread Flour
2 tblsp of yeast (instant dry)

Additional Sugars:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar

Put in all ingredients as listed into bread machine.
Set machine for dough.
When dough is done, roll it into a 1/4inch (thickness) circle.
Use butter to cover entire circle, and mix together sugars that were set aside.
Sprinkle over circle until covered, add cinnamon to taste.
Roll up dough. Start at one end cut out about 16-18 "rolls"
set in a 13x9 pan and let rise for 20min covered w/towel
set oven to bake @ 350 and bake for 20min.

Cream cheese icing:
The Perfect Cinnamon Roll Icing Recipe - Allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Perfect-Cinnamon-Roll-Icing/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=the%20perfect%20cinnamon%20roll%20icing&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=%2fmy%2frecipebox%2fdefault.aspx&soid=sr_results_p1i1)

lmanthony
11-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Omg, Sorry about the rather large pic! lol tried to down size it, but it wouldn't let me...lol

dbmamaz
11-07-2014, 11:05 PM
I want to post my gluten/dairy free version of apple cranberry crisp, but I'm just too tired. and tomorrow is very hectic, but we'll see

jenblackwell2
11-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Dear Jen,
Does it need to be chickpea flour or can AP flour be substituted?
Thanks! I love brussel sprouts and the flavors seem like a good combination.

I want to try the other recipes too!

I'm not sure... I just take a handful of chickpeas and grind them in my coffee mill. I think all purpose flour would completely change the taste and texture...but that doesn't mean it would be bad.

neobunny
11-08-2014, 08:45 PM
I make this pie every year for Thanksgiving & Christmas.
Deep-Dish Caramel Apple Pie Recipe | Epicurious.com (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Deep-Dish-Caramel-Apple-Pie-100341)

Anyone who's ever tried it has loved it!

DS actually wants to eat apple pie this year so I'm making it GFCF. I've tried making it GFCF before and it came out good except the crust. The crust recipe I used wasn't very good. This time I'll be using this recipe for the crust; Best Gluten Free Pie Crust Recipe - Light, Flakey & Delicious (http://alittleinsanity.com/gluten-free-pie-crust-recipe/)

I use her bread recipe and it's very good, so I'll give her crust recipe a try. She also has a GFCF pumpkin pie recipe that I'll be using this year, too.

dbmamaz
11-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Teresa, are you using a pre-made flour mix or mixing the flours yourself? Because if you mix them yourself, sub out some of the flour with a little more starch - the texture is better. and be prepared to use wax paper for rolling it out - its never going to be as easy to handle as regular crust.

CrazyMom
11-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Fresh green beans sautéed with a little olive oil, minced garlic, bacon and balsamic vinegar.

Really nice with Thanksgiving dinner. You don't need a lot of bacon, a couple slices crumbled up (left over from breakfast?) Couple tablespoons of everything else to taste.

These beans are flavorful, less heavy than all the other delicious thanksgiving favorites...so they help with overindulging and keep some fiber in the game.

My family loves them. Traditionally, we use beans from our garden from the freezer, but we've used the fresh greenhouse ones at the store, too. Everyone loves them. So much that we call them "crack beans" cause they're so darned addictive.

neobunny
11-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Teresa, are you using a pre-made flour mix or mixing the flours yourself? Because if you mix them yourself, sub out some of the flour with a little more starch - the texture is better. and be prepared to use wax paper for rolling it out - its never going to be as easy to handle as regular crust.

I'm using a flour mix that I mix myself. It consists of white rice, brown rice, sweet rice, and tapioca flours, and xanthan gum. That last time I made a GFCF crust the recipe had me roll it out on parchment paper and put both the crust and paper into the pie tin. Do you think I should out a little more tapioca? Or maybe potato starch?

dbmamaz
11-10-2014, 12:22 PM
If you used and liked it, dont worry. I just find pastry is more tender with more starches and less flours

jenblackwell2
11-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Roast potatoes and pumpkin are ALWAYS great.

And this:

Homemade Broccoli Casserole Recipe (From Scratch) | Brown Eyed Baker (http://www.browneyedbaker.com/broccoli-casserole-from-scratch/)

Aspie

Aspie, I made this for dinner last night. It is going in the regular rotation. Thanks again for sharing!

Anna18
11-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Here are two of my favorite recipes for Thanksgiving:
1. Frosted Cranberries: Very simple to make and an extremely delicious dessert. In a medium bowl, stir together the water and egg white until blended but not whipped. Coat cranberries with this mixture. Spread the sugar out on a baking sheet, and roll the cranberries in it until they are coated. Dry at room temperature for two hours. Use as garnishes for desserts, or eat them plain.

2. Candied Yams: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes in a medium baking dish. Distribute butter pieces evenly over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Layer with miniature marshmallows. Bake in the preheated oven 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and marshmallows have melted.