PDA

View Full Version : Too many subforums?

farrarwilliams
09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like there are too many subforums on here? I guess I just find it a little frustrating because you have to click so many times just to see what new threads are actually being discussed and which have new responses. I often feel like there isn't a big difference between some of the sections - Secular Homeschooling, Homeschooling Styles and Homeschooling Issues all seem to me to be so closely related that it feels like they should be one group.

But it may just be me...

Also, Topsy (once she's back from her lovely vacay...), don't take this askance... I much appreciate this forum and the efforts people put into it! It was just a thought....

BPier12
09-10-2010, 09:42 PM
After you click on Forums, look under the Home button to the left. There is a link to "New Posts". Click on it and it takes you to all of the new posts since you last logged on.

hockeymom
09-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Discovering the "new links" button changed my life. Seriously! :)

Teri
09-11-2010, 08:30 AM
"New Posts" is a lifesaver.
But, yes, this board does seem to have a lot of forums and subforums.

camaro
09-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah, New Posts is awesome. I made it a button in my Bookmark Toolbar so I can hit it no matter where I am online. Regarding the number of subforums, it's actually a lot less than it used to be as the same question came up a while ago. After discussion it was pared down to what you see now. If you hit the Forum Archives link at the top you will see how many subforums we used to have.

Shoe
09-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah, New Posts is awesome. I made it a button in my Bookmark Toolbar so I can hit it no matter where I am online. Regarding the number of subforums, it's actually a lot less than it used to be as the same question came up a while ago. After discussion it was pared down to what you see now. If you hit the Forum Archives link at the top you will see how many subforums we used to have.

I use the New Posts almost exclusively-I generally read every new post that comes up, so that makes it really easy. I agree with David-there used to be a lot more subforums. I think the current number is much more manageable.

Teri
09-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Yes, the new number is much more manageable. I think my issue is more deciding which forum a new post goes into. :p
I am used to one "homeschooling" forum on a larger board and just am not used to having multiple forums that all seem to apply. LOL

farrarwilliams
09-11-2010, 06:11 PM
I tried that at one point, but isn't it by date of the OP, not by date of the last reply? Maybe not...

BPier12
09-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I tried that at one point, but isn't it by date of the OP, not by date of the last reply? Maybe not...

No, it is date of last reply. It will show the name of the original post, and the date of the original post, but in the next column over it will show the most recent update to the original posting. For example, right now if you got to New Posts, and go about halfway down the left hand column you'll see the original link and post for a discussion about K12 that was started on Aug. 22. Look to the right of there and you will see that the latest post to this discussion was yesterday. Hope that helps.

wild_destiny
09-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Some of the categories are a bit hard for me to distinguish between (but my brain does not work like most brains--it doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word logic, so I chalk my confusion up to that). Anyway, now I am banging my head on the computer desk. A new posts area?!! I had no idea. Thanks for illuminating this! Looks to be very helpful! :)

farrarwilliams
09-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Okay, now I see that... I think when I looked at it before, some things were updating slower which made it look like it wasn't the newest updates or something. I still find some of the categories to be a little bit similar, but I guess it's somewhat moot if you use the new posts button.

Sarbare0704
09-12-2010, 05:16 PM

QueenBee
10-30-2010, 12:58 PM
I did not know about the new posts thing... this seems like it will be a very, VERY good thing for me. I can't keep up with forums!!! =O