PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Ontario!

Amy Cooper
09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi! I'm Amy, mom of a 14 month old little girl, and stepmom to a 15 y/o girl.

It might be way early to think about it, but I really am considering homeschooling our 14 month old. We currently live in Windsor, but will be moving to Ottawa soon. What I've seen of the Ontario curriculum does not thrill me at all. I remember that my stepdaughter was NOT taught spelling, or given adequate instruction in French, etc. My husband and I are not the least bit religious (he's a self-described scientist, I'm more of a student of all things spiritual), so it was great to find this forum!

I'm especially interested in learning about what other Ontario/Canadian families do for secular homeschooling. I've only found very religious groups previously - something I didn't want to force down my daughter's throat. I want to make sure that she's actually learning things that will matter for high school and beyond - so, to actually learn how to spell properly, get the right answer in math (not almost right, or explain what you thought so it's ok even if you didn't get the answer quite right), etc. I guess I had an "old school" education and want her to have much the same.

I'm currently working full time, and my little girl is about to start going to an in-home daycare, but I'm hoping to avoid working once we move to Ottawa. My husband is in the Canadian Forces, and we may be moving every 3-4 years. My daughter was 11 weeks preemie, so I'm also concerned about her developing and learning "on schedule", but also making sure that whoever is educating her understands her (and who better than me, really?)

Most of the people around here think I'm crazy to even consider homeschooling - but I'm really more focused on making sure she gets a good education and learns what she needs in order to excel.

Can't wait to learn more from this group!!!

Amy

pandahoneybee
09-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the group Amy! Its never too early to start getting the info for when you want to start homeschooling! (well of course that is my opinion) We have alot of people in the group from Canada, that I am sure will be stopping by to say hello! See that you found the Canada group already but here is the resource page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources) with lots of good info on there to look at! Can't wait to get to know ya better!

hockeymom
09-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Welcome Amy!

We are expat Americans living on the Canadian East Coast. We love Ottawa--lucky you if you get to live there! :)

We found much the same in the NB curriculum as you did with your stepdaughter in Ontario. I'm not sure if it would be different if we in the states, though; hearing some of the horror stories here, I doubt it. We live in a very small community and don't have access to a secular group, other than online here. We do have one religious group in our closest bigger town, but from their proud, praise the lord website, I'm not interested in checking it out. Homeschooling doesn't seem to be as popular in Canada as it is in the US and we don't know anyone in our community who homeschools. We make do with sports and friends and that's enough for now. This site is awesome and totally sanity saving--I hope you like it too! :)

While religion has no part in our lives, I was surprised to find that prayer was mandatory in public school here. Thankfully I found that out after we'd already brought our son home, or I would have marched down to the school and given them an earful! LOL

Shoe
09-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Hi! I'm Amy, mom of a 14 month old little girl, and stepmom to a 15 y/o girl.

It might be way early to think about it, but I really am considering homeschooling our 14 month old. We currently live in Windsor, but will be moving to Ottawa soon. What I've seen of the Ontario curriculum does not thrill me at all. I remember that my stepdaughter was NOT taught spelling, or given adequate instruction in French, etc. My husband and I are not the least bit religious (he's a self-described scientist, I'm more of a student of all things spiritual), so it was great to find this forum!

I'm especially interested in learning about what other Ontario/Canadian families do for secular homeschooling. I've only found very religious groups previously - something I didn't want to force down my daughter's throat. I want to make sure that she's actually learning things that will matter for high school and beyond - so, to actually learn how to spell properly, get the right answer in math (not almost right, or explain what you thought so it's ok even if you didn't get the answer quite right), etc. I guess I had an "old school" education and want her to have much the same.

I'm currently working full time, and my little girl is about to start going to an in-home daycare, but I'm hoping to avoid working once we move to Ottawa. My husband is in the Canadian Forces, and we may be moving every 3-4 years. My daughter was 11 weeks preemie, so I'm also concerned about her developing and learning "on schedule", but also making sure that whoever is educating her understands her (and who better than me, really?)

Most of the people around here think I'm crazy to even consider homeschooling - but I'm really more focused on making sure she gets a good education and learns what she needs in order to excel.

Amy

Welcome to the site, Amy. I grew up in eastern Ontario (Kingston) and lived in northwestern Ontario for awhile before moving to New Hampshire. I'm sure you'll find this site a great source of information and support. Be sure to check out the "Groups" page and join the Canadian homeschoolers group.

InstinctiveMom
09-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Hi Amy, and welcome! I don't think it's ever too early to start gathering information :)
~h

camaro
09-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi, Amy! With so few of us Canadian secular homeschoolers (makes us triply rare!), it's great to meet another one. I think starting research as early as you are is great. By the time you start, you'll have plenty of resources to choose from.

MartyLayne
09-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm especially interested in learning about what other Ontario/Canadian families do for secular homeschooling.

Amy,

It's never too early to do research!

You might find it helpful to connect with the Ontario Federation of Teaching Parents http://www.ontariohomeschool.org/. I think you'll find it helpful. You might also find it helpful to read my book Learning At Home: A Mother's Guide To Homeschooling. I live in Victoria, BC and am the mother of 4 children who all learned at home and are now all adults pursuing their passions and careers.

All the best,
Marty Layne
http://martylayne.com/Learning-At-Home.php

Amy[/QUOTE]

WendyW
09-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi all. I'm from Ontario too. There seem to be an increasing number of homeschoolers in my area... however, there aren't too many that are secular, so it's great to have a forum like this!

Wendy

Shoe
09-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi all. I'm from Ontario too. There seem to be an increasing number of homeschoolers in my area... however, there aren't too many that are secular, so it's great to have a forum like this!

Wendy

Welcome to the site, too, Wendy. I'm sure you'll find it a great source of information and support.

Cheers.