PDA

View Full Version : For Homeschoolers: Six Months' Free Membership to Standard Deviants Accelerate

aspiecat
10-08-2014, 06:30 PM
DS has started Biology through this and he might to Earth Science and English Composition as well. We'll see how it goes over the next few months.

Standard Deviants Accelerate Six Months Free Promo (http://www.sdaccelerate.com/standard-deviants-accelerate-six-months-free-promo/)

Aspie

crunchynerd
10-11-2014, 08:52 PM
How does he like it so far? And I have to wonder, what's in it for them to offer it free for 6 months?
I'm tempted to add it to our pantheon of free-or-significantly-reduced-online-curriculum services we now currently have, but hesitate only because the kids basically hate all of them, and to me, they all seem basically the same. Though if they are offering actual Biology and Composition, it has to be better than the stuff we already have, that is strictly math and language arts in multiple choice or fill-in quiz format.

Heck, why not. Is there any consequence to signing up and trying, and then basically quitting if they hate it?

aspiecat
10-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Well, tbh I think there are two parts to this offer: one, to raise awareness of their (SD's) curriculum among the homeschooling world; two, to get families in for the six months for free and once the first semester is over, families will (at least in theory) need to pay for six more months in order to finish the rest of the courses off.

So far, DS is finding Biology "okay" (most subjects are "okay"...hmm...most things in life are "okay"...then again, he's 15 LOL). I will get him to try the Earth Science soon.

If he hasn't finished these courses by the time the six months are up, I'll review how it's going and decide if it's worth paying to do the rest.

WWhomeschoolmom
10-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks! I signed up my son. Hoping he likes it. Six months is plenty of time to decide if this is something we will stick with. I passed this on to some local homeschoolers. :)

PoppinFresh
10-15-2014, 04:58 PM
That looked interesting so I signed up, received the email saying I'd get the logon information soon and that I should respond to that email to let them know what subjects we are interested in. I responded twice, but I haven't heard anything. How long did it take for you to hear from them?

PoppinFresh
10-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Nevermind, I got my info.

aspiecat
10-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah...it can take a wee while to get all the info. Glad to hear you got it in the end!

crunchynerd
10-17-2014, 09:56 PM
So far, til the videos quit working mysteriously today, it was okay. Some of the videos are quite funny (Harley the Kindly Komodo Dragon for instance!), but even at 10, my daughter felt a tad exasperated by the attempt at super-duper-crazy-cool content that reminds me, at least, of a more cynical-negative-humor-version of Beakman's World.

But free is free, and it's Earth Science, Chemistry, Biology, Algebra, and the topics are presented in fast-paced, somewhat funny ways, with the occasional unfunny (to us) banter and slapstick. Certainly can't beat it for the price!