PDA

View Full Version : favorite vegetable soup recipe

Mariam
09-28-2014, 05:10 PM
I am looking for a vegetable soup recipe that can be used to replace a dinner salad. I like minestrone, but I am hoping to find a few others so that we can have a variety of soups. Thanks!

dbmamaz
09-28-2014, 05:43 PM
This is similar to a minestrone, but more flexible and lighter Everyday Vegetable Soup Recipe Recipe | Martha Stewart (http://www.marthastewart.com/318100/big-batch-vegetable-soup)

This is apparently a variation on my fave potato leek soup Cooking away stress - Chicago Tribune (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-01-06/entertainment/1001040211_1_edward-espe-brown-alton-brown-relaxation)

I totally love this tho I simplify some by skipping the 'sauce' but adding some of the sauce's seasonings in to the soup PepperFool.com Soup Recipes...Squash and Sweet-Potato Soup with Chipotle Sauce (http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/soups/squash_chipotle_soup.html)

Sometimes I do a french onion

I recently made up an eggplant soup, but it relied heavily on a broth made from a smoked turkey carcass. I basically seasoned eggplant slices (and a half a hot pepper) wtih cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and blackened both sides and then diced. Then I diced a leek and some celery and sauteed for a bit, tossed in a diced very large tomato, cooked a bit, then added broth and the eggplant. Simmer together a bit, add some soft greens (spinach or arugula) and cook 3 more minutes. Check for seasoning.

alexsmom
09-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Does Split pea count?
I cook up 1/2 a thing of bacon, then add carrots, onions, celery. Then the peas and chicken stock and cook til ready then take the immersion blender to it.
I suppose if youre not a big bacon fan you can omit that part.
And the bags of split peas have a simple recipe on the back (prolly without bacon).

Fairielover
09-28-2014, 10:03 PM
I like to chop a potato, an onion, a few baby carrots, add a can of tomatoes and a bit of veggie bouillion. Great soup. Ready in 20 minutes.

Mariam
09-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks! These are some good suggestions. I like the Martha Stewart one. It's flexible.

dbmamaz
09-29-2014, 04:47 PM
The first time I made that soup it tasted almost exactly like a can of vegetable soup, but the next time I used fresh tomatoes and it tasted sweeter and lighter. Its fun!

Elly
09-29-2014, 06:59 PM
I like leek and potato soup (sweat onion, leek and potato in butter or oil for 15-20 mins), add milk or water and cook until potatoes are done, season (salt, pepper, whatever else you like) and blend.

Also if you like spicy, curried butternut squash soup. Cut squash and a red onion in half and paint cut halves with curry powder mixed with melted butter or olive oil. Put face down in a roasting pan and roast at about 425 degrees until the squash is cooked. Then scoop out edible bits and blend with some water or stock and season. Yummy.

Elly

aspiecat
09-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Curried Pumpkin Soup (http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/recipes/curried-pumpkin-soup/) is a fave with both DS and me, plus Ham & Pea (not vege but the hock is for flavour), and Leek & Potato.

Aspie

Mariam
10-01-2014, 12:27 PM
I have never tried to make leek and potato soup. I think I need to add that to my list. :)

Yesterday, I had some chicken broth that I made, we added vegetables from the fridge. We sautéed mushrooms, carrots, garlic and celery in olive oil and added the broth. Worked out well. I think we will feel more adventurous with other things.

Elly
10-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Soup is really so easy, I don't make it nearly as much as I could/should.

Mariam
10-01-2014, 04:16 PM
When the cold weather comes we live off of soups and stews. Though for some reason, we never made an easy vegetable soup. I use my slow-cooker extensively and we have cooking days were we make a lot of meals in one day and freeze them. It makes for easy meals. All I need is to cook some pasta or rice to put in the soup (if needed) and heat up some bread.

dbmamaz
10-01-2014, 04:19 PM
My husband does not like any sort of gravy including stews. Its frustrating. Not even thick soups. He's ok with chili and potato soup, but other than that, only broth-based soups. I sometime make chicken and dumplings and take his out before I put in the dumplings and add rice . . .

Anna18
11-26-2014, 06:42 AM
When it comes to vegetable soups, my favorite is the slow cooker corn and red pepper chowder. Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until transparent and soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onion to the slow cooker, along with the red bell pepper, potatoes, 1 cup corn, broth, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, until the potatoes are tender. Turn the slow cooker off and remove the lid. Allow the soup to cool slightly. Using an immersion blender or working in batches with a regular blender, puree the soup. Return it to the slow cooker and turn it back on. Stir in the remaining 3 cups corn and soy milk. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for another 20-30 minutes, until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with additional corn, diced bell pepper, and/or sliced scallions.

Mariam
11-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Anna - this sounds yummy. Thanks!

deenamathew
02-24-2015, 04:07 AM
Vegetable Soup

Ingredients

½ lb ground chuck (this is a cut of beef)
7 cups peeled, chopped fresh tomatoes or 2, 28-oz. cans no salt added diced tomatoes
4 cups water
1, 14.5-oz can no salt added cut green beans, drained and rinsed
1, 15-oz can no salt added peas, drained and rinsed
1, 15.25-oz can no salt added corn, drained and rinsed
2 medium carrots (3 oz each), peeled and chopped
3 medium potatoes (5 oz each), peeled and diced
1 medium onion (5 oz), diced
1/4 cup dry rice
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions

Place ground chuck in a 2-gallon stockpot and brown over medium heat. Remove meat and drain it well. Wipe drippings from pot.
Return meat to stockpot, then add tomatoes and water. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until tomatoes are soft and a juicy broth is created, about 20 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, cover, and continue cooking 60 additional minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- See more at: Favorite Vegetable Soup - Recipes for Healthy Living by the American Diabetes Association® (http://www.diabetes.org/mfa-recipes/recipes/favorite-vegetable-soup.html#sthash.aoveH9bL.dpuf)

ikslo
02-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Soup At My House

Note: This recipe will not work for every household

1. Compliment DH on his wonderful soup-making ability
2. Drop in fact that I/we haven't had vegetable soup in a while
3. Bat eyelashes and ask him what's for dinner
4. Go start a load of laundry to appear busy
5. Play Candy Crush until I run out of lives and can't get anyone to gift me more
6. Sit down to a yummy dinner of Vegetable Soup ala Hubby
7. Load the dishwasher, because it's the least I can do