PDA

View Full Version : Definition of SECULAR

Lperky
09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't think my Secular Homeschool Group knows what the word actually means. Someone is setting up a Creation Science seminar. Fine, we can set up what we want and other people don't have to go. Then, someone else talked about organizing a different science thing. I looked at the link and thought it seemed cool. Then I noticed that the scientist will throw in Christianity if you ask him to (not sure how you connect Jesus and magnets, but whatever). I mentioned to the group that if they were going to ask for the add-on, we were out. The woman setting it up said that she wasn't. Later that day, she mentioned opening it up to other local groups to try and get more people to commit to attending. Someone jumped in and suggested a mega-group of Christians and that we should add the Christian slant to the presentation. How obnoxiously rude is that??? It is a secular group!!!!!!! There are at least THREE well-organized Christian homeschool groups in our county. If they feel the need to join the secular group, why can't they respect that we don't all want the Lord in our classrooms? Last year, someone offered a series of multiplication classes that would all include Jesus. WHAT?

Anyone else having this issue?

hockeymom
09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't go near it, myself. Sounds like completely unappealing drama. I don't do drama anymore. LOL

laundrycrisis
09-09-2010, 07:00 PM
This must be insanely frustrating.

chelleah
09-09-2010, 07:28 PM
The board we are with has different groups and is open to all, so if you want christian texts etc, there is a group for that and if you want holistic or alternative, there is a group for that, secular, same, etc. Unfortunately the main office is in the big city and here the people I have met are very religious... Anyway, there is a potluck get together tomorrow in the church which they use for meetings, exams etc. I have no worries about going into a church as I understand that sometimes people get a hall for free or a small donation so it saves on costs. I respect people's places of worship, I get the whole picture, but I do find people there hold us at arms length. It is so clique, I try to be friendly and don't discuss anything at all about religion or anything 'controversial', just try to show that I am a nice person and that I care about people and am keen to make friends and that our kids can be friends etc etc, but to be honest, I am dreading playing nice when after a year, I am still wagging my tail and nobody wants to play ball. My child is so dispondent, in fact she has flu right now. She likes the teens that go there, but some can be super high on jesus and when she tries to talk about other stuff, they just wanna discuss the bible. I am starting to get itchy feet for the big city, maybe then we could join the holistic group. More my style. Problem is that we go where the work is and the work is currently here. #:0(

Lolov
09-09-2010, 07:38 PM
THis is why I am so dead set against being "inclusive." Because once you let the xtians into a secular group (in a xtian dominated area) they will take over. No. Not my group. Sorry. You think I'm "mean" and "intolerant" guess what. I don't care. Go away.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this... I sometimes get really mad about this stuff... other times I have a better perspective... but sometimes....

chelleah
09-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah, totally get what you are saying, somedays I is balanced, other days, I is not so balanced!

Rebecca in Texas
09-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I think, since Christian groups require a statement of faith, secular groups should have a form that has to be signed that says something like, "I understand that this is a secular group and all classes and group activities will be secular with no mention of religion. We do this to respect all member's religious beliefs."

mommykicksbutt
09-10-2010, 07:51 PM
there is a potluck get together tomorrow in the church which they use for meetings, exams etc. I have no worries about going into a church as I understand that sometimes people get a hall for free or a small donation so it saves on costs. (

I don't go anywhere near a church. Our so-called "inclusive" group will often change the venue from the community center (we get for free) to a church out in town. I wait until the last minute to tell them if I'll be attending because last year they would change the location a day or two beforehand. If the meeting changes location to the church then I'm a no show. A church just seems to encourage jesus speak (vomit inducer).

I won't even go to a polling place to vote if it is at a church. I'll find another place to vote. I do not believe in patronizing such an establishment. I boycott them at all costs now. My opinion is that they all should be taxed. They want to meddle in politics and knock down Jefferson's wall of separation then they should be required to pay the admission price -taxes! Their ignorant money sucking clergy should be mowing my lawn washing my car (that's about all they're educated for) and all churches should be bulldozed for something that could really help the community, like a library, park, museum, municipal center, etc.

why is it that christians are crying that they are being persecuted in American when they have about two dozen churches within a 6 block radius of them?
(yet not any Jewish temples, mosques, Buddhist temples, Hindu Temples, Freethought Hals, etc)

chelleah
09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm with you on that, I get so fed up that sometimes I think we should just get rid of religion and unite under one umbrella - human or even maybe Freethinkers. Unfortunately, I am sometimes an idealist, but hey, wouldn't this world be a better place if we lived and let live? Imagine.

InstinctiveMom
09-11-2010, 01:45 AM
I don't think my Secular Homeschool Group knows what the word actually means. Someone is setting up a Creation Science seminar. Fine, we can set up what we want and other people don't have to go. Then, someone else talked about organizing a different science thing. I looked at the link and thought it seemed cool. Then I noticed that the scientist will throw in Christianity if you ask him to (not sure how you connect Jesus and magnets, but whatever). I mentioned to the group that if they were going to ask for the add-on, we were out. The woman setting it up said that she wasn't. Later that day, she mentioned opening it up to other local groups to try and get more people to commit to attending. Someone jumped in and suggested a mega-group of Christians and that we should add the Christian slant to the presentation. How obnoxiously rude is that??? It is a secular group!!!!!!! There are at least THREE well-organized Christian homeschool groups in our county. If they feel the need to join the secular group, why can't they respect that we don't all want the Lord in our classrooms? Last year, someone offered a series of multiplication classes that would all include Jesus. WHAT?

Anyone else having this issue?

Oh, that would be so frustrating!
Are your group's leaders open to feedback? Maybe you could suggest a vote, or ask for a clarification of what their definition of 'secular' is.

My group is styled an 'inclusive and secular' group. We allow academic discussions of religion, and even respectful sharing of personal beliefs, but not evangelizing. It's a fine line, but not one we've had to toe just yet.
~h

Shewolf
09-11-2010, 04:50 AM
I would also suggest raising the issue. I am frequently annoyed and provoked by the way a lot of people se atheism simply as a lack of faith, as a great void that can be filled with anything without any problems or disrespect. If I were a Hindu, or a Muslim, it would be different, but I don't feel that my philosophy of life is regarded as such.

Berta
09-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Oh, that would be so frustrating!
Are your group's leaders open to feedback? Maybe you could suggest a vote, or ask for a clarification of what their definition of 'secular' is.

My group is styled an 'inclusive and secular' group. We allow academic discussions of religion, and even respectful sharing of personal beliefs, but not evangelizing. It's a fine line, but not one we've had to toe just yet.
~h

See, this is the type of group I am looking for and cannot find. When I belonged to the Christian Co-op they had a Creation vs Evolution class. When I asked why it was a vs. viewpoint, instead of a Creation AND Evolution class (equal time exlplaining both viewpoints) I was told (After the shock wore off and the eye rolling began) because Evolution is not fact, but Creation is.

I want my kids to learn about ALL religions. I am a Christian (not a denim skirt wearing-bun headed one lol) and I am teaching my kids about evolution. I am also teaching them about Creation, and Hinduism, and Buddhism. Not from a stand point that any one of them is right/true or better than the other, but from the standpoint that these are faiths that people hold dearly to their heart, the same way I have my own dearly held beliefs. I joined a secular group hoping to find such a thing.

My definition of Secular means keeping religion and education separate. Am I a secular homeschooler, no. I do use some religious curriuculum with my kids but not because its religious. I use it because I like the program, not because it mentions God. I would like to have the option of being around people with open minds and open hearts and sadly I have not found that on any of the Christian boards. If asked if I am a religious homeschooler, I say no. I do not homeschool for religious reasons. I really dont fit anywhere lol.

chelleah
09-11-2010, 07:42 PM
I really dont fit anywhere lol.

Except here. Which is why I suggested we all move to an island. So sad that people feel the need to impose their beliefs, thoughts and perception onto others in such inappropriate places and not even allow the person they are force-feeding to have a word in edgeways. They make me feel so anti-religion, and I have never been like that and don't want to be like that. I like people for who they are, plain and simple, they don't need to fit a particular box, they just need to be themselves. I really would like to understand what drives these type of people to be like that, is it insecurity, fear? I feel if I could understand the why, I might be a lot more compassionate towards them. Right now, I just want to avoid them as much as possible but there seems to be many here (where I live) that share the same outlook in life. I sometimes feel like my daughter and I are really cute, friendly dogs, wagging out tails, but noone wants to play ball.

hockeymom
09-13-2010, 11:40 AM
I sometimes feel like my daughter and I are really cute, friendly dogs, wagging out tails, but noone wants to play ball.

LOL chelleah. But I know what you mean. Since we moved here, I've felt like a goofy Adam Sandler character--you know, interested and kind but totally left out of the loop.

wild_destiny
09-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Aww, I think ALL you gals are great, whether you are respectful, open-minded Christians or cute, friendly puppy dogs, or goofy Adam Sandler types. :)

InstinctiveMom
09-13-2010, 02:21 PM
See, this is the type of group I am looking for and cannot find.

Yeah... we had to make one ;)
I started out with the premise that I was going to do XYZ with MY children regardless of what you all were doing. I made a Yahoo Group and later a website (free wordpress blog with my own domain name) and called it a 'group'. Now, it IS a group. Don't let that lack of group affect you. Go and do and pretend that no one else from your group could make it that day. It's true, considering that you just haven't found the other members of your group yet!
~h

Theresa Holland Ryder
09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I feel your pain. I belong to a small group that wants to be non-religious and inclusive and recently a whole bunch of really religious people have joined it. I don't want to be intolerant, but it's taken all my willpower to stay with them and wait and see how it goes. I have a really hard time believing that someone who's using Bob Jones curriculum and signs all her emails with some kind of Praise Jesus! thing is going to be happy and friendly when she figures out that at my house, we're heathens. I can feel the drama blowing in, and I just don't have the energy for it.

hockeymom
09-15-2010, 01:50 PM
I started out with the premise that I was going to do XYZ with MY children regardless of what you all were doing. I made a Yahoo Group and later a website (free wordpress blog with my own domain name) and called it a 'group'. Now, it IS a group. Don't let that lack of group affect you. Go and do and pretend that no one else from your group could make it that day. It's true, considering that you just haven't found the other members of your group yet!
~h

That's awesome advice Heather! I love your moxie! :)

Kylie
09-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I would also suggest raising the issue. I am frequently annoyed and provoked by the way a lot of people se atheism simply as a lack of faith, as a great void that can be filled with anything without any problems or disrespect. If I were a Hindu, or a Muslim, it would be different, but I don't feel that my philosophy of life is regarded as such.
Oh that is how I also feel, even with my closer more open minded Christian friends. Just the other day Iwas talking about 'signs' and not ignoring those signs and was told, "well, I don't believe in signs"....which is fiar enough but when I suggested that my signs are a feeling of been spoken , just like when god speaks to xtians, well let's just say I got a look of complete shock and utter disrespect! WTF.....how do can they not see how intolerant they are of others?????

Kylie
09-17-2010, 08:52 PM
~h

Here here, that's what I did with my group....fake till you make it...they will come!!!

kgm3
09-17-2010, 10:03 PM
if you go read my blog "hiding out" you will get an idea of what we have been dealing with. i finally made a secular yahoo group but didn't mention it to the "christians"-and i use that term VERY loosely-on the board because i was still afraid of being lynched. well on the forum today it really hit the fan! and i finally got the balls to say how i really feel-i told them that i wanted to be in a group that promoted kindness and tolerance and that's how i want my children to be raised. they said "you will probably be happier in a secular group" lol! i said yup you're right! please delete me off the board and have a nice life! OMG IT FELT SO GOOD!!!! i feel free!!! YIPPEEEE!! we are on our own now but that's a hell of a lot better than throwing up in my mouth every time there is a park day! oh yeah-i vote for moving to that island!

InstinctiveMom
09-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Woo Hoo!!! Congratulations :) Now go celebrate!
~h

hockeymom
09-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Good for you! So glad it's working out! :)

Kylie
09-18-2010, 06:33 PM
I am dumbfounded that that is what they said!!!!! So basically admitting (but obviously not to themselves) that seculars are just generally nice tolerable folk and they aren't......I'm not sure why I am still always so shocked to hear these types of comments.

Best of luck moving forward. :)

kgm3
09-18-2010, 09:49 PM
the audacity of these women was unbelievable to me too. i'm so glad i got out of there before they started trying to infiltrate my babies' minds. i don't understand how people can claim to be doing the work of Jesus and be so cruel to people that are different all in the same breath! it's totally beyond me!

Kylie
09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Ditto.....where is your blog please?

InstinctiveMom
09-19-2010, 06:39 PM
It's here: http://www.secularhomeschool.com/entries/336-Hiding-out
I don't know if she has an off-site one...
~h

Kylie
09-22-2010, 03:30 AM
oh thanks :-)

Lperky
09-26-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm not sure if I should be happy we're not alone or depressed that so many have to deal with this garbage. I don't force beliefs on others, and I'm educating my kids about major world religions (past and present). This science class thing is only one in a long string of events that drive me nuts. Last year, when non-Christians tried to vote on the decorations we'd make for the town tree, we were told that they didn't think we would have an opinion, since Christmas is for Christians only. One mom posted the wikipedia entry for Christmas, which states that it has pagan routes and is now celebrated as a secular holiday by many Americans. DRAMA!

I generally chronicle the whole thing on my blog, but it's nice to have feedback from other families in the same boat!

mommykicksbutt
09-26-2010, 07:52 AM
ah, the "christmas" thing. My hubby used to make an argument about it with me (he would ALWAYS try to incite a fight but I wouldn't bite). He would needle me about why I was so willing to celebrate a strictly "christian" holiday. Why would I be part of selecting and decorating a "christmas" tree. Why I would participate in gift exchanges. Blah, blah, blah, etc... He didn't have a clue as to the whole history of the holiday (or for easter's history either). The one time I did try to explain it to him he did the typical christian thing and metaphorically stuck his fingers in his ears, shut his eyes and yelled "lalala I can't hear you." So I just default to "because I like it." He is still baffled but has finally shut up and we are happier now. My children on the other hand see the truth and history in the whole ordeal and how christian stole the holiday from the pagans.