PDA

View Full Version : Product Review-Bang! The Universe Verse: Book 1

Shoe
09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I just wrote up a few reviews for my blog, so I thought I'd share them here, too.

Bang! The Universe Verse: Book 1 (http://jldunbar.com/JLDunbar.com/View_BANG!.html), James Lu Dunbar, 2009, CreateSpace, ISBN-10: 1449587666, ISBN-13: 978-1449587666, 44 pages

Medium: Paperback book

Age/Grade: Any

Secular/Religious: Secular-little to no mention of religion; may offend some Christian beliefs

Rating: *****

* I hate it
** I donít like it
*** Itís about average
**** I like it
***** I love it

What do you get when you mix Stephen Hawking, Stan Lee and Shel Silverstein? The answer is James Lu Dunbar and his wonderful account of the Big Bang origin of the universe in comic book form.

After having my interest piqued on an internet forum, I bought this book as a supplement to my children's home education program. I'm always on the lookout for materials that are fun, easy to understand and yet have some real educational value, to complement the more traditional curriculum that I use. "Bang! The Universe Verse Book 1" certainly meets those criteria.

It is written in rhyming poetry in language that my middle school aged children can easily understand and it presents the Big Bang theory quite clearly. Discussing the early and rapid expansion of the universe, concepts of energy force and matter, atomic structure, the formation of the elements, and the structure of the universe, this little book presents these topics in a straightforward manner that anyone can understand, but it doesn't "dumb it down" so much that it becomes useless either.

The drawings are fun and complement the text well, and the whole book has a lighthearted feel to it that should help learners old and young re-discover the joy of science.

I plan to use this for my homeschooling, but I think it would be enjoyable for anyone of school age or older (including adults) who have an interest in science and astronomy. I'm looking forward to books two and three...

StartingOver
09-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok Shoe, you sold me. I have to get it now.

Hi, My name is Jana, and I am a curriculum addict !

Shoe
09-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Ok Shoe, you sold me. I have to get it now.

Hi, My name is Jana, and I am a curriculum addict !

You can check it out in its entirety on the author's website (jldunbar.com) and you can actually download a pdf version for free. I prefer to have a real book in my hands, and to support authors like Mr. Dunbar (so he'll finish parts 2 and 3), so I bought a real copy as well.

StartingOver
09-08-2010, 11:12 PM
I am the same. I am a total book junkie. I just wish I didn't clear out my shelves the first time around. Oh the stuff I have gotten rid of. LOL

dbmamaz
09-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Well, I just asked for the pdf - i'm awfully cheap. i do most books from the library if i can help it, unless i need it for more than 2 months.

Shoe
09-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Well, I just asked for the pdf - i'm awfully cheap. i do most books from the library if i can help it, unless i need it for more than 2 months.

I've been really bad about not using the library since I moved here to NH. Before we moved, we went to the library a few times a week. Since we moved, I don't even have a library card. Maybe that's one of the things I'll do today.

Topsy
09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Wow...thanks for the review, Shoe. I think I'll bump this one to an article, because I know lots of folks appreciate any kind of curriculum reviews - - especially when they are secular!!

Topsy
09-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Just got this link via email from Jamie today with news about book #2!!! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1530028046/its-alive-the-universe-verse-book-2-0

dbmamaz
09-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Ok, after watching the video, i feel guilty about asking for a free pdf! I just hate buying books, tho . . . sigh.

Shoe
09-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Just got this link via email from Jamie today with news about book #2!!! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1530028046/its-alive-the-universe-verse-book-2-0

Yeah, I mentioned that a little while ago here, but didn't want to appear to spam the board, so didn't mention it again. I'm a supporter-can't wait for book 2.

Lolov
09-09-2010, 07:45 PM
THANK YOU!!!! This is awesome! I already ordered it from Amazon!

Shoe
09-09-2010, 08:41 PM
THANK YOU!!!! This is awesome! I already ordered it from Amazon!You're welcome. That's pretty much how I feel about it.

dbmamaz
09-09-2010, 09:47 PM
The problem is, when i think its awesome, half the time my guys wont read/listen, and even if they do, they wont retain. after a full year, i am starting to think I really need to read more to my teen to get him to talk about stuff as he's reading it . . which leaves my 6 yo where?

Shoe
09-09-2010, 09:50 PM
The problem is, when i think its awesome, half the time my guys wont read/listen, and even if they do, they wont retain. after a full year, i am starting to think I really need to read more to my teen to get him to talk about stuff as he's reading it . . which leaves my 6 yo where?

My kids don't always retain it either...but it's a lot easier to get them to re-read it if they enjoyed it the first time. And if they don't want to read it in the first place, well, my home is not a democracy. I'm in charge (at least, I have delusions of grandeur :D).

Topsy
10-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Just wanted to update and say that Jamie has a new blog where he is posting about the process of creating book 2 of the Universe Verse: Hybrid Vigor (http://jldunbar.wordpress.com/what-it-means-to-me/)

mommykicksbutt
10-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Okay, now I've got to get the book(s)

elkhollow
10-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks, Shoe! That looks fantastic!

dbmamaz
10-14-2010, 12:40 PM
I think i liked ti more than the boys did . . .