PDA

View Full Version : Act/sat

aspiecat
09-10-2014, 02:24 PM
How many teens are doing the ACT or SAT in preparation for college? Or planning to do so at some point?

Aspie

Accidental Homeschooler
09-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Dd16 will take the SAT this year (first time) and the PSAT.

dbmamaz
09-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Orion took the PSAT but in the end I chose not to take the SAT. I knew he was going to community college, which does not require it. It is pretty much required if you plan to apply to regular colleges or universities, I believe?

aspiecat
09-10-2014, 06:23 PM
From what I understand, yes, it is, Cara. DS plans to start an AA in Psych next year at a community college that has a full-transfer agreement with a nearby university so he can easily do a BA. Although all he has to do is do well in the AA to get a full transfer, DH thinks having a decent ACT score will be a good backup. After all, if DS changes his mind about his tertiary education pathway, having an ACT score will be a good thing, just in case.

BarbaraH
09-10-2014, 06:28 PM
I agree it is smart to go ahead and get that testing in during high school. Some colleges use ACT or SAT scores for placement for some courses. They are also sometimes require for transfer admissions or transfer scholarships. If the community college has a chapter of Phi Theta Kappa (http://www.ptk.org/) and he qualifies I would also encourage him to join that it can be helpful with transfer scholarships.

ScienceGeek
09-10-2014, 06:35 PM
I plan on having my boys do the SAT subject test since I know they test well and some schools ask for a couple of those if you homeschool - just so you have an outside grade of some kind I think. We'l do both ACT and SAT, some school prefer one over the other.

inmom
09-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Mine did the SAT in 9th and 8th grade to get into the local university as dual credit students.

DD took PSAT in 10th and 11th, SAT twice in 11th and ACT once. She also took SAT Lit test a couple of years ago.

DS will take PSAT next month, and SAT in the spring. If he's happy with the score, he's done. He also took the SAT Math 1 test a couple of years ago.

BarbaraH
09-10-2014, 11:10 PM
One bit of good news is that all schools equally accept the ACT and SAT now. There used to be regional preferences but those have disappeared now. So, your student can just take the test that it is a better fit for them.