PDA

View Full Version : Hello/Hola from the mitten state!

taichimom
09-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Hello,

We've been homeschooling/unschooling our 8 and 10 year old girls for a year now. It's something that I had always wanted to do, but my chronic health problems prevented me from trying it sooner. We're enjoying spending more time as a family, with our many pets (cats, dog, bunny) and outside. And not feeling rushed, while having more time for scouting, swimming, projects and independent reading.

My oldest actually requested a curriculum for this year, and I had started looking at project based curricula, but am also just really hoping to get a good deal on something on e-bay. And yeah, I'm stressing about the money, and committing to something we may not end up using that much. Help! I've very grateful to all the great information on these forums so far, thank you!

When I am not busy being a mom, coach, and scout leader, I am a doula, herbalist, and acupuncturist. Born and raised in NYC, summered in Guatemala, home birthed in Portland, OR, and now home schooling just below the thumb in Michigan.

Diana Gonzalez, MSOM

Sarbare0704
09-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the group! Great to have you here! I had my HBAC almost a year ago now (wow that was too fast!) I love to meet other homebirthers :)

StartingOver
09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the site, I am glad you found us. I hope you enjoy you time here as much as I have.

I always wanted to homebirth, but hereditary heart conditions in our family prevented it.

LJean
09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Hello and welcome to the group! :)

schwartzkari
09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi there, I grew up in Michigan :)

I also wanted to try a homebirth with my second child but my hubby went pale when I asked him, lol, so we settled on a midwife at our local hospital. Compromise!

Welcome to the group!

Shoe
09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the site. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers.

chelleah
09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I thought it would be lovely to homebirth but in Africa, you don't take risks like that. So glad I did have my child in a hospital because it was an incredibly difficult birth and she needed to be incubated a few hours after birth. We will be doing Spanish next term, so very excited - my husband speaks Spanish and I just sit there blank faced, so would like to be part of the conversation, or at least know if they are talking about me! Look forward to chatting. #:0)

taichimom
09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Thank you all for the welcome and the great information throughout the site! And just as a side note, I believe in homebirth as a choice, whenever possible, but believe families and mothers should be fully supported in their choice -- hospital, birth center, and homebirth.

@chelleah, my husband doesn't speak Spanish. And I've tried several times to incorporate it into our daily lives, but it's only worked sporadically, when we've had a community of Spanish speakers near us. I'll keep trying. I look forward to hearing about your journey too, and hope to learn much!

I'm still stressing about finding a curriculum, but not quite as much, thank you all again!

Topsy
09-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Great to meet you, Diana! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. I hope you will explore all the curriculum-related posts on the forum to see if you get some insights. And be sure to join your state group or other groups that interest you on the Groups page. Welcome to the site!!

InstinctiveMom
09-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Hi Diana!
How great to meet another doula! Well, sorta... since we started homeschooling, I don't take clients anymore. Maybe when they're older :) Welcome to the site!
~h

pandahoneybee
09-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Welcome to the site;) Just wanted to put my two cents in here, before you buy anything ask us first, you might save some $$$;) I think that this group has saved me alot of money by telling me what worked for them and want didn't. Everyone up here is great to talk with and very welcoming in my opinion;)

Can't wait to know ya better ;)

BPier12
09-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Welcome, Diana! We recently moved to Florida from Michigan. We were on the west coast of the state about 20 miles north of Muskegon. I've found this forum to be a great source of support and information and hope you find that for yourself here as well! Good luck with curriculum search. We just started homeschooling so I know how challenging it is to sort through the mountains of information out there about all of the available choices. Don't hesitate to ask questions here. People are ready and willing to help! :)

hockeymom
09-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Welcome! We are former (but never reformed!) Buckeyes, so kind of from your neck of the woods. This is a tough time of year for my husband, who misses his OSU football! :(

I agree with everyone's advice about not spending much money as you get started on your adventure. There are tons of free curriculum available online, and the library is a great resource. I hope you like it here and I hope you have fun in your new adventure!