PDA

View Full Version : Disney making "A Wrinkle in Time" movie

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
08-05-2014, 03:49 PM
"Frozen" Director Jennifer Lee to Adapt "A Wrinkle in Time" for Disney (http://variety.com/2014/film/news/frozen-director-jennifer-lee-to-adapt-a-wrinkle-in-time-for-disney-exclusive-1201275488/)

What do you think? Vote and discuss.

amradiofairyland
08-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Didn't Disney already make a horrible adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time?

I've never been super happy about what movie makers have done to some of my favorite books (e.g. the train wrecks that were the films based on The Golden Compass and The Dark Is Rising, to name only two).

We did see a really wonderful stage adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival this summer, though.

CrazyCatWoman
08-05-2014, 11:21 PM
According to Wiki, it was not made by Disney, but rather a Canadian group, which was then "Americanized" by Disney....

I hope that there is not singing in it if they do it. I can't stand the Frozen song....kids singing it mostly badly where ever I go.

Teri
08-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Hopefully they will do a better job than the previous version. That's exciting!

We are very anxiously awaiting The Giver at our house. I love to see movie adaptations of books we read, even though the book is always better. ;)

halfpint
08-06-2014, 01:00 AM
The last version wasn't great. Since new movies almost always suck worse than old ones, I forsee total disaster.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
08-06-2014, 08:09 AM
I hope that there is not singing in it if they do it. I can't stand the Frozen song....kids singing it mostly badly where ever I go.

Dear lord, I can't imagine a musical version... can you imagine a cutesy song about tesseracts? And a dancing, animated Aunt Beast (think the penguins in Mary Poppins)???

Riceball_Mommy
08-06-2014, 08:42 AM
I haven't read the book, but I'm a Disney fan, so I'm looking forward to it. Of course my opinion shouldn't mean much because I even like the really bad (critically/box office bad) Disney movies.
Of course now I'll probably read the book, though I agree movies are never as good as the book but I just hope to enjoy them seperately. I have seen good movies for books I've hated though.

crunchynerd
08-07-2014, 08:07 AM
I'm a Disney hater for the most part, so I wait cynically to see how much vapidity and sexual objectification they can manage to bestow on Meg, but I know they already have plenty of material from the book to draw on, for doing their usual shtick of cheaply jerking the audience around by the emotions with innocents-in-mortal-peril, evil-witch-mother themes, etc. GROAN. Plenty of violence, too, and probably a lot of parents would take little kids who are far beneath the reading level (and required maturity) for the book, to see it because it's Disney.

I recently re-read A Wrinkle In Time (the last time was my first time, in 4th grade) and my take on it has shifted now that I'm older and a parent. I still like it, but wouldn't read it aloud to kids too young to read it for themselves. Also, I find that in places, much like Lucy Maude Montgomery (author of the Anne of Green Gables series), I find myself skimming wearily through excessively circuitous and lengthy passages describing imagery in a tiresome barrage of superlatives. Sigh.

Like a satin gown from which not a square inch was spared from shirring, lace, and pearl embellishments, sometimes the adornment overtakes the flow of the original form, and disrupts the pleasure of the viewing.

Then again, who am I to cast stones at anyone else for being excessively circuitous and laying on the imagery with a heavy hand? ;)

farrarwilliams
08-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Reserving judgement... But I have a bad feeling...

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
08-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I recently re-read A Wrinkle In Time (the last time was my first time, in 4th grade) and my take on it has shifted now that I'm older and a parent. I still like it, but wouldn't read it aloud to kids too young to read it for themselves.

I'm always surprised when I see it recommended for elementary aged kids, even as a read aloud. It's so abstract and strange that I can see a lot of it going over their heads. I'm not going to recommend it (or Anne) to my kids for at least a couple of years.

I'm firmly in the "bad feeling" camp. The last Disney movie I really liked was Beauty and the Beast.

sdvelochick
08-07-2014, 05:12 PM
I am hopeful..... It honesty, cannot be worse than the other one that was made. Hopefully it will be successful and they'll make them all.

BakedAk
08-08-2014, 12:49 PM
I chose the "I'm no fun" option mostly because 1. though I didn't mind Frozen, my Girl is learning to play "Let it Go" on the harp (and sings it - in German - constantly..."Ich lass los - lass jetzt los...") and 2. my Boy "has a bad feeling" about everything. "We're having jambalaya for dinner." "I have a bad feeling about this." "Let's go to the fair - you said you wanted to go on the ferris wheel this year!" "I have a bad feeling about this." "You need a bath." "I have..." you get the idea.

I've always loved A Wrinkle in Time, and the next 2 books about the Wallace family. I think I was in 5th or 6th grade the first time I read them. Will this new movie be animated or live-action? Live action with amazing special effects could be cool, if there is NO SINGING. I don't think it could ever be like the book, but it could be enjoyable as a separate work.

laurelsstitchery
11-16-2014, 04:38 PM
I read the book in third grade and LOVED it, so I'm hoping the movie will be good. I will most likely be disappointed though. :)

IEF
11-16-2014, 06:44 PM
That makes me so sad. The Wrinkle in Time books were a very important part of my now-adult kids' childhoods that my little isn't going to understand now. :(

They are still very much worth rereading in adulthood, especially Swiftly Turning Planet, where you find out that you don't really know everything you needed to know about Calvin's hideous old bat of a mother.

Even if Dennys is right about her heart, remember that it was herself she placed between us and the powers of darkness.

alexdk
11-22-2014, 08:10 AM
I will be curious about it...Movies are very rarely as good as the books.

alexsmom
11-22-2014, 11:46 AM
I will be curious about it...Movies are very rarely as good as the books.

I think The Hobbit movies are better than the book - the story now has the epic appeal of doing the right thing even though the task look insurmountable - instead of being a simple treasure hunt.. Lord of the Rings, too, benefitted from the more modern zeitgeist.
So with the right passion behind the movie, it gets the chance to be *so much more*.

I could also list several Jane Austen adaptions where they changed parts of the book to make it *better*.

Riceball_Mommy
11-22-2014, 12:14 PM
I think it's a taste thing overall when it comes to book and movies.
Really though what works for a book might not work in movie format so things have to change.
I like both the Hobbit book and the movies. There are parts of the book that I like better than the movies and parts of the movies I really like too. I understand some of the changes that were made though for pacing, and visuals.

alexsmom
11-22-2014, 01:02 PM
True, but with The Hobbit, Peter Jackson put in all the meat and substance. I loved the book as a kid. We saw the first of the movies in the thearer, and I didnt remember any of the stuff about reclaiming a lost homeland, avenging deaths of ancestors, etc. I re-read the book, and it flat out wasnt there - all tht is in Tolkiens version is a bunch of silly dwarves, a hobbit, and a wizard on a treasure hunt. IMO its a far better story now that its been twisted into a story about doing the right thing even when super strong powers of the world (the elves) are indifferent to the plight.

Anyways, I think sometimes movies, as a retelling of an earlier story, can capture elements that make it more relevant and interesting to a modern audience.

Ive been trying this week to read Little Women, and im about to give up. I dont know if its because the girls are too saccharine sweet for my taste, or the authors patronizing voice that annoys me, but i find it really hard to get interested or caring about what happens next. Maybe a movie version is what I need.

Disney is notorious for messing up good stories, but I think theyve gotten better in the last decades. Then again, I thought the same about Barbie. :sad:

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-22-2014, 02:16 PM
I haven't seen the Hobbit movies, but I've seen all of the LOTR movies. I think they're very well done, for the most part (though sometimes Peter Jackson overdoes the weird, tilted camera angles, for my taste). I adore the look and detail. And could anyone else be a better Gandalf than Ian McKellen?

If The Hobbit films are anything like the LOTR films, I'm a little sad that they turned a children's book into something that is much too intense, violent, and scary for little kids. Jackson's beginnings as a horror movie director really show. My kids loved The Hobbit when I read it to them, but I wouldn't let them see the films for a couple of more years, at least.

Riceball_Mommy
11-22-2014, 02:21 PM
One good thing I have to say for movies based off books is sometimes it spurs people to read the books. I've found several awesome series and individuals books thanks to tv shows and movies. I have thought many of the books have been better but it was the way I became aware of them.

The movies coming out is why I finally got motivated to read The Hobbit. It had been on my list to read but the movie really lit a fire under me to finally do it.

alexsmom
11-22-2014, 03:32 PM
I also am a little annoyed at Peter Jacksons love for horror movies and long battle sequences. I chalk it up to being *a guy thing*.

DS was probably 6 when he watched LOTR at home with us. We watched it with him, and were worried about scary or gruesome scenes. He seemed unphased by them - got out his plastic swords and tried doing the action sequences alongside the tv. Addams Family Values over the summer freaked him out, he didnt want to watch past the first five minutes, where the two older siblings were trying to kill their baby brother.
DS2, however... this week we were watching Ponyo, which seemed innocuous enough (he enjoyed My Neighbor Totoro and the other movie that starts with an N)... He was terrified and I honestly dont know what was scaring him about the movie. I guess we will be watching that when DS2 is asleep.

Maybe it all depends on the kid.

crazyme
11-22-2014, 04:15 PM
I like the Hobbit and LOTR movies, simply because I'm a Tolkien nerd, and anything to bring this world to life is better than nothing. However, I keep getting disappointed because he takes every single one of my most favorite scenes and totally rewrites them. The two big ones are Faramir in the cave with Frodo--in the book he shows his true wisdom and how strong and compassionate he is. The second is with Bilbo and the dragon and their riddle contest... how they form a relationship of sorts before deciding to check up on the Lakemen. None of this running through the treasure nonsense. Ugh, and they didn't leave Kili behind, either.

I'm now just trying to enjoy the movies as something into themselves, not as a repro of the book.