PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mom brag

inmom
07-29-2014, 03:07 PM
My dd applied to University of Iowa, English major, online Saturday. It's her first choice school, as she wants to go into creative writing and they have a superb Writer's Workshop there. She got her acceptance today! This was soooooo painless. Now I wonder what all my sleepless nights were about. She even got some automatic scholarships!

One kid down, one to go..... :)

ikslo
07-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Congratulations to you and your dd!

crazyme
07-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Congratulations! Being accepted for the writing program at the University of Iowa is like getting accepted to study engineering at MIT!

hockeymom
07-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Congratulations!! Oh my goodness--what an excellent school! You must both be so excited and so proud!! Brag away!

:_applaud::_applaud::_applaud:

homegirl
07-29-2014, 03:30 PM
WOW! Congratulations to you both! :)

ElizabethK
07-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Congratulations to you both! That was a fast turnaround!

ejsmom
07-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Congratulations! That is wonderful. Hearing about homeschoolers successfully moving on to college inspires me and gives me hope. Thank you for sharing your good news.

sdvelochick
07-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Congratulations. So exciting when your child is able to achieve such a goal!

Accidental Homeschooler
07-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Congrats to you and your dd! Dh did his MFA at the Writer's Workshop and loved every minute of it. She is going to love Iowa City. So many writers come through to give readings and do visiting professorships. Then there is the international part of the Writer's workshop so she can hear readings from writers from around the world too. I have heard John Irving, Norman Mailer, Abraham Verghese, I can't remember all of them lol. Iowa city is an UNESCO city of literature, it is that big a deal here. Sorry, using your mom brag to do a hometown brag lol. But we really do love it here. I hope it is everything she hoping for!

inmom
07-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Congrats to you and your dd! Dh did his MFA at the Writer's Workshop and loved every minute of it. She is going to love Iowa City. So many writers come through to give readings and do visiting professorships. Then there is the international part of the Writer's workshop so she can hear readings from writers from around the world too. I have heard John Irving, Norman Mailer, Abraham Verghese, I can't remember all of them lol. Iowa city is an UNESCO city of literature, it is that big a deal here. Sorry, using your mom brag to do a hometown brag lol. But we really do love it here. I hope it is everything she hoping for!

No problem on the hometown brag! We both loved Iowa City when we visited last spring. She's so excited to be going in Fall of 2015. Do you know how often or if writing students are involved with study abroad programs there? She'd love to do that too!

Accidental Homeschooler
07-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Well, there is this one:

Irish Writing Program (http://study-abroad.uiowa.edu/programs/details/index.php?crse=838)

And:

Overseas Writing Workshop (http://study-abroad.uiowa.edu/programs/details/index.php?crse=914)

aspiecat
07-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Oh, fantastic!! How wonderful for her!

I bet you're as proud as Punch!

Let the celebrations commence...:_applaud:

Aspie

pdpele
07-29-2014, 05:51 PM
What great news, Inmom! Congrats and Kudos to you both!

MrsLOLcat
07-29-2014, 08:53 PM
How wonderful!! Congratulations to you all! :) :) :)

Fairielover
07-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Congrats and welcome to the neighborhood. Iowa City is just down the road. (Well an hour down the road.)

inmom
07-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Julie, Thanks for the study abroad links. They look very interesting. And thanks, all, for the congrats. Our dd and dh and I are so glad all her hard work paid off. She's so excited to be going in a year!

groovymom2000
07-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Congratulations to both of you! That's just so cool.

crunchymum
07-30-2014, 01:54 PM
I love reading this stories. Congrats to BOTH of you on a job well done!

PinballWizard
07-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Wow! Thank you for sharing this wonderful, happy news! Congratulations to you both!:_applaud: