PDA

View Full Version : homeschooling in texas

kgm3
09-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I am a mother of three boys located in Midland, Texas. We just started home schooling our oldest son (he just turned 7). I have been searching for months to find other home schoolers in our area that we can get together with and enjoy this adventure together. I believe in God but do not agree w/the christian groups around here who all seem to be judgmental, narrow minded, and unkind. I don't go to church because my view of "christianity" and theirs are two completely different things. I believe myself to be a good person and I know people from all walks of life, w/different religious views (some of which do not believe at all), and w/different sexual orientation from mine and they are also good people. Isn't that what should matter? If there are other people around the permian basin that feel like I do they must be hiding out because I can't find them. I also can't say that I blame them. Anyway, the point to my rambling is one of hope. Does anybody know of anybody in my area that participates in secular home schooling? I don't want my kids to be shunned for their parents opinion. I don't want to feel completely alone in this new and sometimes scary world of home schooling. That being said, I also don't want to lead a pretend life as a fundamentalist christian.

Shoe
09-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Welcome to the site kgm3. There are lots of folks from Texas around here. Check out the Texas Group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=27) page.

SherryZoned
09-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Welcome! I am in Arlington, Texas and also homeschooling 3 boys. Good Luck on your quest for homeschoolers near you!

Teri
09-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Welcome! I am glad you found the site!

kgm3
09-04-2010, 07:04 PM
thanks for the welcome y'all. i'm getting closer by the minute to trying to form a group here. how in the world do you find people in your area? there is a yahoo group for permian basin homeschoolers but it doesn't have many members and the only one that participates is the creator of the group. it doesn't specify if it's secular or not. can i be the only one in this area that homeschools, wants to be a part of a group, but doesn't want to limit who may and may not join? surly not, right? i really want a group that doesn't exclude anyone and i think it's important for my boys to grow up around people of all kinds. i've posted on here and on a couple of secular facebook pages. can anyone give advice on where else to begin? also could use some advice on how to handle the people in the religious homeschooling group that i have been associating with. i don't want to offend anyone-i just don't agree w/the restrictions or any judgment that may be present in a restricted group. i think there should be a group that anyone who loves their children and has decided to homeschool can join. should i mention it on my current forum-which as far as i can tell-has only religious homeschoolers or should i keep it to myself? if i should mention it how should i approach it? AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! my head is spinning!! LOL!!!

Sarbare0704
09-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the group! Great to have you here! Now can some of you Texans move north onto Wisconsin please? LOL We need more secular cheese heads!

kgm3
09-05-2010, 10:22 AM
we are hoping to move somewhere north someday! we'll keep wisconsin on the list-my oldest son and i LOVE cheese!:D

Sarbare0704
09-05-2010, 10:28 AM
LOL! Good that makes me feel a bit better :)

kgm3
09-05-2010, 11:38 AM
y'all could always move here and help us start the group!! we have great laws in texas!!

Theresa Holland Ryder
09-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Yay, more Texas people! :) We're in Corpus Christi.

kgm3
09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
hi ya! how are things on the coast?

InstinctiveMom
09-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Welcome - I'm in TX, too - but in the Southeast area, so I'm no help as far as finding a group goes :)
~h

kgm3
09-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Well i just finished setting up my yahoo group. of course right now i'm the only member. guess now all i can do is wait? any ideas on how to get the word out? not quite sure what to do next.:confused:

Topsy
09-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Well i just finished setting up my yahoo group. of course right now i'm the only member. guess now all i can do is wait? any ideas on how to get the word out? not quite sure what to do next.:confused:

kgm3,

Check out this site article (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/220-How-To-Find-Other-Secular-Homeschoolers-Near-You) for more ideas on finding other secular homeschoolers near you. I wish you much success...in the meantime, we are certainly happy to be your "virtual" support group!!

kgm3
09-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks so much Topsy!!

schwartzkari
09-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Welcome to the group :) My family lives in the Lewisville/Dallas area.

Melissa541
09-05-2010, 11:15 PM
We're in Texas, too, but not close to you unfortunately; we're in DFW.

I soooo know how you feel about hiding out & not feeling so awesome with the fundamentalists; lots of those around here. We've been lucky to find some inclusive groups near us; while they are mainly Christian, they're for the most part accepting. My eldest has had some issues, but I have to say that's part & parcel of growing up anyway.

It's awesome you started a group. I'd put flyers all over the Christian homeschool stores & places; surely there are more like you who are just flying under the radar.

Welcome to the group!

kgm3
09-05-2010, 11:31 PM
thanks to the both of you for the welcome! i told my hubby earlier today that we needed to move to the dfw area!

pandahoneybee
09-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Welcome to the group! As you can see we are a friendly group! Sorry to hear about the troubles you have had with groups in your area! Maybe you just need to start your own secular group I bet it would fill up fast;) Check back often!

kgm3
09-07-2010, 08:28 AM
hi michelle! i started a yahoogroup. we'll see what happens!

pandahoneybee
09-07-2010, 08:42 AM
AWESOME:) I am sure with your great personality people will be breaking down the door to join!

kgm3
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
ummm-don't know about all that but i hope so