PDA

View Full Version : ACT Composite Scoring and Superscoring

aspiecat
07-18-2014, 02:23 PM
I have been trying to find out if you can take the ACT test more than once and have the highest subscores from all tests accounted for when applying for entry to a tertiary institution. It's not clear from the few ACT sites I have looked over, so I thought I'd ask here.

Policies of such tests are often modified, added and taken away each year, so finding what the current situation is is proving difficult. I have looked at information that is apparently "current" in four different ACT sites, but the information is sketchy at best as to what is what.

Also, I think I understand what superscoring is, but DH said he's not heard of that - then again, he took the ACT a few years ago now!

So if anyone can tell me if combining subscores over multiple ACT tests is a done thing for the ACT, and what you understand superscoring to be, I'd be grateful.

Aspie

groovymom2000
07-18-2014, 02:31 PM
I think it's dependent on the school that you are looking to attend. For example, IIRC, Duke stated that they would accept the highest section scores and the highest composite score, but that it would not combine all of the highest segment scores to make a new composite score.

I can't remember what other schools said now. But I don't remember seeing anything on the ACT site--but I wasn't looking all that hard. Duke's statement stood out for some reason.
HTH!

jess
07-19-2014, 02:45 PM
I agree - I think that's going to vary by school.

inmom
07-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Yes, it depends on each colleges policy. Google "College XYZ testing policy" for each school of interest.