PDA

View Full Version : FLL or MCT for 3rd?

elkhollow
09-02-2010, 09:25 PM
My 7 yo is nearly finished with the 1st/2nd grade First Language Lessons book and I'm starting to research where to go next. I am very interested in the MCT materials but she likes the FLL (she's an auditory learner) and I am a little reluctant to change. I have read MCT is advanced while FLL is rather gentle, and although she's working above grade level I don't want to frustrate her. She is using T4L (she's on the 3rd grade level for LA there) but I do like to supplement it, particularly since we don't use the LA extensions.

Any descriptions or helpful comments on FLL 3/4 and MCT would be greatly appreciated.

garett
09-02-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm not familiar with FLL so I'm not sure how much help I will be. We also have not officially started yet, so I can't even tell you how my own daughters are responding to MCT ... AND my daughters are in grade 4/5 so ...

Anyway we shopped around a LOT to find the right grammar program and ended up with MCT. The reason it is "advanced" is because it moves fast, there are few to no activities and there is absolutely no repetition. With that said, we plan to take notes, go slow and do our own activities, depending on how we think our daughters are absorbing the material.

What I really like about MCT is the style in which it is written. It is very passionate and enthusiastic about the subject, it uses poetry to illustrate concepts and it's very easy to understand.

The downside is that it's not something your 3rd grader will be able to do independently, unless she works very well independently and can absorb, analyze and apply material almost entirely by just reading about it. So you will almost certainly have to go through the material with your daughter, be very aware of how she is responding to it and come up with ways of providing repetition if/when you feel necessary. Though there are some exercises at the back of the teacher's manual. There are also the practice island books but she will have to go through, at the very least, all of part 1 before beginning. And that might be a bit much for an 8 year-old who doesn't have impeccable memory or able to move really fast.

Kylie
09-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm sorry but can some one please expand on MCT I am missing the abbreviation here?

elkhollow
09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks, Garett.

elkhollow
09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
MCT=Michael Clay Thompson
http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php

Shoe
09-03-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm sorry but can some one please expand on MCT I am missing the abbreviation here?

Kylie, I started a thread on Abbreviations and Acronyms related to homeschooling (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/487-Abbreviations-and-Acronyms-related-to-Homeschooling), that Topsy was kind enough to turn into an article (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/261-Abbreviations-and-Acronyms-related-to-Homeschooling) that might be helpful for you, since I had the same problems with lots of these abbreviations.