PDA

View Full Version : Educational Card Games or Games in general

SherryZoned
09-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Thought I would share. I discovered 2 games Loot and State Scramble 2 from Gamewright at my local thrift store today. I have tons of board games but some of them have so many pieces or just to big for a quick game that I have been leaning towards card games or at least very compact games. I have not played them yet with my 11 year old but thought I would share.

http://amzn.to/9ABKCD

What type of educational fun games does your family play?
(I am preferably looking for non computer games)

belacqua
09-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Are you familiar with the card game called "Set"? It's all about pattern recognition. The summer camp my kid attends even has a class on The Mathematics of Set.

SherryZoned
09-02-2010, 06:57 PM
No I am not familiar belaqua but I will go look that up now.

We are shooting for mostly educational toys for Christmas.
I have found now that my kids are not in public school they want educational games. Course after the deschooling part they actually really enjoy learning again.

garett
09-02-2010, 07:05 PM
I know this might sound really taboo, particularly with the stigma that is often associated with the game, but we teach our girls to play texas hold 'em poker.

A lot of entrepreneurs gravitate towards the game because it builds a lot of skills necessary to run a business. Some of the abstract skills are:

1) Statistical probability
2) Pattern recognition
3) Memorization
4) Quick thinking
5) Bullshit detection

A good poker player focuses on increasing his over all winnings over the long term. Each bet is looked at as an investment with the probability for a return being represented as a percentage. Which the individual player is responsible for determining in his head based on the cards on the table, in his hand and the betting patterns displayed by the other players.

I think of hold 'em poker as being very similar to chess in terms of the higher abstract reasoning required and it's focus on long-term strategy (we play chess too). In many ways, however, it is better because the specific skills learned in poker have [more] real-life applicability.

I recommend any book by David Slansky for info about the theory of the game.

BPier12
09-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Here are some we like:

Quiddler - (word game with cards. By the makers of Set, which we also love)
Pentago - small board game, lots of strategy involved
Gobblet - small board game, also lots of strategy
Uno - I don't think it is what I would call educational (unless you have really young kids to whom you are teaching colors and numbers), but we still love playing it.

SherryZoned
09-02-2010, 07:33 PM
I love Poker! lol I was taught at 6 years old to play poker and we played with pennies. I have not played in years now, so no I don't think it is taboo.

Thanks for the game ideas!

I love Uno too.. and I like the card game speed where you have to be quick about putting your card down with the next highest or lower number and who ever runs out of cards first wins.

farrarwilliams
09-02-2010, 08:09 PM
We love Set. We also love all the Gamewright games we have... some are more educational than others, of course, but my kids loved Bzz Out when they were smaller and now they love Rat-a-Tat-Cat - both games teach greater than/less than and Rat-a-Tat-Cat teaches addition and some basic strategy.

In general, we play a lot of educational games and I find homeschoolers know what games are both excellent and educational. A couple weeks ago, I was with a family member who is a long time elementary school teacher - the kind who plucks up her courage every year and does her best as the system tries to beat her down. She watched us play Rat-a-Tat-Cat and was like, wow, I'm going to get that for students who finish math early. I was mentioning the resources we used for all kinds of things and there were many things like that which I would think would be useful to classroom teachers that she had never heard of, especially games and math manipulatives.

hockeymom
09-02-2010, 08:24 PM
This is a great thread. We play lots of Monopoly (DS has to figure out the math for the banker), Scrabble (adult), Yahtzee (he plays this with his grandparents; I can't stand it), math bingo and the like. I am hoping to get him Take Off, which is a fabulous geography game. I can't wait to look at the other suggestions posted here!

SherryZoned
09-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Awesome games hockeymom.

I am finding it hard to play games with all 3 boys due to the age difference so finding shorter games means i can eek out time for all of them. I do love Monopoly though but it is SUCH A LONG GAME!!

LOL Yahtzee is fun!

aggie
09-04-2010, 12:19 PM
We have game day every friday afternoon if everything else is done. When the kids were smaller and learning math facts, we played a homemade version of concentration. You had to flip three cards, such as 4, 3 and 12 (4x3=12). Can be used for any operation. We love scrabble, Last Word, and of course Uno.

Firefly_Mom
09-05-2010, 12:43 AM
We *love* playing games, and I always find it amusing (and kinda sad) that none of my son's ps friends play games as a family. As for our favorites (leaving off the ones already mentioned):

Blackjack
Apples to Apples
Blokus
Scatergories
Clue
Sequence
Mastermind
Payday

I know there are more that we play, but those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Melyssa
09-05-2010, 12:49 AM
We're addicted to the Professor Noggin trivia card games. We have about six decks. I always buy a pack when I come across them usually in independent toy stores but you can order them. There are over 30 to pick from. They're just really easy to play, we keep them in our coffee table drawers.

Sarbare0704
09-05-2010, 08:40 AM
We love games over here! With Lucy working on her beginning reading right now we are loving Boggle jr. It is great for beginning readers/ spellers! it comes with a deck of cards you place on the tray the card spell what the picture is exp. cat and the tray has a flap to cover the word. they are supposed to find the letters on the cubes to make the words and then check if they are right. She can even play it herself! It is great!

We picked it up at a garage sale so I am not sure how available it is now... maybe Amazon? I am convinced they have everything!

hockeymom
09-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Sara: Lucy might also like Scrabble Jr. The board comes with pre-printed words that you have to fill in. It's great for learning words, and game rules. My son loved it at her age and it helped him "graduate" to adult Scrabble by the time he was 6. Monopoly Jr is another good one, and not quite as tediously long as the adult version. :)

Sarbare0704
09-05-2010, 09:17 AM
We actually picked up Scrabble Jr at a rummage sale too but haven't tried it yet! Thanks maybe we will do that this week!

mommykicksbutt
09-05-2010, 07:07 PM
My daughter and I used to play rummy with the "Authors" decks. 'Do you have any Nathanial Hawthorns?'

My grandfather taught my daughter (then age 4) to play 5 card stud poker, she got real good at all the attributes Garret listed. At 16 she transitioned to Texas 2-card and cleaned everybody out of Fruit Loops (poker chips) one New Year's eve. It was an all adult function but she was allowed 'cuz she knew how to play. Two of the guys who owed her their shirts asked if it was passed her bedtime and that she needed to leave (LOL). Don't ever play poker with my now 25 y.o. daughter, she'll take your not only the shirt off your back but your car, your house, and your first born. And that last attribute (bullshit detection) is what made her so damn good when she was with the police department.

As for the last one still at home I can't get him to play and card or board game. All he wants to do is "own noobs" electronically on-line via his computer or the Xbox.

BPier12
09-06-2010, 10:48 AM
My daughter and I used to play rummy with the "Authors" decks. 'Do you have any Nathanial Hawthorns?'

I loved playing "Authors" with my grandmother, who, at one time, had been a college English professor. At the age of five, I had no clue that not only was she having fun playing a game with me, she was also giving me a solid education in literature!

Suzakin
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I LOVE so many of these games but it is just my son and I so it can be kind of boring just the two of us. However, my father taught me blackjack as a kid and I loved it. Early basic math skills. So I don't think poker is so taboo. I think it is a GREAT idea.

Many of the other games all of you mentioned are fantastic. My personal favorite is Scrabble which no one will play with me because I am better than most so I win often.

One quick note for those of you who are or have Monopoly fans. It can be a LONG game but for $20 we found a portable version that you can close up and save for later. So now we play for a half hour and put it away and take it out in a day or so to finish. Now we BOTH enjoy it more.

SherryZoned
09-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I LOVE so many of these games but it is just my son and I so it can be kind of boring just the two of us. However, my father taught me blackjack as a kid and I loved it. Early basic math skills. So I don't think poker is so taboo. I think it is a GREAT idea.

Many of the other games all of you mentioned are fantastic. My personal favorite is Scrabble which no one will play with me because I am better than most so I win often.

One quick note for those of you who are or have Monopoly fans. It can be a LONG game but for $20 we found a portable version that you can close up and save for later. So now we play for a half hour and put it away and take it out in a day or so to finish. Now we BOTH enjoy it more.

Oh thank for the tip about the portable monopoly! With 2 smaller kids who want to get into everything that would be so very useful.