PDA

View Full Version : 4-day a week schedule

Paula
07-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Going on our third year homeschooling, I'm leaning toward saving Fridays for outings, activities, or messy science stuff that didn't get done through the week. In the past, we schooled Monday through Friday, but as the year would drag on, we would declare days off in the middle of the week out of exhaustion.

So for those of you already on this schedule, how's it working for you? Is the three day break too much to slide back into tablework on Monday?

Another reason I'm wanting to try this schedule is because we're having a baby at the end of October (trying not freak out!) and hoping for an easier time load this year. So for those of you who've had babies in the middle of a semester, what did you do, schedule-wise, to keep your sanity?

I am open to any and all forms of advice! TIA!

Elly
07-13-2014, 10:32 AM
It doesn't necessarily have to be a Friday, if you're worried about not being motivated to come back. Our Friday routine tends to be a 'catch up' day. If there's stuff left over I wanted to cover we will try and do it. I've also sometimes done a small amount on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, particularly if it's reading that we can spread out. Not sure that helps! Our routine changes a lot, but it seems to work out over time.

Elly

homegirl
07-13-2014, 11:29 AM
We do 4 days a week. We've been doing 4 days a week for two years now, and hopefully we'll be able to do it for 3rd grade this fall!

Friday usually doesn't work for us as a day off because I've noticed that the traffic around here starts earlier on Friday. I can't blame people for wanting to get their weekend started sooner rather than later. But that means thicker traffic for us. So we usually have a day off on Tuesday or Wednesday.

My daughter spends the weekend with her dad (we're divorced), so if I didn't carve out time to do something fun during the week, I'd become the all-school-and-no-play parent :)

ejsmom
07-13-2014, 01:27 PM
We sometimes do a 3 & 1/2 day week. M-W we really buckle down. Thursday we have activity or class with a homeschool group, and it's a 40 minute drive one way. Usually when we get home, we might do one or two things. Or not. But not a full day. Friday's ds usually spends with his grandparents, these days. My dad is retired and works PT, but has Fridays off completely. They go fishing, or hiking, and I can catch up on stuff around the house, or run errands, work on big projects like cleaning out a closet (or organizing the basement), or even just watch a movie, go browse an antique store, or do something to keep myself sane and not burnt out. A lot of times we use Fridays for field trips to zoos, aquariums, museums, an grandpa comes along. The chance to make those memories won't come around again.

We may do a half day on Fridays, and some weeks if I feel we are behind where I want to be, we do a full day of book work. We also will sometimes do a little work over the weekend from time to time.

I find my ds is ready for the structure and routine of a fresh week on Monday. Not every kid will, though. If it were me, in your situation, I would look at taking Wednesday off. That way your lighter, easier days are more evenly spaced out, especially with having a newborn.

aspiecat
07-13-2014, 01:44 PM
We are sorta kinda doing that, although many might not see it that way. DS decided that to get through one year's worth of work in one semester, he would work through the weekend as well. So I suggested he use the weekend as his "catch up" days, when, if we end up going out somewhere during the week, missed lesson time is made up.

We went to the movies on Friday to avoid too many people on the weekend, so Saturday was making up History and today is making up Chemistry and Pre-Calculus. Sunday is also the day when he does his MCHS weekly quiz to prepare for building on Monday.

Aspie

Oksana
07-13-2014, 01:50 PM
This past year, my dd had all of her therapies scheduled in the mornings on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays (not my choice, just what was available because other kids were in schools), so we could only do "table work" on Fridays through Mondays.

I did not like it at all. It was hard to get back to where we left off (even harder for me than for her). The first day was usually spent just recalling what we did before, where we stopped, getting through "but why do we need to do it" questions again, which left only 3 days for productive work.

My personal preference would be to do a little bit of "school work" every day, unless traveling or sick. Even just 10-20 min would be enough to keep it going more smoothly.

dbmamaz
07-13-2014, 03:47 PM
wed was usually our light day, and friday was our most frequent day for field trips.

Elly
07-13-2014, 09:27 PM
My personal preference would be to do a little bit of "school work" every day, unless traveling or sick. Even just 10-20 min would be enough to keep it going more smoothly.

Yes, I really like a little and often, too.

We often go out on weekdays. I've got so spoiled that I'm really a bit taken aback by the suggestion that we go somewhere on WEEKENDS? What, when everyone else is there?!

Elly

ejsmom
07-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Elly - I'm the same way, now. When dh asks us to do a field trip on a weekend so he can go along, I try to get him to take time off to go with us on a weekday, instead. I find that everyone else is out and about on weekends, and I'm at home - gardening, doing laundry, watching movies. Why would I want to go out on a weekend? I feel like I've dropped out of 'normal' society anymore.

mrscwalls
07-14-2014, 12:22 PM
We do a four-day schedule and love it. Our "day off" is Thursdays because my son comes home from his Dad's house Thursday mornings and is usually very tired.

leakyowl
07-14-2014, 04:55 PM
We do a four day a week schedule, too. We're year-rounders so I don't really worry too much about time.

melissa
07-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Congrats Paula! I think a 4 day a week schedule would work fine for you guys. We tend to call a day off from school on Fridays just because we want a day to be lazy before we are running around with dad on the weekends. I have found that as long as I talk to him about the things we have been studying, just ask questions here and there on days off, then he still has it fresh in his head for Monday. Good luck with everything!!

brainchild
07-28-2014, 03:31 PM
We have pretty much always done a 4-day school week with co-op on Fridays or every other Friday depending what year it was.

There is so much more to homeschool learning than just normal school work as we all know. There's cooking, fishing, housework/chores, ceramics, doing volunteer work at the nursing home, etc. So in reality, most of us are homeschooling 7 days a week!

Mariam
07-28-2014, 03:43 PM
We do a 4 days a week, Monday-Thursday for table work with Friday as a field trip day. If we miss a day, we don't do make-up days. If we take longer than we take longer.

crunchymum
07-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Fridays are our standing field trip co-op, book club and writing club days. I try to keep Mondays completely clear so there is room for a slower start and a bit of lazier afternoon with read alouds and longer lunch etc. Other than that I don't make adjustments and it seems just fine.

Chelle
08-05-2014, 12:17 PM
We switched to having four full days of instruction and work, then Friday became our day for tests/quizzes, completing final drafts of writing assignments, and catch-up on unfinished work. They strive to get everything done during the week on their own time so that they only have to do their testing stuff in the morning and have the rest of the day free. Sometimes they will ask me if they can do their tests on Thursday evening so the can just have the entire day free.

crunchymum
08-05-2014, 12:50 PM
This is basically our schedule.
We have our longstanding co-op on Friday mornings and then the kids have book clubs, writing clubs, girls group activities etc on Friday afternoons.
They still are learning lots of Fridays. I don't think it is much of a shift for them to get back to the books on Monday. They are usually rested and have some fresh energy for it. But we also don't do "school" as stringently as some. We have lots of co-ops and group learning, gymnastics lessons etc that happen during the week as well (although I try to keep them to the afternoon to allow for some focused time in the morning).

Can't help you much with the baby - but congrats!