PDA

View Full Version : our new school year starts June 30th

my3legacies
06-27-2014, 04:43 PM
We do year round school with 5 weeks off for summer, and then a week off every 4-7 weeks, plus two weeks at xmas. So I have been busy this week getting everything ready and getting their list of assignments ready for next week.

aspiecat
06-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Good luck! We start Tuesday - DS takes "starting at the beginning of July" very seriously LOL - so only one day behind you!

Aspie

outskirtsofbs
06-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Wow, that's just around the corner! Definitely good luck. We start on 8/4/14 and I'm busy scheduling everything. LOL

groovymom2000
06-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Right behind you. We start July 7. I am still scrambling to get everything here and lined up. We are starting our 6th year here, you would think I would have it together by now, but I always end up frantically trying to get things in order...

aspiecat
06-30-2014, 12:19 PM
We do year round school with 5 weeks off for summer, and then a week off every 4-7 weeks, plus two weeks at xmas. So I have been busy this week getting everything ready and getting their list of assignments ready for next week.

How did today go? I am finalising what happens when, and getting almost nervous about it! LOL

Aspie

mamaraby
06-30-2014, 12:53 PM
We're a few days behind that with 7/11 as the first day. We follow dh's work rotation so the friday monday is probably not ideal. We've been off since May 1st so part of me reeeeally doesn't want to start again, but we like early finishes and long winter breaks.

Aspie - totally get that nervous feeling. :0)

hockeymom
06-30-2014, 01:53 PM
We won't start until sometime in August, but I'm spending far too much of my time researching and planning out the upcoming year. Middle school has me a bit freaked out and my goal is to go into it much better prepared than I usually am (not so much winging it, having lists of resources attached to the appropriate lessons, gathering all science experiment necessities ahead of time and so on). Summer is really just getting started here, but I know it will go fast. I'm both loving the planning and wanting to start up again soon, and neededing a brain break from it all.

crazyme
06-30-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm still trying to find the right schedule for us. We've had a very loose year-round schedule, but I'm thinking that I need to plan more. My eldest is definitely wanting more structure and now that he is going into middle school, I suspect that coursework will demand it. Scratch that--I know it will demand it. He started doing some middle school work this year and it was hard to get it all in being loosey-goosey. That said, full-time won't start again until September sometime, after we take a trip to Arizona (which will finish up a geology unit we will start in August).

Do you guys do anything special to start the first day. Special breakfast? Activities? New personal school supplies? I think I need some way to herald in the new year since we do a little every week right now.

quabbin
06-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Do you guys do anything special to start the first day. Special breakfast? Activities? New personal school supplies? I think I need some way to herald in the new year since we do a little every week right now.

I do a first day photo on the front porch with a sign telling what grade he's in now, give a little Schultute or gift bag of school supplies, and ask the same questions every year and keep track of his answers.
I might need to think up a special lunch. It will be Labor Day, so I'd rather eat at home.

We are doing our summer term right now, but I will be registering our homeschool with the state this week! :D Our next days off should be in October.

aspiecat
06-30-2014, 04:37 PM
The first day we just take things kind of slowly. I make him a hot breakfast (usually he makes his own breakfast...after all, he's 15 LOL), and we spend the day going through what is what, expectations on both sides, and how to achieve the goals he wants. First day lessons are more about looking at the material and getting to know what the "flavour" is for everything. I guess we could take a pic...not sure he'd be in for that though haha

Aspie

justabout
06-30-2014, 05:54 PM
I like the idea of a picture on the porch, with questions, and a special breakfast. Might nick that for when our school year starts (in February)

farrarwilliams
06-30-2014, 06:24 PM
We have done different special first day things - often it's what we call "Box Day" and I make a big box of all the new school supplies and I buy some fun pencils and erasers and art supplies and so forth along with new books and texts and science equipment and they get to open it and check it all out. This year though there will be almost no new books and equipment, so I'll have to come up with something else.

mamaraby
06-30-2014, 10:04 PM
We usually do the picture the first day of school after Labor Day and then have some kind of fun activity to do. This year I'm thinking I should maybe refresh our school supplies or maybe buy new pencils. I got so focused on books that I completely forgot about the non-book stuff.

MrsLOLcat
06-30-2014, 10:11 PM
I would normally start here in about a week or two.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
07-01-2014, 08:25 AM
We'll start August 18th. I take a picture of the kids on the front porch and try to plan a few fun things for the first week. Last year, we built a terrarium, did reading outside, and went out for pizza. I tried making little bags with books, pencils, sudoku puzzles, etc., but the kids were kind of "meh" about them.

aspiecat
07-01-2014, 09:02 AM
He didn't want a hot breakfast - just his normal waffles (they ARE hot, but I meant bacon & eggs) - and has just dragged himself into the bathroom for a shower.

He looks about as enthusiastic as a slug on Valium this morning bahaha.

Aspie

groovymom2000
07-01-2014, 10:21 AM
He didn't want a hot breakfast - just his normal waffles (they ARE hot, but I meant bacon & eggs) - and has just dragged himself into the bathroom for a shower.

He looks about as enthusiastic as a slug on Valium this morning bahaha.

Aspie

ROFL! That's how my teen begins every morning...and he's he's not looking forward to next week, either. I just keep repeating to myself that someday he will emerge again as a human...someday.

my3legacies
07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
We take a picture of the boys by the front door every year on the first day of school. We can tell how much they have grown by how tall they are compared to the door knob. The first week of school is usually 1/2 to 3/4 days, and I focus on like 3 subjects. They get a head start in those subjects. Like, instead of the normal 4-5 math lessons per week, they do 10 math lessons. And instead of taking 2 weeks to do one unit in their language arts program, they do a unit in one week. And science is just a lot of review. This gets a little bit ahead, so if they miss a day here or there during the year, they still stay on track. We always buy the kids 1-2 new outfits, and a few supplies for the new school year. When they were in PS, then we also bought them new shoes and new backpacks just before they started their new school year. But since they are homeschooled, we don't have to do that anymore. Then the 2nd week, we hit the ground running with their normal coursework.