PDA

View Full Version : Hello from usually sunny, right now rainy, California!

qsonsomom
03-13-2010, 12:20 AM
We have been homeschooling for 11 years with one disastrous two year period in public school. I have an 11 year old son and a 9 year old daughter. I am thrilled to find other secular homeschoolers. I homeschooled my son for kindergarten, then enrolled him in public school for first and second grade mostly because the only homeschooling families I had been able to meet had been members of, my husband's term here, "The God Squad." The bad part is that I have always been interested in learning about different religions and value systems. I try to teach my children respect, not tolerance, for all religions. (Ok, I'm off my soap box now.)

The secular road hasn't always been easy. I've almost always created my own curriculum, especially when it comes to science. You would think that, given the "liberal" reputation of California that we would have no problems meeting other secular homeschoolers; but we live in a duo-income area and most families can't afford to have one parent at home schooling. I'm excited to share some of our curriculum ideas and to have an opportunity to learn from others.

Snoopy
03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Welcome to SH!

Topsy
03-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Glad to meet you! You are right...I often think about those "lucky secular homeschoolers" out in CA who have all that support! So sorry to hear that its not as widespread as rumored. ;)

I hope you will find some much-needed shoulders to lean on right here, then. Don't hesitate to jump right in and get active here at SHS.com!!

Topsy

Jamisina
03-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Welcome! I miss California, but I guess I shouldn't too much with the rain!;-)

I never homeschooled in CA, but probably will when return (whenever that is). It's good to know that I'll have to be more than ready before I get there.

CroppinMom
03-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Welcome qsonsomom! I can completely relate to what you're dealing with. Where in CA are you from? I grew up in the northern San Diego area.