PDA

View Full Version : Summer Favourites

aspiecat
06-19-2014, 07:16 PM
I have discovered I can make pretty good ice-cream. The flavours I have made so far are:
Strawberry-cookies 'n' cream
Blueberry
Mint chocolate chip (used Andee's chips for this...yum!)

My DH has requested mocha (choc-espresso) and my FIL banana. I will also, once the summer heat hits us, start on sorbets.

The only problem is that my DH's family has decided that my ice-cream is so good they want me to continue making it and they refuse to buy anymore from the store!

:D:

Aspie

dbmamaz
06-20-2014, 10:11 AM
I am dairy free and most of the store-bought dairy free ice creams have ingredients I am also allergic to. My youngest mostly will only eat vanilla. I have made soy milk ice cream mostly, but i'm now trying to keep the youngest off of soy. I made a pb coconut milk one which EVERYONE raved about, and then a vanilla coconut milk one which was tasteless. For my b-day tomorrow I'm going to try the coconut vanilla but add some raspberry syrup - which I will make after I go to the farmers market in the morning and buy some raspberries! Wish me luck. The best ever soy milk one I made was actually a raspberry - i forget what kind, but it was kinda pale color and bland, but fantastic in the ice cream.

fastweedpuller
06-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Hijack again: happy near-birthday Cara! I don't do internet on weekends so I will miss your day. MMmargarita!

I have had zero luck with soy icecreams. We have dairy goats so I make frozen yogurt: we're in the Fruit Belt of Michigan and peaches are HUGE here, but so are all other fruits (well, of course not tropical fruits, though I do grow figs and kiwi), but if I get cream I do make icecream with a sh*t TON of our eggs.

BUT: PIE. It's PIE season again.

dbmamaz
06-20-2014, 10:52 AM
What pies do you make now? I make apple pie in the fall, and all sorts of pies around holiday - pumpkin and apple cranberry and chocolate and lemon and pb. But I like to make peach cobbler and strawberry shortcake and blueberry coffee cake and raspberry ice cream lol.

fastweedpuller
06-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Last Sun for Father's day we made strawberry/rhubarb with our own fruit, child complaining mightily when she picked the berries in the mosquito-y garden. (I told her the payoff would be great.) But I'm partial to peach cobbler...and cherry pie with neighbor's sour cherries.

I make TONS of fruit syrups too, Cara. I find they're a great addition in adult beverages.

Oh gah and I wonder why it's hard to lose weight in the summer.

dbmamaz
06-20-2014, 11:23 AM
oh, yeah, cherry pie - i used to make cherry pie for my birthday every year! My father had planted a cherry tree (two, maybe? and 2 sweet which died) when I was a kid, and the first house I bought as an adult also had a sour cherry tree! They are really hard to find, though. I did make a sour cherry gluten-free, dairy-free 'pop-tart' type pastry (definitely not to put in the toaster though lol).

asim595
07-07-2014, 02:10 AM
These are looking very nice and also my favorite.

MrsLOLcat
07-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Blueberry Sky Pie is an annual summer tradition here. And it's no-bake, so that makes me even happier lol

dbmamaz
07-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Peach season is starting . . . peach cobbler is coming to my house soon

MrsLOLcat
07-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Peach season is starting . . . peach cobbler is coming to my house soon

OH YES. I make my own peach preserves, too. We go down to the local peach orchard and get an entire bushel, and I'll make preserves and cobbler and while I *used* to get Willie Nelson's Peach Cobbler ice cream from B&J, they've discontinued it, so I'm going to have to work out how to make my own.

dbmamaz
07-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Problem is, there are no orchards within 100 miles of me, but some of the farmers bring them to the local market. If i'm lucky, i can come a little late and get the bad ones at half price.

BerthaCardone
08-21-2014, 02:34 AM
Mostly I don't like to eat sweet, but your ice-cream sounds yummy, I would like to try it. I mostly eat only salty dish, in summer also. My favorite is Sweet and Salty Bacon and Nuts.