PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about part time HS and part time PS

PetVet
06-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Due to family health issues, DS10 went back to our local PS mid February and has a week left of school. I advised the school admin that we would be returning to HSing next year and they have offered him a modified curticulum option for next year: PS mornings (LA, Sci/SS (alternating) and 'Extras'), with HS afternoons (we'd be responsible for all his math and any LA/Sci/SS enrichment that interests him/us).

This would allow him to see his main group of same age friends every day (big plus for us as we are rural, he is a singleton, and our local HS community is tiny, which doesn't allow for many opportunities to make new friends), as well as take advantage of band, drama, art, *French* (my HS nemesis!), and all the extra-curricular school sports he is dying to try. My worries are that he might end up overloaded with schoolwork (busywork) if they assign homework in the AM classes, all the driving back & forth esp early mornings in bad winter weather, and, the flipside of the major positive, increased exposure to peer-socialized kids vs parent-socialized kids. (One of my biggest surprizes when we moved from PS to HS, was realizing how much 'kinder' (for lack of a better word) the average HS child is vs the average B&M schooled child, at least in our area. I think DS was too young to realise this when we left PS, but he's commented multiple times since his return about how mean the kids are to each other and how much nicer the HS kids were. :()

DS wants to go back to HSing. He doesn't have much patience for badly behaved students who waste time in class, thinks the academics are 'boring' (he is quite a bit above grade level), has told me several times that he misses doing all of MBtP (I knew it was a good fit, bit now realize it's a great fit!:)), and would like to return for extra-curriculars only. However, I had previously enquired about that option, but it's not available in our district, unfortunately.

So... If you've been down this road, please pass along your wisdom. I have 6-8 weeks to decide!

Starkspack
06-14-2014, 02:07 PM
I have not had this experience, but I wondered if you are truly on the fence - can you try it out for a few months and see if you and DS like it? You could always switch to HS later in the fall if it doesn't meet your needs?

But on the other hand, sounds like DS really wants to HS. Could be that the pros of the social (and some curriculum) aspects would be outweighed by the cons of the social and convenience factors.

darkelf
06-14-2014, 06:43 PM
I did part time with #3 because of his Learning disabilities. It worked ok. They could never get him on the ride the bus to school, me pick him up. It was always drop him off at and pick him up after.

#3 is my social boy. He loves school. (He finds the kids an issue sometimes, But he really loves interacting with the adults) Working with the school, we put him back in school for the last 2 quarters. We aren't sure IF it was a success, but we are giving it 1 more quarter.

In our state we are allowed extra curriculars (like sports). My older guys used that to play sports 7th grade and up. (#3 is entering 7th this coming year, so there was nothing for him.) Our district only offers extra curriculars for 7th grader and up, I think if something was offered for younger students, we could do it.

I liked part time and so did #3, but it isn't for everyone. There was days it was a PITA, but most days it worked.

justabout
06-14-2014, 10:14 PM
We did part-time last year, with health school supporting DS at home, before we moved to fulltime homeschooling.
It isn't an ideal option socially. The problem is that the kids who are only there part-time are slightly on the fringes. So my son who was already struggling socially ended up even more isolated.

PetVet
06-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Her getting enough time with other kiddos is a HUGE source of insecurity for me. Is she really just a solitary person? Or, do I need to push her harder to spend more time with similar-aged peers? I won't know the answer for another decade or so, and can only make my best guess.

This exactly.

Although it sounds good in theory, I'm feeling that cross-enrolment would end up being even MORE work, without any significant advantages. AND the driving to and fro ends up being just as much of a time suck as our hschool driving - with far less flexibility. It sounds like our decision is made. It isn't :confused:

This too.

Glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. I went to PS, and although it was mostly boring, I also remember it as kinda fun. (Of course, that was high school, and I'm not planning to stress about that for another few years ;)) I'm leaning toward having him try it out, but every time I look at our fall schedule, I get a headache - I'm sure there will end up being extra busywork, and that, plus the driving, is going to do me in! If I were sure he would be better off spending mornings with his peers, I'd do it without question or complaint, but as I'm not sure that's the case, I'm dithering.

PetVet
06-15-2014, 01:37 PM
I liked part time and so did #3, but it isn't for everyone. There was days it was a PITA, but most days it worked.

Thanks Marta. Glad to hear a positive experience. :)

PetVet
06-15-2014, 01:51 PM
It isn't an ideal option socially. The problem is that the kids who are only there part-time are slightly on the fringes. So my son who was already struggling socially ended up even more isolated.

Thanks justabout. Do you think it would have been different (better?) had your son not already been struggling socially?

I was thinking that being at school part time would bring him closer to the centre socially, as school is a frequent topic of discussion whenever we are at any of his activities (hockey, soccer, camp, etc), and with HSing the last three years, he's pretty much out of the PS loop. He could care less, but we both notice that it's one of the primary topics of conversation (if not interest ;)) It hasn't been a problem, as the teams/groups are made up of close in age peers who attend as many as eight different schools, so he's not the only one who isn't familiar with the details of whatever is being discussed, but if all the kids do happen to break up into school related conversation groups, he's always the odd homeschool-man out. This doesn't last too long with 10yo boys, but I'm wondering if it might get more or less frequent with age...

hockeymom
06-16-2014, 06:39 AM
This doesn't last too long with 10yo boys, but I'm wondering if it might get more or less frequent with age...

I'm guessing--based on what I see with my sons own friends and teammates--that it will become less frequent. Already some of the talk has become about girls (not an interest AT ALL for DS though, but very much for the other boys). When I'm around groups of teammates and so on (like hanging out at track meets), I don't hear much about school from the other boys, honestly, even the slightly older kids. I think as their interests widen outside the school corridors there is just more to talk about. I do understand your situation, sometimes this feels like a pretty big experiment imposed on our kids.

PetVet
06-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Thanks hockeymom! That's what I was thinking, and very much hoping, would happen. :)

CrazyCatWoman
06-16-2014, 04:00 PM
If it is giving you headaches thinking about it, you probably shouldn't do it. Been there, and we ended up dropping the class that met twice a week because it was such a pain for our family.

On the other hand....we belong to an ALE (think homeschooling charter school) that has some on site classes. My oldest for the last two years participated in a STEAM class (science, technology, engineering, art and math.) It met one day a week with occasional extras and homework that sometimes was assigned between classes. I felt it was well worth it to cut back some on a few things we were doing at home so that she could get done what she needed for the class. My middle will be in it next year, along with also being in a daily writing class for his IEP. At least, he will be in the writing class if he can go 4 days a week because it won't work for the STEAM class if he misses two hours to go to the writing class. Whereas, it should work better for him to miss one day of the writing class, get work ahead of time and turn it in the following day. But we will see. So, I guess what I am saying here is, do you think that the programs at the school will be worth the time, and worth eating into the time that you will spend with him? My kids do their best work in the morning...waiting to do math in the afternoon does not work well.

And yes, home school kids ARE nicer as a group. Schooled kids can be nice too, but they tend to feed on each other in a mean way that doesn't happen in home school kids. Home school kids will play with the opposite gender, will play with older or younger kids or kids with differences and , will in general, not tease. Schooled kids will try on the attitudes that they see other kids trying at school. Depending on how parents handle it, depends on if it becomes part of their personality.