PDA

View Full Version : Graphic novel suggestions?

skrink
06-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Dd is exploring manga and is truly in love with graphic novels and cartoons. However, we're having a hard time finding appropriate (picturing stern faced school marm as I use that word) material for her to sink her teeth into. She is reading well beyond grade level, but emotionally is very young for her age. She is also hugely sensitive to gender stereotyping. I would love some suggestions. Farrar?

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-12-2014, 01:24 PM
My kids like Amulet, Tintin, Asterix, Zita the Space Girl, and Bone. All appropriate for elementary school... though Tintin is teaching my kids about things like opium dens and many kinds of alcoholic beverages. :rolleyes:

Keiran'sMom
06-12-2014, 02:42 PM
We like Fairy Tail and Fruits Basket. There are some gender bending in Fruits Basket. We also like Tsubasa which is a Clamp Manga Series. They can sometimes be over the top but it is an all woman run company, biggest problem is violence. I have not read it in a long time so I might have memory loss. Also, you can check manga on amazon, I amnpretty certain there is a way to narrow it down by age or rating.

farrarwilliams
06-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Hereville (best series for this age ever)
Amulet
Zita
Bone (though the gender stereotyping abounds)
Giants Beware (especially great for the gender stereotyping stuff)
Rapunzel's Revenge and Calamity Jack
Missile Mouse
The Secret Science Alliance (a good one for the gender equality stuff)
Robot Dreams and Bake Sale
Hildafolk
To Dance
Foiled

My favorite author for this age for girls is usually Raina Telegemeier, but she writes sort of middle school girl drama stuff. Usually at just the right level for this age but it might or might not be a hit with a girl who's not ready for it. She also does the Babysitter's Club graphic novels in addition to her own stuff.

There's more out there too. Most of this stuff will be really easy if she's a good reader though.

There's also lots of graphic universe titles that retell myths and classic literature and science and so forth. And there's lots of good actual comics and superhero stuff that's basically fine for kids. And there's graphic novel tie ins for things - I especially adore the Avatar the Last Airbender stuff that's been coming out. Gene Luen Yang authors them and he's just a great graphic novelist in his own right.

I wish I knew Manga well. I do know some stuff... but likely stuff she's already seen if she's into Manga at all.

farrarwilliams
06-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Fruits Basket is one that I know... but is it considered appropriate or not? The gender bending is certain weird.

Keiran'sMom
06-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Fruits Basket is one that I know... but is it considered appropriate or not? The gender bending is certain weird.

The girl dressing as a boy is easily explained and comes at the end. The one reverse situation could be a good chance to get into some Japanese cultural things. There is a well documented history of parents dressing boys as girls and the reasons behind it. There are modern cultural things like cosplay and clothing styles such as Visual Ki that could really be expanded upon to explain something that is a reoccurring theme in a lot of manga and anime. I guess it would depend on how comfotable mom is with the topic. That is why I mentioned it, each person has their own level of stern.

Solong
06-12-2014, 06:41 PM
The Hobbit! Primates (about Jane Goodall, Birute Galdikas and Diane Fossey)! Wrinkle In Time!

Has she seen 'Spirited Away' or 'Howl's Moving Castle'? Two really good films, which I've heard are also available as graphic novels.

KittyP
06-13-2014, 01:40 AM
If she likes fantasy you can try ElfQuest. It's long been out of print, but you can find the whole thing uploaded at ElfQuest.com (http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics3.html). Or if you're really lucky you might be able to find good copies on Amazon or Ebay, but they usually aren't cheap. As for manga...*cracks knuckles*

Azumanga Daioh
Ouran Host High Club (I haven't read the mangas, but it is along the lines of Fruits Basket in cutsie-ness)
Sailor Moon
Anything by CLAMP (Card Captor Sakura would be a good one to start since the main character is a 12 y.o. girl too)
Hana-kimi
Doubt!! (Exclamations are part of the title. Do NOT get Doubt, it's an anthropomorphic horror manga)
Shugo Chara
Fairy Idol Kanon
Big Adventures of Majoko
Magic Knight Rayearth
Hetalia (can be a bit offensive, all the nations are people who behave based on real national history and stereotypes. Actually pretty informative at times)
Yotsubato! (exclamation is part of the name)
Rumiko Takahashi's mangas are good, but she is pretty liberal with nudity in some of them
Hiraku no Go
Hunter X Hunter
I think Earthsea has been graphic noveled
D.N.Angel
Rurouni Kenshin

You can try looking up shoujo mangas and see if you like anything that pops up. I can think of quite a few more that I liked but in hindsight may not be the best to recommend without more knowledge of your criteria for appropriate. For example, I loved Ranma 1/2; it was funny, had great characters, and was full of made up martial arts. But it also had nudity and nonsexual groping since the main character changed from a boy to a girl in cold water. Usually at really awkward times, like in the middle of a fight.

murphs_mom
06-13-2014, 02:18 AM
I don't do manga or graphic novels myself, and I only read enough of DD's My Little Pony comic books to make sure there's nothing too 'off' in them. But, eons ago, when I was doing AmeriCorps, I volunteered to work w/"youth at risk" and one of the 11yo girls was heavily in to Sailor Moon. I wouldn't let my 8yo near Sailor Moon, but it was not too horrible for the late tween/early teen set. FWIW, the 11yo was more into drawing the characters than actually reading the material. I only bring her up because she told me that she was a part of a manga meetup group that the local library hosted on Saturday mornings. The kids would get together to share new books, read favorites, exchange drawing tips, and write fan fic. She loved that group.

Any chance you have something similar in your region? Also, our library has a fairly large manga/graphic novel section...the librarians here are always willing to offer up suggestions. Perhaps your library staff could assist you and your daughter? If they don't already have a youth manga group, perhaps they'd facilitate your daughter starting one? :)

banjobaby
06-13-2014, 10:41 AM
My seven year old loves PrinceLess.

skrink
06-13-2014, 11:00 AM
...I only bring her up because she told me that she was a part of a manga meetup group that the local library hosted on Saturday mornings. The kids would get together to share new books, read favorites, exchange drawing tips, and write fan fic. She loved that group.

Any chance you have something similar in your region? Also, our library has a fairly large manga/graphic novel section...the librarians here are always willing to offer up suggestions. Perhaps your library staff could assist you and your daughter? If they don't already have a youth manga group, perhaps they'd facilitate your daughter starting one? :)

Is there such a thing as Christian manga? If so, that's probably the only chance we'd have of making a real go of things here. :) It's a good idea and I will look into it. It may mean a drive but that's okay. There's a state university in a town about 25 miles north of here, and I'm sure our odds would be better there.

murphs_mom
06-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Is there such a thing as Christian manga?

Oh, why the hell not. I vote 'go for it'. You can have your daughter draw little denim frocks on the girls, crew cuts on the boys, and put wee little bibles in all their hands.

I think I need sleep. :_z: Been up all night. Things that should be an attempt at facetious are actually sounding like a good idea. Yup, need sleep.

KittyP
06-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Is there such a thing as Christian manga?

I know there are many with Christian themes, such as being centered in Catholic schools, etc., but I can't think of any that aren't for a more mature audience. I would laugh pretty hard if they showed up at a Christian-centric library, though. (example: Yami no Matsue is basically centered on a Christian afterlife, the 'angels' also tear out people's innards in a graphic two page spread pretty frequently. Or there's Earthian, which is about gay angels.) But if you don't mind digital formats there are several sites that do scans. I'll try to find the names of a few, I can't remember. Bonus points: if you want to teach her Japanese there are several sites that offer raw manga that has not been released in the states so you can translate them yourself. Many of them also have translators who do just that for fun and then post their work for download. They're called scanlations (scanned-translations) and they are free for the most part.

Haha, sorry, manga is a huge nerd love of mine. I get really into it, ignore me if I get too obsessive.

[Edit] Okay, I found quite a few free ones if you want. These are all view on website rather than download, but you can download a special reader (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fmd/) that lets you select the manga you want her to be able to read and export it so she can read it in that program instead. Fair warning, I've never actually used one so you might want to test drive it to see if there are adds or anything. Okay, here are the sites I found:

Read Manga Online,Read Free Manga Online, Read Free Manga at Ten Manga (http://www.tenmanga.com/)
Manga Here - Read English Manga Free Online. Manga is Here! (http://www.mangahere.co/)
Manga Directory Page 1 - Manga Fox (http://mangafox.me/directory/)
Manga Online | Read Manga | Free Manga | English Manga | Naruto Manga | One Piece Manga - GoodManga.Net (http://www.goodmanga.net/)
MangaPark : Read Free Manga Online! (http://mangapark.com/)
Batoto - Read Comics Online! (http://www.batoto.net/)
Manga List - AnimeA (http://manga.animea.net/browse.html)

Most of the offerings are non-licensed titles and I know several of them go through and remove as licenses are made. AnimeA is usually pretty good about keeping their on-site ads clean from what I've seen. Another, slightly iffier (legality wise) option is the Free Manga livejournal group (http://free-manga.livejournal.com/). The group only offers downloads, so no ads to worry about, but not everyone follows the licensing guidelines so you have to know what to look for. Kindle sometimes has free manga as well.

Hope these help!

Keiran'sMom
06-13-2014, 03:44 PM
I have not read any Japanese Manga that is Christian based, at least not in a way that would appeal to an American Christian audience. I am sure there are Christian graphic novels, you might want to check a store like Heaven amd Earth. If you are looking for something like this, then their will probably not be anything "appropriate" in the Japanese market. A lot of it has a either a lot of violence or more mature themes, good luck on your search!

skrink
06-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Oh, no one in this house has an appetite for Christian manga or graphic novels - it's just that I would expect that's what I'd find here if I started scratching under the surface a bit. :) We're in fundie land, and you have the best chance at finding something if a religious label has been attached to it. If there's a club devoted to something, the odds are excellent that it's Christian based.

Appropriate for us is not what you might think. Dd is on the spectrum and takes things seriously and very much to heart. She's squeamish about realistic violence, but when it's cartoon-y and not too graphic it doesn't bother her. She's not at all into romance or traditional "girl" stuff. Adult themed fiction generally doesn't hold her interest (and can inspire some wicked nightmares), but she's reading at an adult level and gets bored easily with material she deems "too little kid." It makes it challenging to keep up with her appetite for books. I like pushing her out of her comfort zone a bit, but I'm not into shoving her headlong into something she's not ready for. It can be a fine line.

Anywho... Thank you all so much for your recommendations. KittyP, you obviously have a true passion here. :) I will explore all of this with dd and see where we land. Thanks for sharing!

Tanaqui
07-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Another vote for Hereville, Amulet, and Rapunzel's Revenge. OMG, Rapunzel is the BEST of the best!

The girls also like the Amelia Rules series, although for some reason B&N doesn't stock it. And they read our copy of Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity to pieces.

amradiofairyland
07-07-2014, 01:21 PM
I second (third? fourth?) Bone, Hereville, Fruits Basket, Amulet, and Foiled. In addition to these, my daughter (8) also especially loves:

Graphic Novels:

Castle Waiting
Spiral Bound
Cursed Pirate Girl
The Oz series adapted by Eric Showalter (very faithful adaptations of the Baum novels--my daughter's read all fourteen of the original novels and all five of the currently released graphic novels, and gives me blow-by-blows of any differences!)
Clan Apis (science-y on bees)
The Sandwalk Adventures (fictional story of Darwin and mites living in his eyebrows)
Evolution by Jay Hosler
Zita the Space Girl (3 in this series)
all of the NF titles from The Center for Cartoon Studies (e.g. Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller)
Primates
the Flight collections (sort of short story collections of graphic tales)

Manga:

Cardcaptor Sakura
Angelic Layer (abelism warning, fyi--opened up a good discussion of that tendency in storytelling for us, though)
The Cat Returns
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds
Spirited Away
Swans in Space
The Big Adventures of Majoko

amradiofairyland
07-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Quick addend to my last post:

I should point out that, depending on whether or not you have religious views or background, and what they are, you may not care for certain books of Castle Waiting, as it features among its characters a group of bearded nuns, whose patron saint is a crucified bearded woman (even if you're not religious, this may sound too weird for a kids book, but I can only say that the entire series is very gentle, playful, and imaginative).

Also, not really the kind of thing I think anyone's looking for in this thread, but thought I'd mention that there's an interesting-looking series of free manga booklets on topics like "What is the Geomagnetic Field?" and "What is the Solar Wind?" put out by the Solar-Terrestrial Environment Laboratory of Nagoya University (Japan) available here: Public Outreach?Solar-Terrestrial Environment Laboratory, Nagoya University (http://www.stelab.nagoya-u.ac.jp/ste-www1/doce/outreach.html#anc_booklets). I've not read them all closely, but they seem pretty fun.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
07-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Love "Castle Waiting". Though some kids might find it boring compared to other graphic novels--not much action and a lot of boring grownup themes like community and acceptance. ;)

SimplyTheGoodLife
12-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Graphic Universe has a "Myths & Legends" series with stories from around the world throughout history. Here's a link to the series. My 10yo DD gets them from out local library and loves them! https://www.lernerbooks.com/products/s/s342/LB/series

skrink
12-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Recent favorite here is the Hilda series - Amazon.com: Luke Pearson: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle (http://smile.amazon.com/Luke-Pearson/e/B00699I45O/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1).

CrazyMom
01-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Elle loved Death Note, Maus, Princess Princess, and a whole bunch of other off-color, gender bending, intense and BIZARRE manga...including Absolute Boyfriend about a girl who sends away for a robotic boyfriend mail order. LOL.

If it was weird, kinky, and banned by parents...Elle loved it.

She turned out to be a shockingly sensible, sexually conservative young woman who does a awfully good job of navigating her romantic life with good judgment, compassion, and a sense of humor.

Sometimes I think sheltering kids does more harm than good. If they're going to have access (which they all do) they're going to read it all anyway. Why not keep it all out in the open where you can actually talk about themes, ideas, understand what's appealing, discuss consequences and give advice?

CrazyMom
01-01-2015, 11:01 PM
There's a wonderfully weird manga series (and anime series of the same name) that is a blend of folk legends, romance....and a really bizarre study of economics!!! called Spice and Wolf. Elle and I used to watch the anime together. Was pretty tame and shockingly interesting. I think she went as "Holo the Wolf Goddess" (a character from the series) for Halloween in eighth grade.

Mariam
03-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Here are some websites with graphic novel suggestions. Some of them look really good:

Comic Relief: Thirty-nine graphic novels that kids can?t resist | School Library Journal (http://www.slj.com/2011/07/collection-development/comic-relief-thirty-nine-graphic-novels-that-kids-cant-resist/#_)

http://www.ala.org/alsc/sites/ala.org.alsc/files/content/GraphicNovels_ReadList_3-5.pdf

skrink
03-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Here are some websites with graphic novel suggestions. Some of them look really good:

Comic Relief: Thirty-nine graphic novels that kids can?t resist | School Library Journal (http://www.slj.com/2011/07/collection-development/comic-relief-thirty-nine-graphic-novels-that-kids-cant-resist/#_)

http://www.ala.org/alsc/sites/ala.org.alsc/files/content/GraphicNovels_ReadList_3-5.pdf

Perfect timing! We usually fill her Easter basket with books, so I've been looking around for something new. :)

CrazyMom
03-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Elle used to love Manga in her Easter Basket too, Skrink. Awesome list Mariam!

We still threw in an Cadbury egg or two and popcorn flavor jelly beans....but she loved books and art supplies best:)

Riceball_Mommy
03-26-2015, 08:52 PM
I recently read In Real Life (http://www.amazon.com/Real-Life-Cory-Doctorow/dp/1596436581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427417375&sr=8-1&keywords=in+real+life) I really enjoyed it.