PDA

View Full Version : Hello from SE Virginia

orangepeel
03-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi,

I'm glad to have found this forum. I live in Hampton Roads Virginia with my two boys. At the beginning of our homeschool journey I was sad to find that I was the only person who using secular materials, but over the years I have been very lucky to not only to find 2 great secular coops but a lot of friends that also use a secular approach.

I am horrible at introductions but I wanted to say hello.

Jamisina
03-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Would you please pass on what you use. I was doing more of eccletic homeshooling a coule of years ago, but I need something more solid (just for more own sanity). I'm going back to homeschooling in the fall.

Welcome! I'm new here too!

Snoopy
03-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Welcome to SH and in the words of Napoleon Dynamite: "Lucky!"
From what I have read, it seems that homeschooling folks in Virginia have access to more local secular resources than those of us in the "Deep South". I love Virginia, it's so beautiful. I can't wait to go back and visit there!

paojava
03-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi there! I also live in VA! I have found that it is really hard to talk about curriculum with most of my mom friends. All three local HS groups in my area are religious. But, I chose to join the groups so we could make friends and get out. One of the groups is mostly based on field trips, but the other two have mom-meetings and there are always opening/closing prayers.

No, we aren't n the deep south or bible belt, but it sure seems the norm to conform.

Snoopy
03-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi Lexi,

Welcome to SH! I like how you listed your favorite curriculum resources in your siggie :)

I accept other people's beliefs but the opening/closing prayers would be a deal breaker for me, I have to say. I ended up starting my own group so that I don't have to deal with (or try to ignore) this.
In other news, did you get the recent email from HOAC about their super membership sale that's going on through the end of March? I'll post the info here if anyone is interested. HOAC is NOT a secular provider, although some of their materials are secular.

dbmamaz
03-13-2010, 04:17 PM
So .. .were any of you at the VA Homeschoolers conference today?! I was! (and i have the headache to prove it - now i remember why i'm a home-body)

orangepeel
03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I skipped the conference this year, a lot of the seminar topics were ones I have attended in the past.

Did you enjoy yourself (minus the headache)?

paojava
03-26-2010, 05:10 PM
yep, got the email from HOAC. Trying to decide now if I am doing another yearly or the forever one. LOL

About the groups--I am the only one subjected to the prayers--and only at the mom's meetings. I usually like the topics, so I choose to bow my head and check out my shoes or the handout or my notebook. If we had to do this for the field trips--it would certainly be another story!

And lastly--no--we didn't make it to the conference in Glen Allen. BUMMER! But, I remember thinking last year that it was sorta a waste of our time. I wasn't going to any of the talks, and all I really wanted to do was browse and buy. Guess I have to wait for HEAV in the summer.

MWest
05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Hi,

I'm glad to have found this forum. I live in Hampton Roads Virginia with my two boys. At the beginning of our homeschool journey I was sad to find that I was the only person who using secular materials, but over the years I have been very lucky to not only to find 2 great secular coops but a lot of friends that also use a secular approach.

I am horrible at introductions but I wanted to say hello.

I am in SE VA and looking into secular homeschooling for my 15 year old daughter. I don't know where to start when it comes to my options in this area. If you get this message, could you please share any websites or information for homeschooling curriculum and communities for our area that you know of? Thank you in advance.