PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Pennsylvania

Mamajake
08-31-2010, 09:56 AM
I have been homeschooling my three sons (16, 13 and 10) since my eldest was in second grade. While I live just outside of Philladelphia, none of the homeschool e-lists are truly inclusive. I am a left-wing atheist Jew and while I am open to relationships with all sorts of people who disagree with me on questions of faith and politics, I can't tolerate constantly being in groups and on lists where the Christian right wing voice overpowers all others.

Feeling sad and isolated. :(

Shoe
08-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the site Mamajake. I'm sure that you'll find this community a nice refuge, with a lot of information and support.

Cheers.

BPier12
08-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi and welcome, Mamajake! It's tough, isn't it, to feel like you are the only one in your community who is following a secular path. We're in the same boat. The "inclusive" group in our county opens and ends with a Christian prayer and that doesn't make me feel "included" so after one meeting, we knew it was not the group for us. We're slightly involved now with a couple of groups in an area about an hour north of us, but it is not the same as having people right there in your own community. Happily, this forum exists and I've gotten a great deal of support, comfort and information from the wonderful folks who participate here. I hope that you find that here for yourself as well! :)

garett
08-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Welcome Mamajake :)

We're new home-schoolers of older children (9 and 10) and joined the group because, like you, can't find any non-Christian support groups in our area.

Mamajake
08-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Exactly! Here "inclusive" means "we will tolerate your presence" not "everyone is respected." :(

garett
08-31-2010, 02:15 PM
We haven't even tried associating with any Christian "inclusive" groups yet. Not because we're prejudiced or assume that they will not respect our beliefs, but because a) as atheists we're worried that we might say something offensive unintentionally and b) we think we have a bit of "damage control" to do after 5 years of public education and we don't want to risk undermining our efforts by diving straight into the deep end head first with people who hold beliefs that are so opposite our own.

It's really unfortunate to hear of so many people having negative experiences here on the board.