PDA

View Full Version : Noises that strike terror in the heart of a mom

Wilma
08-29-2010, 11:57 PM
As I was in the bathroom late this afternoon, having finally changed out of my jammies and taken a shower, I was fixing my hair when I heard the back door open and my 2 older ones having this conversation.

"Oh my gosh, he is ugly!"
"Look! He's still alive! Look at what he is doing!"

It was a spider, at eye level, hanging just outside the glass door, with lovely markings and hair to make the Breck Girl jealous. But I thought they had brought a snake or something in the house. I wouldn't put it past them.

Noise #2.

I return to the bathroom, walking past the dog, who is lying contentedly on the floor. A couple of minutes later, I hear water hitting the carpet in my bedroom. Strange. The water is in here, in the bathroom. Is the roof leaking? No, it is bright and sunny. What could it...OMG! The dog is peeing on the floor!! So I rush out, telling him to stop it using any 4 letter word available, interrupting him mid-piddle, so he continues his business running out of the room.

So, I went back into the bathroom to finish fixing my hair, hoping dh will find the trail of dog urine when he gets back from gassing up the car, and I can act shocked. Because the rule in this house is, if you find Mac's business in the house first, you clean it up. But that won't work. Mac would only be outside if he needed to go, in which case, whose business can I say is on the floor? or if he got caught doing what he shouldn't do. Hubby would see easily through my ruse. So I did clean it up. I know how to use the steam cleaner; he doesn't.

BTW, our dog is house trained. He is just getting old.

amphibology29
08-30-2010, 12:49 AM
It's usually the lack of noises that strike fear into my heart!

I feel you on the dog pee, though. When I was in middle school our family dog was suffering from age-induced incontinence, and we had the same rule of "you find it, you clean it," so I always let my brother go in the door after school ahead of me, hoping he'd find the mess first.

JinxieFox
08-30-2010, 02:52 AM
Wow! What a day! I can totally relate. Sometimes you just hear a child utter a phrase or some random noise that is so terrifying, you can only stand in shock for a moment before responding.

schwartzkari
08-30-2010, 09:51 AM
We don't have a dog BUT we do have two cats. My older one goes to the bathroom on the floor. He is getting up there in age and is extremely lazy and has a temper. If he isn't fed at exactly the same time every day (which apparently is 3am) then he refuses to use his litterbox.

And the spider...I would die of a heart attack. Especially if it was hairy. Spiders make me cry!

inmom
08-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Occasionally, our cat likes to wolf down his food, walk about 5 feet away, then throw it all back up. We also have the "You see it, you clean it" rule. However, one day my son saw the mess, went to get a paper towel to clean it up, but upon his return, the cat had already eaten it again. They HAD called the cat "Snarfin Barfin." He's now "Snarfin Barfin Snarfin."

BPier12
08-30-2010, 10:59 AM
As I was in the bathroom late this afternoon, having finally changed out of my jammies and taken a shower, .

Glad I'm not the only one....;)

StartingOver
08-30-2010, 11:13 AM
The silence is terrifying for me too !

wild_destiny
08-30-2010, 12:07 PM
LMAO! Experience has taught me that if I interrupt an animal or young child that is midstream, I am going to have to deal with not just a puddle, but a puddle and a hard to find trail of urine. Thankfully, our animals and children are now beyond this!

Sarbare0704
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
. If he isn't fed at exactly the same time every day (which apparently is 3am) then he refuses to use his litterbox.

Ok this seriously made me LOL! Sorry though! That must really suck!

laundrycrisis
08-31-2010, 02:31 AM
ITA, the sounds of retching or pee splashing into the carpet are never a good sign !