PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Canada :)

garett
08-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Hello eh :)

We live in the most southern city in Ontario (right across the river from Detroit, MI). My wife and I have this year decided to withdraw our two daughters (grade 4 and 5) from public school and home-school them. We begin our great adventure in just over a week from now.

We've been in search of communities and support and found this forum. We don't live in a predominantly religious geographical area but there are not many home-schoolers here and the only local support groups we have been able to find are Christian.

I'm not really sure what else to say. I'm known for going into long, boring diatribes so I think I'm best cutting my intro here.

I look forward to chatting with many of you.

StartingOver
08-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Welcome Garett, I am glad you found us. And hope that you enjoy your time here as much as I have. We have a great group of folks !

camaro
08-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Cool, another Canadian! We're a little further west than you, Garett, but face much the same situation. This place has been a wonderful replacement for real-world support. I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here when you need it and have a little fun, too!

InstinctiveMom
08-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi Garett! Welcome. Don't worry - we enjoy long posts - well, I do anyway. CHeers!
~h

BPier12
08-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Welcome! The only homeschooling group in our county is very Christian (although they say they are inclusive...don't believe it!) so we are in a similar situation. This forum has been a huge source of common sense and support and I hope that you find that for yourself here as well. My husband is a big Ayn Rand fan. He would like your signature quote!

garett
08-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the welcomes everyone :)

@Beth: Yeah we also have at least one group here that claims to be inclusive. But not only would I be very nervous about myself or my daughters unintentionally saying anything that might offend, we are also at a precarious point with our daughters education. We figure in a year or two we should have a good idea of where our daughters are "at", intellectually. Until then we don't want to risk undermining our task at hand -- which is teaching our daughters the virtue of reason and how to use it.

Shoe
08-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Welcome garett. I grew up in Ontario, but the eastern part, and never spent much time in Windsor, though I used to have a few friends there (seems like eons ago). I'm sure you'll find this a great place to hang out and get information and support.

Cheers.

Sarbare0704
08-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Welcome to the group! Great to have you here!

Topsy
08-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Welcome to SHS, garett!! Thanks for introducing yourself. Feel free to diatribe anytime. ;) We do have a group for Canadian homeschoolers (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=6)you might want to check out - - it is definitely one of our fastest growing ones! We look forward to getting to know you better. Best of luck with the new school year!!

Sarah Camphouse
08-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the group!!!