PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Detroit, Michigan!!!

Gmom
08-28-2010, 06:35 AM
Hi! This will be my first year homeschooling my 1st, 3rd and 5th grader. I'm originally from Detroit but I moved to Ann Arbor when I graduated from high school to attend college. Now I'm back in my native city with my three kids and husband in tow. I'm having the most difficult time adjusting but things are getting better everyday. For this academic year I'm using the Michigan Virtual Academy. I'm kind of nervous about homeschooling through a Charter but over the summer I've pieced together my own curriculum just in case I find that it isn't a good fit for us. I still have not found a support group or co-op in Detroit, I was starting to think I was going to have to go it alone. I'm so glad I found this site. :D

Topsy
08-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Welcome to the site, Gmom!! It's ironic that you say you are from Detroit, because I was JUST looking for a secular homeschooling parent from Detroit a week or so ago to do an interview for the Detroit Free Press. I never could get any takers. ;) Here is the article (http://www.freep.com/article/20100823/NEWS06/8230327/More-resources-and-support-help-metro-homeschoolers-go-mainstream) though, in case you hadn't seen it. I don't know of any groups right in Detroit, but I am aware of one MeetUp that is just outside it. The link: FUiH (http://www.meetup.com/Families-United-in-Homeschooling/). I hope you will either be able to locate a secular/inclusive support group, or maybe even create your own. :) Glad you are here!!

Shoe
08-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Welcome to the site, Gmom! This is a great place for support and information, so hopefully you'll feel at home and get as much from it as I do.

Cheers.

SherryZoned
08-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Welcome!

This is my first year also. I am in Arlington, TX but spent 14 years in Michigan. I have lived in Livonia, Plymouth, Taylor and I still have a sister in Redford.

pandahoneybee
08-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Glad to have ya here;) Feel free to use us as a online support group! I think that there might be a couple of others from MI on here so make sure to check out the MI group! Don't be nervous about your first year, we all were there at one point and made it thru;)

Sarbare0704
08-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Welcome to the group! Great to have you here! I am also starting our first year of homeschooling this year! I have found this site to be amazing!

StartingOver
08-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome Gmom, we are glad you found us. I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I have. Although I warn it can be a bit addicting. ;-)

Suzakin
08-29-2010, 05:40 PM
GMom! My first year too - here in Northville Michigan. Only have one son left at home but it just seemed with the state of public education this coming year - now was the time to do it. Facing LOTS of opposition, his dad, my parents etc. But I can't fail my son because of pressure from others who are too afraid to do the right thing!!

taichimom
09-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Hi Gmom,

We're in Ann Arbor, moved here from Portland, OR for husband's post-doc, and really like it here. This is only our second year home schooling, am really looking forward to hearing from you and others some more. This site has been very informative.

taichimom
09-09-2010, 12:10 PM
I have a question about the MI virtual academy, should I start a thread in the MI group? It's whether you have to teach all of the curriculum, as is, Or whether you can omit or individualize at all. Question came up on our AA (Ann Arbor) group board

brandytab
09-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi Gmom! I'm trying to private message you but cannot figure out how. We are moving to the Detroit area very soon (by Christmas - the husband is transferred) and will most likely be homeschooling. My children are in 1st, 4th and 5th, so I thought I'd say hello considering our children are nearly the same age, and I will be using the online public school also! I will be new to homeschooling and would love to meet other secular HSing parents in the area ahead of our move.

Brandy :)

Shoe
09-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Hi Gmom! I'm trying to private message you but cannot figure out how...

Brandy :)Brandy, to use the private message feature, click on the user name of the person to whom you want to send a message to access their profile. On the left hand side, below their name, is the option to "Send Private Message", just below the name, photo, "Add as Friend". Click on that, type your message and send it. Fait accomplie.

StartingOver
09-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Shoe isn't there a time, or posts count before you can send a private message ? Three posts maybe ?

Shoe
09-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Shoe isn't there a time, or posts count before you can send a private message ? Three posts maybe ?

Oh, you're probably right. I think that when you're posts are still moderated, you can't send PMs. But Topsy would have the official answer. I forgot about that.

StartingOver
09-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Oh, you're probably right. I think that when you're posts are still moderated, you can't send PMs. But Topsy would have the official answer. I forgot about that.

I don't remember exactly. But I do remember someone else bringing it up. ;-)

brandytab
09-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Brandy, to use the private message feature, click on the user name of the person to whom you want to send a message to access their profile. On the left hand side, below their name, is the option to "Send Private Message", just below the name, photo, "Add as Friend". Click on that, type your message and send it. Fait accomplie.
Yes, that's exactly what I tried - but it must be the post count. :) Thank you though! I'll write my own intro now...

taichimom
09-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Gmom,
I'm not sure where the original thread was, about you possibly coming to the Ann Arbor group. I've sent a message out to someone on the Board, to see if we're full, just waiting to hear back. I think in October (people are out of town, or have high holidays and ramadan, eid, etc.), the unschoolers group will start meeting again, they're much more informal, I can private message you when we have our next meeting.
Diana