PDA

View Full Version : Hello from South Carolina

aimeejoe
03-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Hello all;

I am so pleased that we have this site. We are secular homeschoolers and we are very alone. If there is anyone else in Columbia SC, please make yourself known. We are desperate to find a group that we can feel comfortable talking about anything. I have been involved with some of the groups in the area, however, I feel so out of place amongst them because they are often talking about teaching creationism as science and well I can't keep my stupid mouth shut and listen politely when they start talking about this. Most of them, though they call themselves all inclusive, they are not and they are really a group of folks who are mostly christian and while I do not have a problem with their beliefs I do have a problem hanging with them. Their constant referral to God and all that gets to be old and I have to be polite and not say anything lest I should offend someone. Frankly I am getting tired of keeping my mouth shut but I don't want crosses to be burnt on my front lawn or worse have them come and pray outside my house. :cool:

It also makes my children feel uncomfortable because they don't know what to say to these kids and they have nothing in common. Am I whining too much! I just feel so alone.

Jamisina
03-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Hello! I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Even though I'm a Christian, your complaints are the same as mine! I'm that kind of person that likes to keep my faith personal-hence one of the reasons I left the homeschool group here. I can't keep my mouth shut either-especially when to comes to 'creationism.' I like sceince and all the tangibles it has to offer.;-)

Snoopy
03-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Hi AimeeJo,
I'm not in SC, sorry! I'm glad you found this group and hopefully other people from your area will show up here too. If you want to get the SC group started, it's at http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=36

my3monkeys
04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi AimeeJo. We are not in SC, but we do come down occasionally to go to the zoo. Would love to meet up with you!

Topsy
04-12-2010, 09:25 PM
SO sorry, AimeeJoe!! Boy do I know exactly how you feel, though. Until I finally found our little inclusive group, I had begun to believe that there were literally no other secular homeschoolers within a 100-mile radius of me! :p

Do you belong to this Yahoo Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SC_secular_homeschooling/)? If not, you might want to join and put a shout-out there just like you did here. (oh, and of course, put in a plug for this site while you are there!! ;))

I'm like my3monkeys...if we are ever on a Riverbanks day trip, we'll give you a head's up!!!

Shoe
04-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Welcome aimeejoe.

Good luck with your search for a secular group. This site has been great for me. I look forward to knowing you better. I love your profile picture of the galaxy...this site gives a different astronomical picture every day (some of which are really incredible), if you like astronomy...Astronomy Picture of the Day (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html)

Dana
05-26-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm another from the Midlands of SC.

I homeschool my 7 yo son. We school year-round and are about to start 3rd grade after taking May off (it clearly wasn't a long enough break!). We started homeschooling due to serious food allergies and really like it overall.

For those of you pondering a trip to Riverbanks, we're about to get a walk-through kangaroo exhibit!

AimeeJoe, I'm in REACH for a support group. It's pretty diverse and inclusive. I've always felt comfortable and haven't felt like I had to bite my tongue.
Feel free to contact me to get together sometime.

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Welcome Dana :)

StartingOver
05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I know it doesn't help much, but you aren't alone. I am alone here in TX too. I am tired of being in the middle of the bible belt. Hopefully you will find others to talk to here.

I know with my older children we did World Religion studies, so my children would know more so how to get along with others. It was still hard on them. In the end this Pagan mother has a Buddhist, a Baptist, and a Pagan ( at least for the older kids ). Who knows what path the youngers will take.

BPier12
05-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi aimeejoe! There are days when I think that it would be so nice if the great folks on this forum all lived in the same state so that we could arrange some get togethers! I definitely feel your pain. The only homeschooling group in our town is Judeo-Christian based, and while the group claims to be inclusive, it does not really feel that way. Granted, I've only been to one meeting and I'm willing to give it a try again, but it is not the same as having a group where you know that it is o.k. to be yourself and not have to keep silent for fear of offending the majority of the people there. Hang in there and keep posting here!

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 11:56 PM
There are days when I think that it would be so nice if the great folks on this forum all lived in the same state so that we could arrange some get togethers! Beth, you know, you and I aren't that far from one another (about 2 hrs and 15 min). If you're around in July, I'll have tons of time for a little trip down your way. I wonder if there's something interesting about halfway where we can meet... Hmm, looking at the map, it looks like there's a whole lot of nothing between us, unless we meet on the coast somewhere North of you. I'll have to research what's in Satellite Beach... LMK!

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 07:57 AM
I know it doesn't help much, but you aren't alone. I am alone here in TX too. I am tired of being in the middle of the bible belt. Hopefully you will find others to talk to here.

I know with my older children we did World Religion studies, so my children would know more so how to get along with others. It was still hard on them. In the end this Pagan mother has a Buddhist, a Baptist, and a Pagan ( at least for the older kids ). Who knows what path the youngers will take.

Hi Jana~
Did you check out the hs groups on the resource ([URL="http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State") page? I know what you are talking about my boys are still surrounded by religious people on alot of the field trips that we take at the museums etc. here in NC.
Maybe you should put a shout out like Topsy did and see if you can't find some other homeschoolers in your area that are frustrated like you? here are a couple i found 1 (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DFWSaFE-Teens/) 2 (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TWTM_Secular_Homeschoolers/) but your best bet is to start your own;) I would guarantee that their are others out there like you!

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Hello all;

I am so pleased that we have this site. We are secular homeschoolers and we are very alone. If there is anyone else in Columbia SC, please make yourself known. We are desperate to find a group that we can feel comfortable talking about anything. I have been involved with some of the groups in the area, however, I feel so out of place amongst them because they are often talking about teaching creationism as science and well I can't keep my stupid mouth shut and listen politely when they start talking about this. Most of them, though they call themselves all inclusive, they are not and they are really a group of folks who are mostly christian and while I do not have a problem with their beliefs I do have a problem hanging with them. Their constant referral to God and all that gets to be old and I have to be polite and not say anything lest I should offend someone. Frankly I am getting tired of keeping my mouth shut but I don't want crosses to be burnt on my front lawn or worse have them come and pray outside my house. :cool:

It also makes my children feel uncomfortable because they don't know what to say to these kids and they have nothing in common. Am I whining too much! I just feel so alone.

HI Aimeejoe~

Have you been able to find a group yet? It would be so hard to be to have to be able to keep my mouth shut when people start talking about "creationism". we are in a secular group with about half being religious the other half is like me! And my half can be very vocal about our ideas especially if they go down that line of "discussing". I think if you haven't found any by now you should put it out there on Yahoo, even if you only have one or two at first the word will spread. But we can be here for ya too;)

BPier12
05-28-2010, 11:01 AM
:D
Beth, you know, you and I aren't that far from one another (about 2 hrs and 15 min). If you're around in July, I'll have tons of time for a little trip down your way. I wonder if there's something interesting about halfway where we can meet... Hmm, looking at the map, it looks like there's a whole lot of nothing between us, unless we meet on the coast somewhere North of you. I'll have to research what's in Satellite Beach... LMK!

I'll PM you about this!

firefly
06-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi aimeejoe,

I lived in Irmo for about 17 years (I'm now in NC) and I feel your deep southern pain! All I can say is keep trying. Believe it or not you might find some connections in the Unitarian Universalist Church. My freethinker (athiest) group used to meet at a UU church. Crazy huh? I went to a few events at the church and met more athiests, pagans, christians, jews - everyone was decent and tollerant. Although I would never be a "member", I still visit several UU's and have made lifelong friends. I wish you all the best!