PDA

View Full Version : hello from michigan

shari7359
08-27-2010, 09:05 PM
hi, my name is shari and I am new to this site and new to homeschooling ( I am homeschooling my 5th grader) anyone familiar with the michigan virtual charter academy? I am both excited and nervous about homeschooling and hope things will go well :)

Shoe
08-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Welcome to the site, Shari! I can certainly relate to being " both excited and nervous about homeschooling" and I'm sure things will go well. This community is a great resource for information and support.

Cheers.

InstinctiveMom
08-28-2010, 01:13 AM
Hi Shari!
Welcome to the forums :)
I'm in Texas, so not much help there, but I'm sure you'll find someone close(ish) to you!
Looking forward to reading you posts.
Warmly,
~h

Gmom
08-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Hi. I'm also new to the site. I'm homeschooling my 1st grader, 3rd grader and 5th grader. This is my first year homeschooling and I'm having those same feelings. Most days I'm excited and can't wait to get started but every now and then fear strikes me. I enrolled my children in the Michigan Virtual Academy for this academic year, I'm very nervous about it though because I've been getting mixed reviews from people. *Fingers crossed*

Topsy
08-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Welcome to the site, Shari! It is great to have you here. How cool that we have two new members from MI and you are both using Michigan Virtual Academy. I hope you will let it know how it works for you. If you haven't already, be sure to join our MI group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=69) to find other folks near you! I look forward to getting to know you better...

pandahoneybee
08-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Welcome;) That first year was scary and fun so just sit back and try to relax! I didn't so the first half was nerve racking trying to get too much done. Make sure that you check in regularly and let us know how you are doing or if you have any questions;0)

StartingOver
08-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Welcome Shari !

Suzakin
08-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Shari! I am new to homeschooling too, just like you and GMom. I am in Northville Michigan! I looked at the Michigan Virtual Academy but decided on an alternate route. My 12 yo son 'should be' entering the 7th grade. However, I was so disillusioned with the state of public schools and attitudes that I decided to pull him out. I have since discovered his ELA skills are only through early fifth grade. So we are going to concentrate solely on ELA skills until he is a little more progressed. Then we are adding math through Sylvan, and will approach history and then science. I figure a little at a time would be better for both of us until we got it down. My biggest worry is that I work full time and he will be on his own a lot. We'll work through that though, like we always do. Good luck and keep in touch. Remember, if MVA doesn't work there are MANY alternatives.

taichimom
09-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Hello!

I'm new to the site too, and have only been home schooling a year. And hope to hear more about your experience with MI's virtual charter academy. I'm in Michigan too: AA!

Diana