PDA

View Full Version : How many activities are your DC involved in?

QueenBee
08-27-2010, 08:50 PM
I have four DD - 6, 7, 8 and 10. I don't feel like we do a ton, but when I start to break it down it begins to look like we're very busy (we are always busy, but I mean 'too busy'). I'm curious about how other homeschool families handle the delicate balance between too few and too much. And what exactly gets included in the tally - for example, my kids go to as many library programs as are offered at the local branch. I usually forget to count that into our activities, but it should be in there. I'm not including RE classes (we go to a UU fellowship), but my kids value those and the time with friends, plus it affects our schedule ... oh well.

Here's what we're doing this year:

American Girl Club (once a month)
Lego Club (once a month)
Roller Skating (once a month)
Girl Scouts (twice a month)
Private music lessons (weekly)
Swim team (2x per week)
Library programs (usually 2-3 per month)
Drama class for homeschoolers (1x per week, runs for 8 weeks)
Attending various performing arts productions (3x in the fall, 3x in the spring)

Initially I was going to sign them up for some homeschool classes at the local community college (fun stuff like art, etc.), but I felt it would be too much. I feel like my above list isn't crazy full, but when I look at my calendar I feel swamped because of course there are all the other "life" things that go into our weeks...

Curious to see what other are doing and how they're feeling about it!

Teri
08-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Our regular classes look like this:
Sunday: Chinese School (for C)
Monday: German Dancing (all 3)
Tuesday: Piano (L and C); Girl Scouts (L and C)
Wednesday: Percussion (J)
Thursday: Co-op (all day, all of us)
Friday: Cub Scouts (J)

Those are all weekly, but German Dancing and Percussion are both in the evenings and don't mess up the day. Oh, Cub Scouts will probably not be weekly.
We also do homeschool events at science, history and art museums that end up being about once per month or so. We also do Dallas Children's Theater about one time per month.
After 4x week driving to Dallas for Libby's Dyslexia class for two years, this schedule seems like a breeze. ;)

farrarwilliams
08-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Too many?

This year, we've got:
- soccer 1x a week in the fall
- ballet 1x a week for one kid, drums 1x a week for the other
- art class 1x a week
- Destination Imagination team 1x a week
- co-op group 1x a week
- other co-op group 1x a week
- theater class 1x a week
- t-ball 2x a week in the spring

Why do they call it homeschool when we're never at home?

camaro
08-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Our boys do gymnastics once a week through a fall session and a spring session. We might do swimming lessons once a week through roughly the same schedule if the hs group offers it again. Come spring if there's enough kids they'll be in baseball again which is a couple of times a week through May and June. It's enough for us considering the amount of driving to different towns and cities to do it all.

StartingOver
08-27-2010, 10:37 PM
I have never done co-ops, language classes, or art classes. We will do tons of field trips, and camps like with the museums or aquariums in the area. Mine get one music and one sport class per year if they want. Emma will start dance next year, and Quince will start martial arts. They have no interest in musical instruments yet. Historically our family is more into sporty things, nature, and community service. That is enough for me !

Busygoddess
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
The kids are each allowed 1 long-term extracurricular activity at a time. With hubby taking the only running car to work, and having to fit in errands, weekly library trips, and regular therapist & psychiatrist appointments, one each is all we have time for. I do sign them up for short-term & single session activities whenever we can. Their regular academics always take top priority, though & we will cancel any & all extracurriculars if they slack and the quality of their work or level of effort drops.
We aren't part of a co-op or support group, it's just not our thing. We've tried to get involved in bookclubs, but it's difficult to find bookclubs for kids that are reading as high above grade level as mine. We tried 4-H, but found that wasn't for us. We've tried some sports, too. The kids enjoy sports, but not on an actual team - they prefer playing them at the park or in the yard with friends.
We're at the library weekly, but rarely ever do any of the library programs. They just don't have many that interest the kids. We have local museums that have short-term or one day classes - an Art Museum, Natural History Museum, and a Science Museum. We try to sign up for several of those each year. We also try to attend special events held by the museums. I've thought about signing them up for classes at the Community College, but the kids haven't been interested in any of the offered classes.

happykid25
08-28-2010, 12:07 AM
My son is 4 and we are just going to be starting doing some "structured" schooling this year, but very little (definately less than 1 hour per day). Anyway, our schedule this fall will include the following (these are all once a week):

Library Storytime (we've been going to the age appropriate program for him since he was 10 months old)
Swim Lessons (8 weeks)
Tumbling (8 weeks)
Nature Class (6 weeks)
Explorations: Play (12 weeks) - a free play class I have a hard time describing

Optionals: (drop-in classes no sign up or commitment required)
Homeschool Fitness - held weekly and is free play in the rec centers gym
Magic School Bus - a little science lesson each week through the Children's Museum

Undecided:
Art Class - through the parks & rec program
Sports/Play Class - through the local university (we did this in the spring and reminded me of what you would do in a public school gym class)

In the past my son has also participated in basketball & tennis (5-6 weeks/1 day per week) and in an art class through a local studio (which was great and unfortunately had to close its business - I had really hoped that my son would be able to go there for years to come.) We also were in a music & movement class for several sessions, but my son claimed it was "too music-y."

It sounds like a lot, but my son (an extrovert) loves to get out and about and meet and talk to people. He always gets a say in what we sign up for, except for Library & Swimming - both are a must in our house. Plus, as we don't have a whole lot of schooling to do yet, we can use our time for the extracurricular stuff.

ColourfulThreads
08-28-2010, 12:13 AM
We do karate and piano once a week. We will do swimming once a week for ten weeks this fall. My oldest will be taking acting classes this year (1x/wk), but that's about it. We sign up for the occasional field trip. We belong to living history, so we have few events for that but it's family time and we also volunteer twice a month as a family at a community outreach program. We do plan lots of special type events to have with family and friends - movie nights, swimming night, bookclubs, etc. but those happen when we want them to are more like a party than anything "educational". Too much on the schedule really seems to stress our family life. We are very laid back people and like to take things slow and easy.

Jennifer

Shoe
08-28-2010, 12:49 AM
My kids do very little formal activities...they will be re-starting Tae Kwon Do this fall, and both will be taking private music lessons. They usually attend a summer camp, but family issues got in the way this year. They also like to attend the public school dances, and of course, they visit with friends several times a week. That's it for us at this point.

InstinctiveMom
08-28-2010, 01:06 AM
We tried formal classes when the boys were in school and they didn't enjoy them enough (we tried TKD one year and dance the next) to stick with them in relation to the amount of money we were paying for the classes, so we dropped them.

We're active with our homeschool group, which has about 1 activity per week (we'll probably bump it up to 2x once we all get started with school this month). We do the library once per week and we do the free kids workshops at Lowe's & Home Depot on Saturdays. We've considered scouting, but Boy scouts is too... militant for our personal beliefs and there's not a spiral scouts here. Our group has tossed around the idea of an "Adventure Club" type thing (similar to scouting), but we haven't gotten that together yet.

We're good though. Since the kids don't want to do classes, we haven't yet. PeaGreen has expressed interest in drums, so that may be in our future, and we're getting my grandmother's piano soon, so we may try to do lessons once it's moved.
~h

MamaB2C
08-28-2010, 08:59 AM
My son is 4. As of Monday his activities include
TaeKwonDo twice a week
Dance and gymnastics once a week (back to back classes on the same night saved a bundle!)
Sea Turtle conservation (time for hatching!)

Our team leader with the sea turtle program (who is an ecologist) runs the nature center at the local state park, and has asked for us to bring DS there to visit and learn more because he is so interested. I am going to talk with her about volunteering, or some kind of regular lessons.

After the New Year when he is 5 I plan to look into 4H and the homeschool PE class at the YMCA, as well as soccer if he's interested

Wilma
08-28-2010, 12:42 PM
My girls are 14, 12 and 10. The 2 younger ones swim every week night. The oldest does fencing twice a week, although she may swap that for martial arts every night. I am just feeling too stretched both time wise and financially, so we gave the girls the option of what one activity they wanted to do. So we have dropped piano. We also have co-op on Fridays and I teach an algebra class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

ESNQueen
08-28-2010, 02:22 PM
We'll be going to park day on occasion, and I think we're going to do a homeschool bowling league. That's all we can afford. Oh, and girl scouts, but our troop meets randomly.

laundrycrisis
08-28-2010, 02:56 PM
We were waaaay too busy last year. This is my year of cutting back. I've eliminated a weekly gymnastics class, and park district classes that were two days a week. I've also decided to limit our playdates because we need more time at home to just do school in a more relaxed way that allows more concentration.

What's left for DS1 is weekly vision therapy, a weekly session with a reading tutor, and a weekly violin lesson. He is also in a soccer program that is only two months long and has a weekly evening practice and a game every Saturday, and in the spring he (and possibly DS2) will be in a baseball program that is intense and time-consuming, but is only for 2.5 months. I've considered getting into an evening 4H Cloverbuds group but I think I'm going to skip that. I like not being too busy, and having the flexibility to participate in homeschool meetup group activities that are scheduled sporadically.

elkhollow
08-28-2010, 08:14 PM
I'll admit to feeling a bit envious of the opportunities some of you have! Since we moved from Fort Worth to here we have had to adjust to not having many options. Not good ones, anyway. DD LOVED zoo school in Fort Worth and we were planning to also enroll her in Saturday science classes at the museum there but then we tranferred. Here there is an art, music, and drama class for homeschoolers, which is taught by very talented people, but it's an hour's drive from here and is very expensive (over $100 per month). There are some dance and gymnastics offerings here but DD is just not the athletic type-she wants the zoo/science and drama type activities. The only science center here is 45 minutes away and the classes were boring-she tried them and they were AWFUL. After one day of a week-long science camp she said, "Mommy, do I have to go back? All we did is make planets out of play-doh." She was in Daisy scouts last year but all they did was color-she hated it and asked me not to make her go, so I didn't. We switched to a different troop for Brownies this year and I'm hoping for some signs of life. The only other social activity in our town is Awana (it's like Vacation Bible School/Sunday School once a week in the evening. No thanks). Sorry to vent, I'm just very disappointed and frustrated with our situation here and wanting very desperately to go back to civilization.
Do any of you have a similar situation? What do you do?

kohlby
08-28-2010, 08:39 PM
My oldest is 7. He'll take two month long drama sessions likely this year. He does scouts. He'll do soccer in the fall and the spring. And that's it. (Except for the free kids PE classes at the gym, but I only make him do those if it's not soccer season).

My second child is 4. She will do soccer in the fall and softball in the spring. She'll do dance in the winter and spring. She does the kids PE classes usually twice a week. (Unlike my oldest, she begs to go). She has speech therapy once a week. (My oldest graduated from speech therapy finally - yay!)

I think my kids have the perfect number of activities for them. The issue that I run into is that sometimes it feels like too much to me in the spring. The way their spring sports were set up, we had to rush and didn't get to eat dinner as a family nearly as often as usual.

mommykicksbutt
08-29-2010, 07:18 AM
13 y.o DS does:
Karate 2-3 X/wk
Works out in the gym 6 X/wk with his dad
4-H Science and Technologie club 1 X/wk
Piano lessons 1x/wk
Youth Choral 1x/wk
Homeschool group 1x/mo
Plus he likes to "hang" at the local youth club and skate park with his friends.

Ed Ditto
08-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Not as much as some people here, but still a good bit. For a six year-old:

-Weekly horse riding lessons
-A weekly 3.5-hour "homeschool class" at the YMCA
-Weekly violin lessons
-Ballet/gymnastics as possible
-Various play dates
-Two times two hours a week in the "playroom" with other kids at the Y while my wife and I work out.

MamaB2C
08-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Sorry to vent, I'm just very disappointed and frustrated with our situation here and wanting very desperately to go back to civilization.

Having moved from Las Vegas to semi-rural AL, I feel you. Luckily DS has never lived anyplace else, so doesn't know any different.

The key is finding things that are available, that you might not had even considered previously. 4H, for example. I considered it nothing but raising cows (that's what it was when I was a kid in Colorado), but here they do drama and science and I look forward to DS being able to participate.

As someone else mentioned, we have to be cost conscious, and can't afford more than what we are doing, so am keeping my eye out for free and low cost opportunities...the sea turtle program has been awesome. Also, in lieu of regular gifts, some family members have chipped in for activities. Two of his 3 swim lesson sessions were gifts from grandparents, for example.

garett
08-29-2010, 01:38 PM
We have two daughters and are still figuring everything out but so far we've got:

Piano lessons (once a week)
Dance lessons (twice a week - Jazz on Tues. Ballet on )
Vocal lessons (once a week)

We're still trying to find more but we're getting strapped for cash, so we're looking for really cheap (or better yet, free) activities that they can do routinely. Our one daughter wanted to take art classes but gave it up so she could do Jazz dance with her sister along with ballet. They were in Taekwondo last year but decided to drop it so they could focus on dance.

QueenBee
08-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Sorry to vent, I'm just very disappointed and frustrated with our situation here and wanting very desperately to go back to civilization.

I understand - we lived in a bustling area with tons of opportunities prior to here. I agree with the other poster about looking at activities that may have hidden promise. I feel your pain on the nature and science centers - we are at least an hour from anything like that. Two years ago I tried doing a 40 minute drive to art appreciation at an art museum. The classes were fine, but I learned a valuable lesson - at the time my oldest was 8 (and my other three were 6, 5 and 4). Waaaaay too little to drive so far for something that is nice, but not essential. Not to mention expensive.

I re-vamped and we narrowed our range. I now only drive that far for once-in-a-while stuff (special day at the science center, etc.). We started doing things in traditional after-school hours (like swim team, girl scouts) and take advantage of library programs. Our library is tiny, but the programs are great. I know a lot of people that do 4-H. We don't, but that's b/c of me (I'm a vegan and I just can't get past some things).

And ... there's always the option of starting something yourself. It's more work, but you can create it the way you want it to be. A friend and I just started a homeschool American Girl Doll Club. I tried starting a co-op a few years ago but it just wasn't the right timing.

I would recommend looking at the local YMCA (if there is one) or similar for a team or dance program or something; library programs; one gal here started a lego club that meets once a month; another started a rollerskating group that does the same; if there isn't something like that near you, you could easily pick a day that fits into your schedule and just email your local homeschool list with a "hey, we'll be here every month on the 2nd Tuesday" or whatever for any activity you guys are interested in (park days, rent the library for board game day, etc.).

But - I know that's not the same as having the kinds of opportunities living in/near a bigger city provides. Sigh. I sometimes dream about moving just for that reason! Hang in there and let us know how it goes!!

QueenBee
08-29-2010, 06:47 PM
The 2 younger ones swim every week night ... I am just feeling too stretched both time wise and financially, so we gave the girls the option of what one activity they wanted to do. So we have dropped piano...

Oh my - we had swim team like that last year. This year I decided NO. We are cutting back to 2 nights a week max (my girls are much younger than yours so it was overkill last year - hence we're switching to a new swim team w/a different philosophy). If my oldest is placed in a higher lane we'll have to figure it out (maybe my dh can take her to the 3rd practice on Sat. at 6am, lol). And I almost want to drop piano/violin for the same reasons. I feel like it's good for them to learn an instrument - but holy cow the cost of having all four in private music lessons is killing us. All of my income from my part-time job goes to pay for it. Plus it means we're there for 2 hours as they each have a 1/2-hour lesson. I want to stab my eyes out with a spoon at the end of that time.
Trying to gauge if it's really worth it...

Karenwith4
08-29-2010, 07:21 PM
We have a lot on the go. I try to limit it to 2 or 3 per kid unless they are things we all do together.
As a family we go to a UU congregation, we have a long standing family enrichment weekly co-op, an art co-op and a volunteering/social justice co-op. We also attend regular programming at our local nature centre.

This is in addition to:
DS1 - curling, fencing, Technology club/Lego Mindstorms competition, City Youth Council, UU youth group,
DD1 - hockey, curling, lego club
DS2 - hockey, chess, lego club
DD2 - hockey, choir, curling

it's feeling a bit overwhelming at the moment.

Karen

amphibology29
08-30-2010, 12:00 AM
We're on a budget and my kids are too young for many activities, but both did gymnastics in the spring (Sakura's class was parent-assisted, since she's so young) and loved it. We're taking the fall session off since I am not up for parent-assisted classes in late pregnancy and with a newborn, but we'll sign them back up for the winter session.

Melyssa
08-30-2010, 02:48 AM
We've always done on average 3 classes per week for a long time. My daughter is almost 11 and this fall she has piano, French, and science class once weekly, and then Girl Scouts every other Sunday.

dottieanna29
08-30-2010, 09:03 PM
We are just now starting classes with my younger kids. DS is doing town rec soccer which is 2x per week - one practice and one game (although at this age they don't keep score). Both younger kids are doing a homeschool gymnastics class which is once a week - both of them at the same time.

My oldest has been a competitive dancer for 12 years. Some years she did more, some less but this year she is at the studio Monday through Thursday nights (4pm to 9pm - although some of this includes work since she's just been hired by the studio) and Saturday afternoons. She is also a cheerleader (Captain this year and next) and has practices after school 2-3 times a week and games on Friday night or Saturday afternoon. She graduates in 2 years and I'm really hoping to NOT have this kind of schedule with either of the younger ones.

elkhollow
08-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks for those responses. I'm feeling a little better now. I took my dd to her first Brownie meeting tonight and things went so very well. We switched troops bc last year her troop was very inactive. This one shows great promise. She made a friend right away and it was wonderful to see her so happy.

WendyW
09-13-2010, 03:14 PM
DS does :

history classes (5X week)
karate (4X week)
swimming (1X week)
lego club (1X week)
cubs (1X week)
nordic skiing (1X week from January till thaw)
library book club (1X week)

In the summer, we only do library programs and karate, since between travel and summer camps, there's no point in trying to fit in other stuff.

hockeymom
09-14-2010, 05:29 AM
I'll admit to feeling a bit envious of the opportunities some of you have! ... Sorry to vent, I'm just very disappointed and frustrated with our situation here and wanting very desperately to go back to civilization.

Oh Ashley--we are in a similar situation. I SO feel your pain! :( We used to have tons of things to do--special zoo, science center and art museum classes, rec center classes both regular and just for homeschoolers (we weren't homeschooling then--but the opportunity was there), metro park classes, farm camps...it was endless and DS did a lot even though we moved away when he was 5. Here we have almost nothing--no museums (ok, one very bad science type museum), no rec centers, very few outdoor camps and then only in the summer, a few sports. So DS knows what he's missing out on, and it is very hard for him to deal with. We've been here for 2 years and I still feel awful for having put him in this situation.

So in the summer he played soccer and took tennis lessons and in the winter he plays hockey. He's also taking private guitar lessons but we are not impressed with the only place to take them--they are expensive, disorganized and flaky and it's frustrating for DS who expects his teacher to show up for every lesson. We don't have a yahoo group and the only homeschool group is ultra religious. I could get really depressed thinking of all the opportunities he and we are missing out on. We travel a lot and do things available in the state next to us, but that's not feasible in the winter and it's not a long term solution.

Stella M
09-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I think it depends on your kids - their temperaments - and your circumstances. I have one very extroverted child who would like to be out every day and two homebodies who don't. I have to juggle. We do less than many.
Gym class 1xweek
Dancing class 2xweek
Teen study group 1xfortnight
Choir 1xweek
Teen book club 3xterm

That is not enough for my extrovert and just a little too much for the rest of us :)

Firefly_Mom
09-18-2010, 04:04 AM

Have you thought of forming your own co-op or club? All you need is one or two other families who are looking for something similar to you, and you can make it work. We are starting a weekly science club with one other family (there will be 3 kids total). I wouldn't consider it a co-op, as it isn't very structured. Basically, our kids wanted to be able to have free science exploration time, where the parents job was to provide the supplies (and be the occasional witnesses and photographers ;) ).

As for our current schedule:
Rehearsal for a community theatre production: 2 - 3x evenings a week
Homeschool tween/teen book club: 1x a month
Homeschool teen hangout group: 1x a month
Volunteering: 1x a week
Homeschool group activity: 2x month
Cooking class at a community ed center: 1x week

Plus various single serving opportunities like field trips. Our schedule changes, though, depending on the time of year. He does 2 plays a year, which means 5 - 6 months of the year has rehearsals. He volunteers year round, and does the book group year round. Other than that, much of the activities change.

CyndiLJ
11-13-2010, 02:18 AM
We have 5 kids and found ourselves on an unpleasant merry go round a couple years ago before we added the last two to our family and when we were public schooling. We cut out a LOT of stuff, and life has been happier for everyone. While now that we are homeschooling I am not totally satisfied with the level of socialization for the kids, they all seem perfectly happy and don't exactly beg to see their friends...I have to nudge them! They get along very well with one another and perhaps the sibling relationships are fulfilling enough for now.

We do TaeKwonDo with all 5 in the same class 2 nights a week, an art class once a week for all, and church youth club twice a month. There is the occasional short term class like a 4 week drama class for one. And they take music lessons but that is at our home and isn't us running around anywhere. For now I am going with "if it ain't broken, don't fix it!" as far as the socialization goes, and we love being home more nights a week together.

Cindy

Stephany
11-14-2010, 11:32 PM
My boys stay pretty busy with our homeschool group activities and participating in our HSAP but they also take Irish Fiddle lessons.

allisonsracquet
11-15-2010, 07:53 AM
My homeschooled son is 12...he has tennis 3/4 times a week (right now there are also matches on Saturdays but the season has just 2 more weeks), music lessons Thursday nights, orchestra Saturday morning (a year long program through our city's orchestra that offers 2 1/2 hours of instruction a week from Sept-May for only $150 a year.), and another small service oriented orchestra on Monday nights (this is 2 hours of rehearsal for FREE! Then they go to nursing homes and perform). My daughter (who is 14 and not homeschooled) does swim team (August-October), and tennis team (February-April). She has the same music schedule as her brother, and also does tennis once or twice a week. I only mention pricing because we are on a strict budget...so depending on the town/city, there can be some good low cost options out there.
*Their dad is a tennis pro, and he works late, so it is time they get to spend with him. Although he plays on a "junior tennis team" it is more focused on learning the rules of the game and sportsmanship versus any serious competition.
When tennis is over, he will go back to boxing 3/4 times a week. As someone else mentioned, he doesn't really do as well at "team" sports, and prefers solo kinds of activities. But he definitely needs to get his energy out!
Our family "rule" is academics, 1 sport, and 1 instrument. We stay busy because I would rather them doing those things than watching TV (I feel like they still watch plenty).
I wish we had some sort of foreign language group....those sound so interesting!

SnailGal
01-19-2011, 01:11 AM
My son is 5 and we don't do much (I wish we did a little bit more but there's not much close by and money is tight).

We go to library story time 1x a week and then they usually have one extra program on the last Sat. of each month that we go to (sometimes art factory, sometimes movie night). In the summer story time ends but they have a summer reading program that meets each Sat. so we do that too. Where we're at it's not a book club, each kid just needs to log the books they read each week and they get a small weekly prize. The "meets" are themed arts/crafts with lots of options. The library also sometimes has special free events, like a few months ago they had a free magic show. Our library is really small in a small town so I am really lucky to have such a good one.

Other than that all we do is karate class 1x a week, but it is only 25 minutes long.

I want to try to get involved in the younger programs at 4-H. I also want to try the YMCA but it's not close and not sure if we can get there often enough. There is a nice dance studio close by but DH isn't all for that lol. His cousin is in Boy Scouts but I'm not going that route now that I've read about them more, Earth Scouts or Spiral Scouts would be great for us but none nearby. I'd LOVE to get into a homeschool group but I have searched for hours on multiple days and there's zilch close by that isn't religious (and the religious ones aren't even truely close by). :(

I want to expose DS to a lot of different options and then let him stick with the 1 or 2 that he really enjoys. He enjoys karate now and I think even if he was in other stuff he'd stick with it, but he's never been exposed to any other extracurricluars. I want him to be able to try some team sports or stuff that has a little more socialization than karate has.

Batgirl
01-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Both boys do Tae Kwon Do 2x a week and Batman has Cub Scout activities about 4x per month. Batman also has Music, OT, Speech, and Social groups 1x/week through ps. I also try to schedule at least one playdate per week. We do occasional nature classes and theater performances. We don't do a coop--I think it would be too much right now. I get crazy when I over schedule us so I try to limit the number of scheduled activities we have each week. That's it for us.

Amerikiwimom
01-19-2011, 11:02 PM
I am feeling totally over scheduled but I'll have to see how things go once all of the term 1 activities begin. Currently, DD8 and DD6 have flute lessons once a week in the evening for 1 hour. DD8 had classical ballet 2 times a week for 1 hour each time- evenings also. DD8 and DD6 have French class for 3.25 hours once a week on Saturdays. Then DD8, DD6, DS4 have French Immersion once a week for 5 hours (this is a homeschooled group). Finally, they all do swimming once a week in the early evening for a total of 1.5 hours. I think that DS4 will also be taking up soccer when the season begins. Yikes!

kewb22
01-20-2011, 07:24 AM
We cut out a lot of the extras this year.
They currently do:
Swim Team
monthly social gathering
and dd -American Girl club
plus the occasional interesting field trip

Kristina Breece
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Right now, we have Story & Activity Time at the Library once a week for one hour with each of them, and Arts Castle workshops one Saturday a month for 3-5 hours for Aaron. When the season starts, he will be in soccer (twice a week- 30 minute practice, immediately followed by a game). That's around the same time that gymnastics (once a week, 30 minutes) and dance (once a week, 1 hour) will start for Paige. In June they'll start swim lessons Monday through Thursday mornings for 30 minutes each. Then when the Y opens this fall, (soccer season again!) I plan to have them continue swimming year-round. We're also starting A's piano lessons this summer.

Pilgrim
01-20-2011, 12:58 PM
This is an interesting thread. With DD's speech and reading/writing problems becoming a time-consuming issue last year, we decided to scale back her extras after school. In the past, she's done gymnastics, dance, and horseback riding at different times. So far this year, we've only kept her in a monthly 4H group.

Before the holidays, we signed both kids up for a Sat. morning bowling league, which is okay but not very social. Kids and families kind of keep to themselves.

Now, looking at HS after this school year is up, we've been discussing art classes, martial arts, and music lessons among other things.

We are by no means social butterflies and don't have much interest in being in constant motion, but I do see how living in a rural area could become frustrating. In a way, I wish we lived closer to a larger town so that there are more options. On the bright side, however, these 'extras' don't have to wait until 3:30 to begin, as they do with PS (plus, we wouldn't have the dreaded homework to cramp our style every night), so more time would be available to driving the 45-60 minutes to get to some of the bigger towns.

floridamom
01-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Even with an only child, I had to cut back on some things. It just gets to be too much running around at some point. Here's what ds does:

-Agility class with his dog (he's a Junior Handler) 1x a week
-Guitar lessons 1X a week
-Art class 1X a month
-Attends various performances throughout the year
-He was in a hs teen book club, but that seems to have fizzled out.

Strictly social:
-Our group's park day 1x a month
-Teen hangout time at a local community center -- it's weekly but we only go about once a month
-Airsoft day 1x a month - Some hs friends live out in the boonies. The kids bring their airsoft guns and play for an afternoon
-Occasional trips to the ice skating rink during public skate times
-teen game night 1x a month
-occasional dances with the teen hs group

Sam
01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm a real homebody, so I've made sure that DD's in outside activities so I don't turn her into one too lol We do:

-Soccer with the homeschool group every other Fri
-Board games with the homeschool group once a month
-Yoga through the library every other Sat
-Curling every Sun

We'll possibly look into gymnastics in the fall and I'd like to get her into some kind of French group (she was in French Immersion since K in PS until I pulled her at the beginning of Gr. 3).

kcanders
01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Tues/Thurs- Ian does a youth fitness class and Maddie does a pre-team gymnastics (unfortunately they are back to back at different YMCA's across town from each other, but this is the only exercise type class Ian has enjoyed and the only time pre-team gymnastics is offered.)
Also on Thursday - Ian has a group guitar class at the Y
Friday- Maddie is starting Piano lessons
Saturday mornings - for 3 hours we have an odyssey of the mind meeting at our house.

Except for Tues/Thurs I don't feel like it is too much. But on Tues/Thurs I am at the Y from 4 untill almost 7 and that is tough with a 10 month old.

We are also trying to organize a weekly playgroup type meeting with our homeschool group.

Kristina Breece
01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Tues/Thurs- Ian does a youth fitness class and Maddie does a pre-team gymnastics (unfortunately they are back to back at different YMCA's across town from each other, but this is the only exercise type class Ian has enjoyed and the only time pre-team gymnastics is offered.)
Also on Thursday - Ian has a group guitar class at the Y
Friday- Maddie is starting Piano lessons
Saturday mornings - for 3 hours we have an odyssey of the mind meeting at our house.

Except for Tues/Thurs I don't feel like it is too much. But on Tues/Thurs I am at the Y from 4 untill almost 7 and that is tough with a 10 month old.

We are also trying to organize a weekly playgroup type meeting with our homeschool group.

Do they still do Odyssey of the Mind? When I was in high school, they changed the name of what we did to Destination Imagination. (Which I thought just sounded stupid next to Odyssey of the Mind...)

alexdk
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
With hubby taking the only running car to work, and having to fit in errands, weekly library trips, and regular therapist & psychiatrist appointments, one each is all we have time for.

We've tried some sports, too. The kids enjoy sports, but not on an actual team - they prefer playing them at the park or in the yard with friends.
We're at the library weekly, but rarely ever do any of the library programs.

This is us!
We only own one car and live outside the city.
We also don't want to be running around every day of the week.
My son and oldest dd have both tried team sports, and even though they enjoyed the actual sport, they aren't competitive and didn't enjoy the "must win" atmosphere!

At this point in time, my oldest is the only one attending something regular. She is in Air Cadets. Her brother will join her next month when he turns 12. '
The little one wants to try out ballet again (last time she was 3), so we'll look into it for the summer, at a community centre.

mommalee93
01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
both will be doing t-ball this year on different teams. And the oldest is starting cub scouts. We are going to start going to the library in the next two weeks 9I have been mad at them and refusing to go but I am running out of excuses! Long story). We don't do a lot of formal things yet. my oldests ADD keeps it very difficult to do sometimes. We do informal stuff all the time. Over the summer we went to the summer camp at bass pro shop...that was fun...and interesting! lol

kcanders
01-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Kristina,
Yes they still have Odyssey of the Mind. We did it the last two years when my son was in school and this year we started a homeschool team. It is a lot more popular in some states than others. Most people have no idea what I am talking about. :) I wish we had it when I was in school. :)

missourimom
01-24-2011, 09:23 PM
My dd goes to a local enrichment school one day a week for an art class, a science lab (very hands on) class and a circus arts class. She loves that she gets to pack her lunch once a week.

I have just joined a homeschool group & they do a monthly field trip plus they have a Conservation Frontiers group through our state conservation dept. (kind of like scouts but on a much much smaller scale - they do projects & can earn points to turn in for hats, shirts, etc...) that meets once a month.

About once a year, usually in the late fall or mid-winter, she takes a 6 wk swimming course through the local comminty college (or a different class if they have anything for her age group) and, if we can afford it, she might take one or two one-day classes at our local zoo.

Not much compared to some schedules, but it seems to be just enough for her. :)

kcanders
01-25-2011, 09:24 AM
How are the classes at the zoo? We haven't tried any of those yet. Have you tried any of the homeschool classes at the Science Center? I keep meaning to sign the kids up for one, but forget.

missourimom
01-25-2011, 10:37 AM
How are the classes at the zoo? We haven't tried any of those yet. Have you tried any of the homeschool classes at the Science Center? I keep meaning to sign the kids up for one, but forget.

C took one this past summer all about animal eating habits. They toured the new nutrition center, got to help create food for some animals, made a food chain craft & even got to pet a few animals when they were showing them different teeth/jaw characteristics. She really enjoyed it & wants to take some more this year. They run about $12-15/class & the one last year was 90 minutes long.

I've yet to try the ones at the Science Center. They sound great & the price is right but having a 3 year old makes it tough to do that stuff during the week. He isn't one to sit quietly in a class so they might have to wait until he is a bit older.

bovinekitti
01-26-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure if they have Odyssey of the Mind where I live now. But I was very active in it when I was younger. It was huge where I grew up (Southern New Jersey). In fact, the year I was involved they had recently changed the name to 'Odyssey' from 'Olympics' of the Mind (TM infringement issues with the Olympics).

bovinekitti
01-26-2011, 12:48 AM
We keep extremely busy. 5 kids, multiple activities for each.
-DD1: Tae Kwon Do 2x/week (green belt), gymnastics 2x/week (6 hrs total/she's on a team), tennis 1x/wk, piano lessons 2x/wk (private) & group Suzuki lesson (1x week - this is group oriented/fun w/ a piano focus), art lesson 1x/wk (at piano teacher's home), violin 1x/week (private) & 1x/wk group Suzuki lesson. The Suzuki group programs & art lessons are only about 2-3x a month, and only run about 3 months total Fall/Spring. The other programs run year-round.
-DD2: Tae Kwon Do 2x/week (green belt), gymnastics 2x/week (2.5 hrs total - Recreational), tennis 1x/wk, piano lessons 2x/wk (private) & group Suzuki lesson (1x week - this is group oriented/fun w/ a piano focus), art lesson 1x/wk (at piano teacher's home), violin 1x/week (private) & 1x/wk group Suzuki lesson.
-DD3: Tae Kwon Do 2x/week (orange stripe - already tested through the tot (ages 3-4) program, so she's now into the standard Junior program), gymnastics 2x/week (3 hrs total - competition team), tennis 1x/wk ('tot' tennis program), piano lessons 2x/wk (private) & group Suzuki lesson (1x week - this is group oriented/fun w/ a piano focus), art lesson 1x/wk (at piano teacher's home), violin 2x/week (private) & 1x/wk group Suzuki lesson.
-DS: Tae Kwon Do 2x/week (white belt), gymnastics 2x/week (1.75 hrs total - Recreational), tennis for tots 1x/wk (he's clueless, but has a lot of fun chasing the balls), violin 1x/week (private), group Kindermusik class 1x/wk
-DD4: Mommy-assisted gymnastics 1x/wk, general 'open-gym' time as it fits in to the schedule or if I can have a sitter take her so I can concentrate on working with my older kids, group Kindermusik class w/mom 1x/wk, visits to the library to play & look at books with sitter, grandparents or daddy if I'm with older kids or running errands and she can't be with me.

Thankfully, we live in a very small 'city' (more like a town, but technically a city). I can make a run in about 45 min, make about 8-10 stops and essentially work like a bus.
I constantly strive to streamline things while keep the kids active and 'enriched'. The piano only came about because the kids were doing well with violin and kept begging to take lessons. I wouldn't let them quit the first instrument they begged to do (plus I play violin). Since they started taking piano, I started as well. (I never had a piano but wanted to take lessons). Now I can help them and can read bass clef.
The kids have begged to take ice-skating lessons, and though we signed up for some Sunday classes, it was a nightmare. They complained almost the entire time about their skates, it seemed to take forever to get them ready, and it was just miserable, yet somehow they proclaim it to be their 'favorite' - are you kidding me??!! My goal for that was for them was only to learn how to start, stop and not fall down. Maybe we'll try again in the future.
Last year I axed dance. It was emotionally hard for me to do so, but the times available didn't fit, and the cost per kid really added up....plus specifically color-coded shoes, tights, leotards. And then there's the extra fees for shows, costumes they wear twice. I have a lot of daughters, and they got to the age where it was no longer just ballet, but they would have had to do tap and jazz... more shoes, more costumes.
I am trying to fit in swimming, as I want them to learn how to swim/not drown....they don't need to be on a team.

Everything I've 'chosen' for them is either something I've done myself, or am doing now to set a positive example. I even learned to play tennis (took tennis 101 2x while pregnant so I'd know how not to hit the ball into outer-space!) DH and I focus on activities that are good for their bodies, their brains, their hearts, and are something they can do individually or as a group, young or old. These 'gender-neutral' activities are also family-friendly as I try to have all kids at an activity around the same time - less driving. It becomes family time for example at the tennis court on Saturdays as we hang there for a few hours, the older kids helping the younger tots with their class, dad pitching balls to the one actually paying attention, and another sister helping my son who just thinks the class is a hoot. After helping out, I'll steal away for a 1/2 hour onto the next court over and have a quick lesson. After the tots and I are done, it's snack time there, and then the older kids have their lesson while the tots watch them play.

It is getting easier now that the kids are older and I don't have to actually participate for each lesson. I can either drop-off or watch/get things done. Teachers/coaches have been pretty flexible in allowing some kids to be in the same class to make things go more smoothly, or will exchange time with kids (I watch their kid, while they watch mine....) when there's a lull between classes and my kids wait there while I 'bus' theirs :0

Outofrange
03-13-2011, 12:31 PM
wow, everyone seems to stay pretty busy. We are on a tight budget and my girls do not take more than one structured class at a time. Right now one is in dance/gymnastics and one is in music. This summer they will do swimming. I sometimes wish we had more money to throw at extra curriculars but I love that we are not stressed out by a tight schedule.

Dutchbabiesx2
03-13-2011, 01:51 PM
I always think we have few things, but then I start to list things:
Diving x2 days a week for 8yo
Soccer x1-3 days a week for 7yo
piano x1 day both
Vision therapy x1 day 7 yr old (not really an extra, but part of the busy schedule)
Mental health therapy x1 day a week for 8yo - I hope to stop soon!
Oh and HS group park day x1 day, and soon hiking x1 day a month . . . .

I need to add swimming soon.
We budget this out and it is pretty reasonable since soccer is on 6 week pay schedule and Diving is actually very reasonable for 4 hours a week, gymnastics was what would kill us! We've allocated clothing funds for some things since we don't need sturdy clothes for PS, now we buy more PJ's ;)

WE take a trip out of town every so often and hit a lot of museums, that gets pricey, but hotel is part of hubby's work since he is usually on some work trip.

Firefly_Mom
03-13-2011, 02:31 PM
wow, everyone seems to stay pretty busy. We are on a tight budget and my girls do not take more than one structured class at a time. Right now one is in dance/gymnastics and one is in music. This summer they will do swimming. I sometimes wish we had more money to throw at extra curriculars but I love that we are not stressed out by a tight schedule.

Some of my son's favorite activities have been though area community centers or the city's Parks and Recreation department. They have a number of free activities (including all day hiking trips, movie nights and craft days) as well as very inexpensive classes. Some of the classes are geared specifically for homeschoolers, while others are open to all kids.

dbmamaz
03-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Our parks and rec isnt veyr homeschool freindly. There are very limited classes in general (tho they are cheap), but the summer camps are all held AT the grade schools, and the really good summer camps - my freind w the autistic kid was waiting in line at 4 am when registration opened, and she didnt get a spot. She's first on the wait list, tho. I even suggested we organize a homeschool gym class, taught by one of the parents, run through the parks and recs. They have an nice indoor gym, but wont let anyone use it unless they pay $200 for a 2-hour rental. So a freind of mine called and was told no, their budget is too small to sponser a class. Lovely.

Wabi Sabi
03-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Up until now we've kept ds's extracurriculars fairly low-key and minimal. I don't really have the time or inclination to want to run around all evening going from one activity to another. Plus, he goes to half-days to a private school and tuition has taken any extra money that we might have otherwise been able to spend on such things. He played indoor soccer over the winter (first time in any organized group sport) and we've signed him up for t-ball this spring.

However, next year he won't be in the half-day school anymore and will be home instead. I'm hoping to use a little bit of the money we had been spending on tuition on several activities. Ds is tentatively hoping to be able to join a children's choir (1X/week), a homeschool nature group (2X/month), homeschool Lego Club (1X/month) and maybe some sort of team sport. He also currently gets together with friends several times a week (some of whom are homeschooled, others who go to school) and that's something that we'll place a very high priority on continuing to do. Hopefully we'll be able to find a nice balance of outside activities and plenty of downtime at home as well.

karemore
03-13-2011, 06:55 PM
DD, almost 6 has been doing gymnastics since she was 3 1/2. It's recreational so she only goes once a week for an hour.

She's been in a library storytime since she was 1. She LOVES the big kid storytime (K-2) because she gets to go in alone and they do a fun craft related to the story theme. I love having 45 minutes to myself in the library every week!

DD goes to Sunday school every week, and VBS for one week in the summer. At least once a month we attend a party, dinner, or event at church.

This year we started Daisy scouts. I say "we" because I am a troop leader. It was the best way to get DD into a troop. We meet every other week, and have a community wide activity once every month or two. We'll be going cabin camping this spring for a weekend.

DD is registered for Lego club at the library, but we don't attend very often. I don't think we'll sign up again.

In the fall we met with a homeschool group on wednesdays for field trips but we stopped for the winter. We plan to start up again in the next couple of weeks.

Some weeks it seems like too much other weeks it doesn't seem like enough. Most of our activities are low cost or free.

Mum2rc
03-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Right now DD is in preschool 3x week and she is allowed one additional activity. Last fall she did gymnastics, swiming in January, skating feb/march and April/may will be a Dance class.

DS is too young for most things he has just gone swimming.

Over the summer DD will do 1-2 week long day camps.

Next fall DD has asked to go a full year dance class and we will probably do some other short sessional classes as they come up.

MoonSprite
03-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Currently:

dd8: Bellydancing weekly, Girl Scouts 2x month, weekly park day, and various classes (dance/art) thru the city when available.

ds12: Archery 2x month, weekly park day, and various classes (usually lego or art related) thru the city when available.

Plus field trips.

But we are also in the SCA.

Stella M
03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Lore, your kid's activities are fantastic! Archery! Bellydancing! SCA! They must be having fun :)

Laina
03-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Right now my 5yo in half-day K does dance once a week, swim lessons once a week, and Daisy Scouts. My 3yo is in music class and swim lessons. Because we are expecting dd to be homeschooled next year, I'm trying to make our line-up of activities. I tend to overdo it, so tell me what you think.

DD (she will be six): Daisy Scouts, dance, gymnastics, swim, nature science group, chorus (each of those would be one hour per week), plus weekly or monthly homeschool get-togethers and book groups

DS (he will be four): preschool two mornings per week, swim, maybe gymnastics

Martha
03-17-2011, 11:52 AM
My younger are not involved in anything. I did that with my olders and haven't found anynlasting benefit to it.
My olders, 10 and up, do ballroom dance twice a week, golf once a week, band/guitar once a week. Plus various things that aren't "programmed" into the schedule, but are fun opportunities, such as shodowing our vet for a couple weeks, doing some electrical work for a friend, whatever...

Jeni
03-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Little late to this post, but dd 7, is usually involved in 4-6 activities during the year. Ds is almost 3, so none for him yet, but I imagine it will be about the same. Right now dd is doing soccer (about 3 times a week), piano, Girl Scouts, and choir at our old church with her best friend (she's public schooled, so they don't get to see much of each other), and 4-H (the only strictly homeschooled program she's involved in currently). She also participates in co-op classes (science, dance, drama, LA, etc, etc) usually one semester out of the year. And in the summer she will do baseball.

Ariadne
03-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Piano (teacher comes here), karate (one evening, one afternoon per week), art (one afternoon after 3pm once a month). Two of my kids start soccer soon, though, and everything will change.

I guard my time at home like a bulldog, especially the hours before 2pm. It about killed me to start my son's weekly, in-the-morning vision therapy.