PDA

View Full Version : Traveling mom and son!

journey
08-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Greetings All,

I love the information I've obtained from the curriculum forum thus far, and am looking forward to hints, suggestions and what I can offering in the future.

My son (age 12) will begin his 7th grade year, and WE ARE TRAVEL SCHOOLING! So, I will need to simplify, and think that may come in the form of using MBTP and Teaching Textbooks, with supplements along the way and adding some Ethnic Studies and foreign language, and a bit of art (mom's an artist) as our travels may likely have us moving to France.

It's a first, in terms of my formalizing, My teaching him. That said, I welcome your comments and suggestions as we embark on our journey!
I've always been quite active with his education, but am choosing to teach him full-time through our transition.
I've sort of pieced together the core classes, with the extras improvised (of sorts).

Looking forward!
Journey

Shoe
08-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the site, and I sure am jealous! I wish I had the means and the time to do a lot of traveling at this time. I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice and support here, and I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Cheers.

Topsy
08-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Welcome, Journey!! I certainly hope you will take us along with you...we like to travel around here!! ;) Do you blog your adventures? If so, please share the link with us. I know you will find the site to be helpful to you this year. Please come back and hang out with us often!

BPier12
08-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Welcome, Journey! What an exciting year you have planned! I'm sure you will find this forum a great source of support and inspiration. We are just starting our homeschooling adventure, too. My son is in 8th grade and has been in public and private schools all of his life, and we're in a situation now where homeschooling just makes the most sense to us. One of the private schools we sent him to was in France! We lived there for three years so I'm interested to hear more about your plans to move there if you feel comfortable sharing them. If you have any questions regarding moving there, I'd be happy to be a resource for you. Just PM me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. :D

journey
08-27-2010, 01:29 PM
@Shoe, the mean?. I'm having to be very very creative. It's a matter of will and desire than great sums. Thanks.
@Topsy, yes the site as already proven to be filled with a a community of engaged participant, and a great wealth of information that I can and will use. I won't be blogging...I know I won't be disciplined to follow through with all the other things I'm undertaking.
@BPier12, Thanks for your warm welcome. Where were you in France?

THANKS ALL!

BPier12
08-27-2010, 06:19 PM
@BPier12, Thanks for your warm welcome. Where were you in France?

We were in Dijon.

pandahoneybee
08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Welcome Journey! I am with Shoe, i would love to do a traveling homeschooling;) But my book haul would weigh us down! I have been trying to simplify this year like you are no doubt doing.
Here are some of the programs that we use, some are online which would make your traveling load lighter:o
We used for 7th grade, time4learning.com (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/time4learning.com), time4writing.com (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/time4writing.com), spellingcity.com, (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/spellingcity.com)
for science we have just been finding things that interest us to study getting some links from the usborne world of science internet-linked encyclopedia. also we did science programs thru the local museums, etc.
for history we did story of the world and used the usborne internet linked encyclopedia (which gave us some great sites and crafts to make the history come alive for my boys;)

Other programs we used to supplement with time4learning were, life of fred math books, singapore math and grammar workbooks and I still do reading a book out loud and we talk about comprehension, grammar, etc.

Hope this helps~

InstinctiveMom
08-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi Journey! I'm with Michelle and Shoe - how very exciting travel schooling sounds! My kids are younger, but I am very interested in your contributions to the forums as we go along. Welcome to the group!
~h

journey
08-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Michellle!

Thanks a bunch! I am taking a look at the resources you have left me. Yes I have reduced my loads incredibly, and wish I could get rid of some of the rest, but I must cover myself at some point, right...hahaha!

Thanks again.

journey
08-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Heather,

Exciting indeed. I'm only trying to live as closely to the life I feel I'm led to live. That said, my son has to come along for the ride, and without being compromised in any way. I wish that it be a rewarding experience for him. He is more and more excited about the possibilities that homeschooling has to offer.

In an effort to be effective in assisting anyone that may be able to use what I learn from the venture, I'm most willing to share the joys and pitfalls to come.

pandahoneybee
09-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Michellle!

Thanks a bunch! I am taking a look at the resources you have left me. Yes I have reduced my loads incredibly, and wish I could get rid of some of the rest, but I must cover myself at some point, right...hahaha!

Thanks again.
I am constantly putting books in the donate piles then the boys go right behind me and take them back out! I am thinking of ya;)