PDA

View Full Version : FarmSchooling

Solong
06-09-2014, 02:27 AM
What a year. Medical stuff is motivating us to live closer to town. Starting next month, we'll be splitting our time between the research station and a farm (friends are retiring and wanting to travel).

So... calling all farmers, traditional or urban... what can you suggest resource-wise for FarmSchooling? We'll be caring for sheep, swine, poultry, a ginormo garden and (possibly my favourite part) a sweet wood shop.

murphs_mom
06-09-2014, 03:07 AM
I give. What's a sweet wood shop? Many things come to mind, but I fear they may not even be close. I'd be content with just a Dremel. :p

BakedAk (Melissa) and Leanne71 (Leanne) may be the best ones to answer such a question. We only have about 800sf of garden stuff, but I think they've both got huge farm works.

Hope your farming adventures work out wonderfully well!

fastweedpuller
06-09-2014, 09:30 AM
In my nearly nonexistent free time, I run a year-round CSA (6 families). We produce approximately 60% of all we eat, mainly because we have greenhouses (hoop houses technically) wherein we do winter gardening, and we have dairy goats and meat/egg birds. We also have sheep for fiber and lawnmowing, and we've got 4 hives and we tap our trees. We have a masonry oven (I bake lots of bread). And, we make booze (wine, mead and beer).

So, I have LOADS of resources. You got something specific? I would gladly send you in the right direction.

Here's the blog, lots of different categories of things to check. fastgrowtheweeds.com (http://fastgrowtheweeds.com/)

Solong
06-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Carolyn, I'm not sure what all is in the shop! It is about 3,000 sqft of tools, tools, tools. The lathe looks particularly fascinating...

Fastweedpuller, I tucked into your blog with a cup of tea. Lovely! What am I looking for? I'm not sure yet... we do 4H and JMG. We have a mid-sized garden now and dabble in poultry and bees. Mostly, I'm looking for resources for farm math (is that a thing?), horticulture/crop management, and diy projects or recipes. She's going into G5... What were your dd's favourites?

crunchymum
06-10-2014, 11:26 PM
In my nearly nonexistent free time, I run a year-round CSA (6 families). We produce approximately 60% of all we eat, mainly because we have greenhouses (hoop houses technically) wherein we do winter gardening, and we have dairy goats and meat/egg birds. We also have sheep for fiber and lawnmowing, and we've got 4 hives and we tap our trees. We have a masonry oven (I bake lots of bread). And, we make booze (wine, mead and beer).

So, I have LOADS of resources. You got something specific? I would gladly send you in the right direction.

Here's the blog, lots of different categories of things to check. fastgrowtheweeds.com (http://fastgrowtheweeds.com/)

omg I want to come and hang out with you.
fibre? greenhouses? wine? bees? and you tap your trees! That's awesome. We have chickens and bees (although not this year apparently) and plans for a bread oven and winemaking (at a shop).

:_applaud::_applaud: (we really need a bow down smilie)

murphs_mom
06-10-2014, 11:28 PM
:_o: I think I'm green with envy. That's like more than 4X the size of our house. Oy. Take lots of photos of all your projects! I'd love to see what you folks end up making.

Our state extension's site has recipes that are meant for everyone, not just 4H'ers. Surely other states have lots of activity and project info on their sites too. I know that many of the colleges and universities will also have ag info for those who are interested in such things. Lots of horticulture info there.

My sister gave me a copy of this (Wisdom and Know-How (http://www.blackdogandleventhal.com/wisdom-and-know-how/)) a few years ago, and it's packed with lots of interesting info. I'd be surprised if your daughter couldn't find several worthy projects in there. The flower press is an easy one, and the chair caning is a bit more challenging. If you've got a 3Ksf workshop, though, she could probably crank out some seriously awesome furniture. ;)

crunchymum
06-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Carolyn, I'm not sure what all is in the shop! It is about 3,000 sqft of tools, tools, tools. The lathe looks particularly fascinating...

Oh a lathe would be awesome. My Dad has a great woodshop. He made me my 10ft harvest pine table. I love it. Sadly he lives hours away.
We are starting to set up a woodshop here. I am learning the scroll saw. If there is one in the shop (and I can't imagine there wouldn't be) there are some great books on making toys that might be fun and a great side gig to make some money.

justabout
06-11-2014, 01:46 AM
No practical ideas for help but I am green with envy and think you should start a homeschool summer camp for the rest of the forum to come and learn from your wisdom!

fastweedpuller
06-11-2014, 10:30 AM

Fastweedpuller, I tucked into your blog with a cup of tea. Lovely! What am I looking for? I'm not sure yet... we do 4H and JMG. We have a mid-sized garden now and dabble in poultry and bees. Mostly, I'm looking for resources for farm math (is that a thing?), horticulture/crop management, and diy projects or recipes. She's going into G5... What were your dd's favourites?

One thought for the lathe: Wood pens. DD makes them with her woodshop class and they sell them for $15 each!

Farm math IS a thing, if you make it one that is. Ask your dd if she can mentally move from making her honey sticks (wonderful, but more of a nicety than a necessity) to figuring out how to become self-sustaining in one or more staple crops. You guys eat potatoes, I assume? Have her figure out how many pounds you eat (start with a meal, then weekly, then have her multiply up from there). Then figure out how big a garden you would need to GROW that many potatoes. One seed potato yields how many pounds? And what percentage of those spuds are eat-now little ones and how many are bigger storage-friendly potatoes? Then figure out how to store them, how long they will last (before sprouting that is), and she might be able to see how much money growing your own will actually be. Oh: should I mention home-grown taste better? It's true, even the lowly potato is much better grown in your own soil.

I think that is the actual key to any bit of food growing. Find out what you like to eat, see how much you spend on it a year, and figure out how to shorten the supply chain to no chain at all.

And if you want her to go the farmer's market route, look to what is happening at your market now. Any gaps? How about a single high-priced crop like specialty garlic or (goodness) mushrooms?

FarmSchool around here is just life, frankly. She's always been in the kitchen or in the garden or in the milk barn with me. Same with you, so it's just an extension.

Granted the blog I write is more about gardening (and nothing about homeschooling: I try to be private-ish with all that) but I did write one particular post about kids and cooking (and thrift, truth be told):

On the one-cup cooking lesson (http://fastgrowtheweeds.com/2012/01/09/on-the-one-cup-cooking-lesson/)

Solong
06-22-2014, 03:04 AM
No practical ideas for help but I am green with envy and think you should start a homeschool summer camp for the rest of the forum to come and learn from your wisdom!

I'm happy to host - but, we'll need fastweedpuller for the wisdom side of things :) It would be super fun to have a secular fall camp. Sigh.