PDA

View Full Version : How big is space?

freerangedad
06-04-2014, 06:17 PM
This link has a picture that shows that what we see as stars are often galaxies. Better yet, the video starts with a small picture of space and then zooms into an area that appears to have no stars. That is the area the picture is of! This Amazing Shot Of 10,000 Galaxies May Be The Hubble Telescope's Most Spectacular Photo Ever (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/03/hubble-space-telescope-ultraviolet-10000-galaxies-photo_n_5440225.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular)

aspiecat
06-04-2014, 08:04 PM
I saw that today on the Interwebsies, FRD! Amazing, huh!

But another way of looking at this topic...I'd say space is as big as the hole inside Justin Bieber's head, where a brain should be.

Aspie

fastweedpuller
06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm a big fan of Phil Plait (Bad Astronomy (http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy.html)) and I cried when I saw this on his site.

You mentioned you haven't seen all of Cosmos yet...almost every episode has one of these big lightbulb moments, which I just adore/can't get enough of...hubby wants to buy the series next week so we can watch the extras, review things with DD when she does earth science/astronomy for 6th grade.

ejsmom
06-05-2014, 05:27 PM
FRD that picture is amazing. My ds has me keep a Pinterest board that I put stuff on for him. I think we have it on there. It just blows his mind. DS is very sad that Cosmos is wrapping up, too. He keeps saying "But there is so much MORE to talk about! I'm still wrapping my head around some of it." DH has been talking about buying the series, too. Cosmos inspired my son to start a "band" (I use that term VERY loosely) with a neighbor kid. Neither one is that great a singer. Ds knows how to play a recorder and the neighbor kid is first year trumpet but ds is trying to play guitar (he's never had a lesson), the neighbor kid is drumming on a bucket - frankly it's awful. BUT....ds was so very inspired by Cosmos he named their "band" Galaxy. Ds is the songwriter, yet they've decided for now not to write any music and just wing it because they don't know how to play those instruments. However ds has composed pages and pages of lyrics. His songs are called "Milky Way", "The Martian Mart", "Comet", and "Up on Jupiter". He has scientific details about the subject matter in each song, which I've overheard him explaining to the PS kid.

My kid LOVES science, and I knew Cosmos was really getting him thinking....but this isn't exactly what I expected to come of it. :confused:

freerangedad
06-05-2014, 06:01 PM
I can't wait until Cosmos comes out on DVD! It sounds fabulous. The one episode I did see was terrific.

P.S. We went to an active dinosaur quarry today. DD and I got a private tour! There were 15-20 people digging. I was surprised by the amount of noise; generators driving fans and dentist drills. I thought it was neat that the leader of the dig took 15-20 minutes to explain his theory as to why the dinosaurs were piled up where they are and to point out exactly what it was that he was digging. It was only after our guide told me of his fame that I realized I had seen him in documentaries! It was very fun.

fastweedpuller
06-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Oh my I canNOT tell DD that you guys went to an active dig. She is so blinged out finding crinoids and Petoskey stones (coral) on our beach (Lk Mich) that I think she would have a coronary if she actually went somewhere where she could, you know, FIND something. We're atop of a glacial dump here so we'd have to look really hard to find something.

She saw this documentary yesterday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Worlds_Vanished_Lives) as part of her Darwin and Evolution class: gosh, I have such a schoolgirl crush on old man Sir David Attenborough. It's a 4 part series, you can find it on YouTube if you look hard. Part one is about fossils "magic in the rocks."