PDA

View Full Version : I'm excited!

QueenBee
08-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Year after year I struggle to find a good fit of friends for both my girls and I. I'm excited that we may make progress this year - a friend and I are starting a (secular) club for kids ages 8+ based on the American Girl Doll series. The kids will read a book at home, and then discuss at the monthly meeting. We'll also talk a bit about the time period (if relevant) and do a project or activity based on the book. We'll end with free time for the girls to play and get to know each other. And this may be a way for me to connect with other homeschooling families with similar values. Though I'll be happy with just my girls seeing friends more frequently!

Just wanted to share! :D Fingers crossed for me as Friday is our first meeting!

SherryZoned
08-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Good Luck. Sounds fun!

Shoe
08-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Good luck. I hope it works out well for you.

Sarbare0704
08-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Awesome! Sounds fun! Our local library has an American Girl club which I assume is popular because they have been doing it for quite some time. Lucy doesn't have any American Girl dolls so she is not into that yet.

hockeymom
08-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Good for you! It sounds like a fantastic way to make good connections--I hope it works out for your girls and for you too! :)

BPier12
08-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Sounds like a fun idea and good for you for being proactive. Hope it all goes well!!

wild_destiny
08-26-2010, 04:04 PM
That DOES sound like fun! Crossing my fingers for you and hoping it exceeds your expectations!

QueenBee
08-27-2010, 08:36 PM
First meeting went very well! Looking forward to the year - looks like a great group!

Kylie
08-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Sounds fabulous.

I am curious how you started. Was it just a group of secular friends that said, lets start a club or did you advertise this as a secular group in your wider homeschooling community?

QueenBee
08-29-2010, 02:03 PM
No, not a group of friends (although some are friends) - we advertised on a local homeschooling yahoo group and specified that the club was secular. However, we did sort of selectively advertise. There are probably a half-dozen yahoo groups in my area, but the other mom and I specifically chose the one that we thought would generate the highest number of like-minded homeschoolers. We have 15 girls in the club and it seems like a great group. I know not everyone that signed up is secular (although almost everyone is), but as long as our desire to keep the group as such is respected we shouldn't have any problems.

As a side note - the girls are so excited. It makes everything worthwhile to see how happy not only my daughters are, but the other girls as well. And it's simple enough that it doesn't feel like a ton of work for me. Let's hope they stay excited all year! =)

chelleah
09-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Sounds so cool, if I could just find some people like this in our city.... Brilliant idea, good for you!