PDA

View Full Version : Phonics and issues with blending

mamaraby
08-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Disclaimer - I'm nowhere near ready to give up, but I am wondering how to read the cues my ds is giving me. We're using Alpha Phonics. Ds knows all the letters and their letter sounds. He can look at a word, figure out the first letter, and its sound. He'll do this with printed words and while he's riding in the car with words he picks on his own.

At first he seemed like he understood blending in lesson 1 with the five VC words, but now I'm wondering if he's picking out the words by sight instead. When we try CVC words he stares at me blankly. Is there another way that I can come at the CVC issue aside from the way Alpha Phonics approaches it? Should I put it away for awhile and come back to it figuring that he either isn't ready or needs time to digest it (which wouldn't be all that abnormal for him)?

In this one way I'm thankful Alpha Phonics doesn't have pictures b/c with just the words on the page it seems fairly clear he isn't decoding things.

StartingOver
08-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Ok, I don't know how old your little one is. But some kids just aren't ready for blending until they are ready. I don't know anything about Alpha Phonics, but I would put the book away. Then I would work with him like this...

Ask him to go get a c... u... p... Just saying the sounds along. If he doesn't get it, say it a bit faster c.. u.. p..

Please get me the b...a...g... & etc.

Learning that letters smooshed together make words is difficult sometimes. Also play rhyming games... cat, bat, fat, mat, pat.

You can also label things around the house like put a card on the bed..... b...e...d. or d...e...s...k. by leaving spaces he can see that the letters smoosh together to make the word bed, in stead of just bed.

When it clicks he will most likely take off. For my children this click happened at different ages, dd 8, ds 6, ds 4, ds 3.

If you don't have the Leap Frog DVD's I really recommend them highly. they teach these skills effortlessly for most children.