PDA

View Full Version : WinterPromise? As a Secular Curriculum?

MamaCurls
08-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Hi there! I'm new to the site, so bear with me if this has been asked before.

My DD is only three, so I'm not looking to do too much formal schooling yet but I am gathering information and resources to be ready when the time comes.

Anyway, I recently received the WinterPromise catalog and I must say that I'm impressed with the program. It seems similar to Sonlight in that it's literature based but it looks like there are more activities and such to go along with it.

Has anyone used it before? What do you think? Is it hard to "deBible"?

We are Christian/Catholic so I don't mind some religion. And I tend to be religion/philosophy a la carte, so I'm hoping to include some background of many religions and spiritual paths in my DD's education but I really, really don't want that to be the basis.

Wilma
08-24-2010, 06:43 PM
WP is more project oriented than SL. If you like doing more hands on, WP would be more up your alley. As for religion, I think of the publishers of WP being more Evangelical than the publishers of SL, who are conservative Calvinists. So any religion in WP may be more overt, whereas SL usually lets the material speak for itself, KWIM? I have heard that changes in high school. I know of many people who do SL in a secular manner, but I just don't know anyone who does WP, secular or otherwise. At your child's age, I would think any curriculum would have more Bible stories and not doctrine.

HTH!

Teri
08-24-2010, 07:04 PM
I inherited one of the WP sets (the animals one, K-3). Religion was sparse in it. It put it into the schedule as "Bible Time", but it didn't include any religion in the curriculum. The literature is very similar to what we have with MBTP.
What I didn't like (and I didn't end up using it) was how it was laid out. It laid it out with the days of the week. I am NEVER on track to do it on the day of the week they tell me to, so I was always trying to figure out where we were!
I much prefer the lesson being numbered and I just continue to the next one, whether that is two in one day or three days in between. I never feel "behind" when they are just numbered and I have a rough idea of how far we need to be at certain points of the year, but being told that this is the "Wednesday" lesson and I haven't done Monday yet, was disconcerting for me. :p

tekari
09-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi! I mostly lurk around here because I am just not on often, but this caught my eye. We just got done using the FIRST HALF of Ready to Learn and Journey of the Imagination. There are a lot of fun activities and my daughter loved the way the units were organized. As far as secularizing, that was pretty easy to do. We replaced the spine for the Zoo unit because it went HEAVY into criticizing Darwin which is absurd to teach any child of this age regardless of religious belief IMHO. 3 and 4 year olds don't care about that, they just want to know which animal has a long tongue, which one eats what, what do they look like, etc. Anyway, we replaced is with an Animal Encyclopedia by DK. That works just fine - you just look up the pages that have the "animal of the week" and read that instead. Also we skip the Bible readings because the two Bible books they had were preachy. (I do read my daughter Bible stories because I read her lots of literature from different belief systems 0 I just avoid the ones that say this or that way is right or the only way). I think that was about it. We actually switched to Sonlight this year though because she actually got frustrated with all the activities and we were only reading 1 full story a day where with Sonlight we are reading several parts and at least a full story a day with less activities. I am actually going to wait and do the SECOND half of WP Preschool with her after we finish Sonlight preschool (oh, we are doing P3/4 and P4/5 because I couldn't figure it would hurt to read the extra stories from P3/4 - my daughter loves to be read to). I hope this helps, and if you want to ask me more questions about it, please let me know by contacting me via Private Message as I don't come in here often!! Good Luck and I hope that helps!! Kateri

floridamom
09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi all,
I'm brand new here but thought I'd jump in on this one. My son is in 7th grade this year, and I've been looking at Winter Promise for a few years, probably since they first started. I like the combination of SL style and hands on. I finally took the plunge and bought the American Crossing instructor's guide. I'm getting the other books from the library. There are a few not available at my library, but I've been able to find decent substitutions. I didn't get the big time traveler's activity book, and I'm skipping any books with religious overtones (we are atheists). I do think WP can be tweaked for use by secular homeschoolers, but it takes some work. I've not tried their science, but I think that would be harder to work with. hth
Kathy