PDA

View Full Version : Boone NC mama looking for other local homeschoolers

Journey of Life mama
08-24-2010, 11:50 AM
I am so glad I found this link. We are in the second year of homeschooling. I have a 10 year old daughter--who named our homeschool Journey of Life Academy--lol. I also have a 2 year old son so, my hands are full. We are looking for other families in the area to meet up with, play and share. Willow is into archery, dragons, reading, science, tap dancing, wants to get into drama and all sorts of things. She gets along well with everyone she meets. We don't have any problem with religious homeschoolers--but it is NOT our thing and that seems to be the only homeschooling groups and options available here--so we are looking for some other options. I am a certified montessori elementary teacher and love to learn. My husband and I are pretty laid-back and brought the island lifestyle mentality back to mainland when we moved back last year. We love to be outdoors and would love to get in touch with some new friends!! aloha....

Sarbare0704
08-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the group!!

hmsklprfr
08-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi and welcome! I am new here too, been homeschooling for 15+ years. That has always been one of my issues with co-ops most are religious based. There may be others in your area feeling the same, maybe you should start one of your own. You can get a list of homeschools in your county from the state of NC and send letters out to see if any are interested.

www.homeschoolingprofessor.com

Shoe
08-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Hi and welcome to the site. There are a lot of homeschoolers from NC here. Make sure you check out the NC Group page here (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=43).

Cheers.

Journey of Life mama
08-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! You are all making me really consider starting a secular group in my community. There really does have to be some other people out there who want a secular option or at least an open-ended one that welcomes everyone from all walks without the intent of spreading their own spiritual beliefs. My intent to homeschool is to provide my kids with the best education and to let them explore whatever they have an interest in. The public school has become such a box and learning is no longer enjoyable plus as parents why should we leave our children's education in the hands of strangers. I want my kids to learn from many different people but I also want to know what and how they are learning. Worksheets and sitting at a desk for 6 hours a day is not cutting it. So, we find ourselves in the second year of homeschooling and trying to put together a curriculum as a base but also be as flexible as possible. We are going to use a lot from ellen mchenry's basement workshop, math mammoth, chester comix, and are still looking for some language arts units to supplement the battle of the books we will be doing. Any ideas on creative unit studies would be great--thanks so much.

Topsy
08-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Welcome!! I responded to your post in the NC Group, but also wanted to suggest this article (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/220-How-To-Find-Other-Secular-Homeschoolers-Near-You) to you for pondering as you continue looking for other h-schoolers nearby!

Tanionsmomma
01-03-2014, 12:40 PM
I am so glad I found you on here. My son is 9 and we have been looking for a group that is not religious based. I'm not opposed to it but I don't want to feel like my son is being singled out for not having a big religious background. We like in Blowing Rock.

lukesusan
07-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Hi, are you still in Boone and have you friend a group? - Susan

NurseMamaD
11-09-2015, 03:02 AM
I don't know if she is but we are! We are looking for homeschooling friends in the Boone neighborhood, send me a message!

Penny Langley
07-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Hi,
I am moving to the Boone Area and am wondering if you are still homeschooling. My daughter is starting 7th grade and we will homeschool her this year. I would love to meet others in the area that have blazed this trail.

Jenwest
11-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Hi Mommas!! Iím new to the area of Boone and looking for non-religious homeschool groups. We have an 8 yr old boy and an 11 yr old boy. We have only been doing homeschool since feb. and traveling. Looking forward to connecting.